|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mawu's distinguishing characteristics?
2. How many slaves are sitting outside a cabin talking and chewing on flowers as the novel begins?
3. What color is Rabbit's hair?
4. Why does Drayle come to Lizzie's room frequently?
5. What does Lizzie do when Fran turns her over to the man in the black hat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
2. What are some reasons for Baby's sexual assault on Lizzie?
3. Who is Big Mama and what is her relationship with Fran?
4. What does the character of Glory represent in the story?
5. What are two possible reasons that Fran decides to sell Lizzie?
6. What are two possible reasons for why Fran steals Lizzie's children from her?
7. How does Drayle treat Fran regarding his relationship with Lizzie and why does Fran have no recourse for his actions?
8. Why are Lizzie's children pushed aside when Fran's nephew, Billy, arrives for a visit?
9. Who is Mawu?
10. Explain what the author means by "Reenie's look"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Drayle. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are his dreams and fears? What is most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances of struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WENCH? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)