|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the salesman do after eating lunch?
2. In "Where I Live," what does the salesman sell?
3. What handicaps does George Bergeron wear?
4. What does Helene want to give Harry on opening night?
5. What makes the rest of New England different from Barnstable?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Lie," why is Eli so nervous about telling his father his entrance exam results?
2. Why does the salesman go home in "Where I Live?"
3. How does George reconcile with his family?
4. What were the government solutions to overpopulation in "Welcome to the Monkey House?"
5. What story does the stranger tell Harold?
6. What does the investor realize about Foster?
7. What happens at the Bergeron house after Harrison is killed?
8. How does Alma describe Foster's childhood to the investor in "The Foster Portfolio?"
9. In "The Manned Missiles," what happens to Stepan and Bud?
10. How does George blame himself for his problems in "More Stately Mansions?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vonnegut writes several stories that focus on life in the future. Choose three stories about the future and compare and contrast them. Consider what advancements are made, how people live their lives, major themes, and Vonnegut's warnings for the future.
Essay Topic 2
Research the life of Kurt Vonnegut. Use your findings to explain why he writes the stories he does. Consider the themes, the personalities, and the locations in this collection.
Essay Topic 3
Vonnegut uses different narrators to highlight different aspects of his stories. Explain how his use of third vs. first person narrators impact the short stories they narrate. Which narrators are most effective and why? Which narrators are least effective and why?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)