|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the narrator and Anne about Grace's house?
2. Where does the salesman visit in "Where I Live?"
3. Why does Newt kiss Catharine during their walk?
4. Where is Barnstable close to?
5. What does Newt ask Catharine before kissing her a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the stranger tell Harold?
2. Why is Paul frightened in "Next Door?"
3. What happens after Harrison Bergeron escapes from jail?
4. In "Report on the Barnhouse Effect," what is Barnhouse's unique talent?
5. How does the narrator describe Barnstable?
6. In "Long Walk to Forever," how do Newt and Catharine know each other?
7. What makes David first question the climate and culture of the Works?
8. What happens during tests of the Euphio?
9. How does Grace react to her home when she returns from the hospital in "More Stately Mansions?"
10. In "Adam," why is Heinz disappointed when he goes home after his wife gave birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the stories from Welcome to the Monkey House and examine the use of symbolism in that story. What do the symbols represent? How does this build the story?
Essay Topic 2
Vonnegut once said: "High school is closer to the core of the American experience than anything else I can think of." How does this quote relate to the story "The Kid Nobody Could Handle?" What type of high school experience is Vonnegut describing? How does this describe the American experience?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two families from this set of short stories and compare and contrast them. Respond to the ways the families interact with each other, their general level of happiness, and how the family life impacts the development of the story.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)