|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Long Walk to Forever," where do Newt and Catharine take a nap?
2. What does Catharine feel when she watches Newt sleeping?
3. How does Billy the Poet disguise himself from Nancy?
4. In "Miss Temptation," what does Susanna tell Fuller he needs in order to find a girl?
5. How is Barnstable described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules of the chess game in "All the King's Horses?"
2. How does the narrator describe Barnstable?
3. How does George reconcile with his family?
4. What happens the first time the narrator visits Gloria's house in "Go Back to Your Precious Wife and Son?"
5. In "The Hyannis Port Story," what is Commodore Rumfoord devoted to?
6. How does Catharine change when she goes to the orchard with Newt?
7. Why do humans who have not left their bodies think their way of life is better?
8. In "The Lie," why is Eli so nervous about telling his father his entrance exam results?
9. According to the Sheriff what had Billy the Poet been doing?
10. How does Alma describe Foster's childhood to the investor in "The Foster Portfolio?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Vonnegut use inner monologue to develop his characters and plot? Reflect on the stories that use inner monologue to reveal what a character is really thinking. How does this work for the stories? How would the stories differ without this technique?
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut. Use your findings to explain why he writes the stories he does. Consider the themes, the personalities, and the locations in this collection.
Essay Topic 3
Select one story from this collection and write a critical analysis that focuses on the story's relationship to reality. Form an argument about the "usefulness" of the story as many of Vonnegut's tales seem to carry a message or warning for the reader.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)