|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lizzie when she begins having sex with Drayle?
2. Why is Sweet not given permission to leave her cottage?
3. How old is Lizzie when Drayle begins to visit her at night at the plantation?
4. What does Yancy give Fran when she visits?
5. Who makes Lizzie uncomfortable when she is dancing with Drayle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Lizzie's relationship with Drayle.
2. What is the setting for the story and who are the six slaves who appear as the story begins?
3. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
4. What is Mawu's plan and what could happen to her if it fails?
5. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
6. How does Lizzie's relationship with Drayle negatively affect the other slaves such as Jeremiah who attempt to interact with Drayle just as Lizzie does?
7. Who is Mawu?
8. Why are the Drayles' slaves afraid when Fran threatens to sell Lizzie?
9. Why does Mawu want to escape regardless of the cost and what reasons would the other women slaves at the resort have for joining her?
10. What are two possible reasons that Fran decides to sell Lizzie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author shows more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples of loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Glory. What is her role in the story? What is the author trying to accomplish by developing Glory's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lizzie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are her dreams and fears? What is most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)