|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Sweet buried?
(a) Her body is placed in the river.
(b) Her body is placed directly in the ground.
(c) Her body is cremated.
(d) Her body is placed in a pine casket.
2. What does Lizzie give Philip before he leaves with the barber?
(a) A blueberry pie.
(b) The address of the Tennessee plantation.
(c) A lock of her hair.
(d) A poem.
3. Where does Reenie now work as a maid?
(b) New York.
4. Which one of the slave women does Lizzie begin to teach how to read and write?
5. Whose cottage catches fire on the night of the barbecue?
(a) Sir and Reenie's.
(b) Tip and Mawu's.
(c) Lizzie and Drayle's.
(d) Philip and Virginia's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl Philip has been seeing?
2. In what state does Lizzie live with her master?
3. What is the cause of the rash on Sweet's neck and shoulders?
4. What has Drayle not told Fran?
5. What craft did Big Mama do and eventually lost her eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nature of Drayle's character in that he can do much harm under the pretense of doing the right thing.
2. Why is Sweet's death so bittersweet for the women?
3. Why does religion play such a big part in the lives and deaths of the slaves?
4. How does the African legend of Mawu and Lisa give Lizzie hope for her future?
5. Why has Mawu waited a year in the cabin in the woods after running away from her master?
6. What reasons do the other slaveholders give to Drayle for why he should free Philip?
7. What does Fran's presence at the Tawawa House mean for Lizzie?
8. What frightens Lizzie about the prospect that Drayle could free Philip?
9. Why is Lizzie reminded of watching a dog die while lying in the sun after Philip is punished by Drayle?
10. How has Lizzie romanticized her position in the Drayle household throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)