|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What consumes Lizzie's thoughts as they prepare to leave the resort?
(c) Her unborn child.
(d) Killing Drayle.
2. What do Reenie and Lizzie cook over the barbecue fire?
(a) Pork chops.
(c) Beef tips.
3. What is the cause of the rash on Sweet's neck and shoulders?
(c) Poison ivy.
4. Drayle starts Nate working ___________________.
(a) In the house.
(b) On the accounts.
(c) With the horses.
(d) In the fields.
5. What is the name of the town which is the destination of the summer trips?
(d) St. Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mawu had told Lizzie that Mawu was named after whom?
2. How is Sweet buried?
3. What has Drayle not told Fran?
4. Whose cottage catches fire on the night of the barbecue?
5. Who is Sweet's oldest daughter who has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Drayle's decision to send Nate to school in Ohio a bittersweet one for Lizzie?
2. Explain the nature of Drayle's character in that he can do much harm under the pretense of doing the right thing.
3. How does Reenie's behavior show that her life has changed dramatically for the worse in the time since she saw the other women last Summer?
4. What is the most obvious reason that Lizzie does not run away from Drayle at the end of the story?
5. What spiritual connection does Mawu feel for Lizzie?
6. How does the African legend of Mawu and Lisa give Lizzie hope for her future?
7. What is Reenie's position on aging and freedom?
8. How does the absence of Sweet, Reenie and Mawu alter Lizzie's feelings about Drayle?
9. Does the author bring closure to Lizzie's story at the end of the novel?
10. How is Lizzie's bondage on the ship more like a slave than a preferred mistress?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)