|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helene want to give Harry on opening night?
2. How much are Foster's securities worth?
3. How does Susanna feel after Fuller verbally attacks her?
4. What does Pi Ying threaten those who complain with?
5. Who ends up being Billy the Poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Barnstable?
2. According to the Sheriff what had Billy the Poet been doing?
3. Why does the salesman go home in "Where I Live?"
4. What does Joe do the morning after he sneaks away?
5. What does Newt want to tell Catharine on their walk?
6. What happens after the final performance in "Who Am I This Time?"
7. What happens at the diner the night after George finds Jim in the school?
8. What happens when Joe leaves the orphanage in "D.P.?"
9. What happens during tests of the Euphio?
10. How does George blame himself for his problems in "More Stately Mansions?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Vonnegut's use of language in this collection of stories. Choose two stories that have very different prose and compare and contrast them. How does the language, syntax, and format develop each story in its own way? How do these literary decisions affect the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How are international relations represented in Vonnegut's stories? Write about how different countries clash, work together, and affect each other in this collection of stories. How does the use of international relationships develop these stories? What message is delivered about these relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Use stories from Welcome to the Monkey House to explain how the individual is at odds with the government. Examine the roles each play, who has power over whom, and the way they interact.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)