|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is given to Lizzie's son?
2. What does Lizzie give Drayle in exchange for his taking her to meet her sister?
3. Who hits the man in #87 over the head with a skillet?
4. How old is Lizzie when she begins having sex with Drayle?
5. What had the woman in #15 once shown to Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mawu want to escape regardless of the cost and what reasons would the other women slaves at the resort have for joining her?
2. How does Philip view Lizzie's relationship with Drayle and why won't Philip allow any contact between himself and Lizzie?
3. Why does Lizzie begin to beat her children after they are abandoned by Fran?
4. How does the dinner party between the white men and their slave women show how the slaves are viewed by freed blacks?
5. Why is Fran's relationship with Lizzie's children especially hurtful to Lizzie?
6. Why are the Drayles' slaves afraid when Fran threatens to sell Lizzie?
7. What is the setting for the story and who are the six slaves who appear as the story begins?
8. How would Fran's selling Lizzie hurt Drayle and what point would Fran be making by doing this?
9. How does Lizzie's relationship with Drayle negatively affect the other slaves such as Jeremiah who attempt to interact with Drayle just as Lizzie does?
10. Who is Big Mama and what is her relationship with Fran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in WENCH. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Lizzie learns from Mawu? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Lizzie always recall about her experiences during her time with Mawu?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WENCH? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)