|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the giant chess board, what piece is Kelly?
(a) The white king.
(b) The white bishop.
(c) A black pawn.
(d) The black king.
2. Where does the salesman find the directors?
(a) A gym.
(b) A bar.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A shack.
3. Who ends up being Billy the Poet?
(a) A volunteer.
(b) A mailman.
(c) A sheriff.
(d) A young boy.
4. In "The Foster Portfolio," who left Foster the securities?
(a) His father.
(b) His investor.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His grandfather.
5. How does Alma describe Foster's grandfather?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Hagar come running to her house in "Next Door?"
2. What did fishermen in Barnstable discover?
3. What handicaps does George Bergeron wear?
4. What impresses Vonnegut about the new version of the Random House dictionary?
5. What does Harry do a week after his final performance with Helene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alma describe Foster's childhood to the investor in "The Foster Portfolio?"
2. How does George blame himself for his problems in "More Stately Mansions?"
3. Why is the salesman looking for the library trustees?
4. Why does David look for a job at the Works in "Deer in the Works?"
5. What changes does Barnstable go through, as described in "Where I Live?"
6. In "The Hyannis Port Story," what is Commodore Rumfoord devoted to?
7. According to the Sheriff what had Billy the Poet been doing?
8. What story does the stranger tell Harold?
9. How does Catharine change when she goes to the orchard with Newt?
10. What does Joe do the morning after he sneaks away?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)