|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Vonnegut about new dictionaries?
(a) The inclusion of works of art.
(b) The number of words.
(c) The long definitions.
(d) The lack of foreign langauge translation.
2. What does Catharine say when Newt proposes marriage?
(c) You wish.
3. What does Fuller see when he waits for Susanna at the drug store the day after he verbally attacked her?
(a) Delivery men.
(b) Moving men.
(c) No one.
(d) Angry men.
4. Who is the narrator of "Where I Live?"
(a) The salesman conscience.
(b) The salesman.
(c) A third person narrator.
(d) A young, female resident of Barnstown.
5. What does Newt do to make Catharine hug him at the end of "Long Walk to Forever?"
(b) Compliments her.
(c) Turns and calls to her.
(d) Says he loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Harrison Bergeron when he was taken away from his family?
2. What does Pi Ying threaten those who complain with?
3. How does Vonnegut describe Merriam Webster's definitions?
4. What handicaps does George Bergeron wear?
5. Where is the salesman told to go to try to get a sale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Barnstable go through, as described in "Where I Live?"
2. Why is Paul frightened in "Next Door?"
3. What does Newt want to tell Catharine on their walk?
4. What story does the stranger tell Harold?
5. What makes David first question the climate and culture of the Works?
6. Why does Eli's father talk to committee members, and what is the result?
7. In "The Lie," why is Eli so nervous about telling his father his entrance exam results?
8. Why does Paul call the radio station in "Next Door?"
9. How does Catharine change when she goes to the orchard with Newt?
10. What do Sousa and Heinz talk about in the hospital?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)