|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizzie do when Drayle refuses to answer her request?
(a) Take a bath.
(b) Cook for Drayle.
(c) Speak to Drayle.
(d) Have sex with Drayle.
2. How is Sweet buried?
(a) Her body is placed in the river.
(b) Her body is cremated.
(c) Her body is placed in a pine casket.
(d) Her body is placed directly in the ground.
3. Who helps Lizzie find Mawu?
4. What is Sweet doing when the slave women go to her cabin?
(a) She is in the fetal position on the floor.
(b) She is naked and lying on her bed.
(c) She is cooking.
(d) She is reading poems.
5. Why does Lizzie not trust the porter on the train?
(a) He gropes her at every opportunity.
(b) He has snatched her purse from her.
(c) He has turned in runaway slaves for the money.
(d) He whispers with other white men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lizzie do in hopes of terminating her pregnancy?
2. Who delivers a message from Philip to Lizzie?
3. Which of the following does Lizzie NOT wish for?
4. What does Drayle tell Lizzie when he returns from the fishing trip?
5. What does Lizzie give to Mawu before she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sweet's master behave so cavalierly at her death?
2. How does the African legend of Mawu and Lisa give Lizzie hope for her future?
3. Explain the nature of Drayle's character in that he can do much harm under the pretense of doing the right thing.
4. Why does Lizzie think that Drayle freed Philip for her sake?
5. What is the most obvious reason that Lizzie does not run away from Drayle at the end of the story?
6. Does the author bring closure to Lizzie's story at the end of the novel?
7. What is the ultimate decision Lizzie makes regarding her pregnancy and her ultimate goal?
8. Describe how the old man who was a freed slave traveling on the train to Ohio signifies the importance of freedom regardless of age?
9. Why does religion play such a big part in the lives and deaths of the slaves?
10. How does Lizzie show her naivete regarding the rape on the ship and Drayle's reaction to it?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)