|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what holiday does Fran order the entire house to be cleaned?
(b) Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's Day.
2. Who is Lizzie's blood sister?
3. Who tells Drayle that Mawu plans to run away?
4. What color is Rabbit's hair?
5. Who is Drayle's favorite slave?
6. Who is the only woman Mawu knows who might be able to help her get away from her master?
7. Why does Drayle send Lizzie and her children to move to the slave quarters?
(a) Fran is ill with a contagious disease.
(b) The Big House is being renovated.
(c) Billy needs the extra bedroom.
(d) He has a new mistress.
8. What does Lizzie do when Fran turns her over to the man in the black hat?
9. Who convinces Drayle to let the slaves have Sundays off?
10. Who is Tip?
(a) Mawu's brother.
(b) Lizzie's son.
(c) Philip's brother.
(d) Mawu's master.
11. What request does Lizzie make of her master?
(a) Buy her a new dress.
(b) Give her a necklace.
(c) Let her go swimming.
(d) Set their children free.
12. What does Yancy give Fran when she visits?
(a) Embroidered handkerchiefs.
(b) An emerald brooch.
(c) Green taffeta fabric.
(d) Sweets from Charleston.
13. Who is the only one of the slaves who can read and write?
14. Which kind of slave is the most dangerous in the South?
(a) A rebellious one.
(b) An informed one.
(c) A bitter one.
(d) An ignorant one.
15. Why is Sweet not given permission to leave her cottage?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is being punished.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She does not have the day off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lizzie's master?
2. Which one of the slave women is not happy about the event with the masters?
3. Yancy visits Fran to celebrate Fran's _______________ birthday.
4. Who awakens Drayle and Lizzie as they sleep in Lizzie's storeroom?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Lizzie dreams about for her children?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)