|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the event with the masters take place in an attic?
2. How many slaves are sitting outside a cabin talking and chewing on flowers as the novel begins?
3. The slave women receive invitations to _________________________.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the slave women who travels with her master?
5. What does Fran do to Lizzie when she witnesses Lizzie slapping Nate for taunting his sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mawu's life like with her master, Tip, on the plantation?
2. What are the circumstances in which Drayle first approaches Lizzie sexually?
3. Who is Big Mama and what is her relationship with Fran?
4. What does the character of Glory represent in the story?
5. How does Lizzie's relationship with Drayle negatively affect the other slaves such as Jeremiah who attempt to interact with Drayle just as Lizzie does?
6. Explain what the author means by "Reenie's look"?
7. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
8. How important are the physical looks of Lizzie's children in Fran's world?
9. What are some reasons for Baby's sexual assault on Lizzie?
10. Explain how the author implies that Drayle is God to Lizzie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in WENCH. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances of prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
WENCH is a classic example of historical fiction. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)