|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which society sends the least number of men to war in proportion to the whole population?
2. What is the second part of capital use in every growing society?
3. What does the interest rate on borrowed money need to be to prevent usury?
4. During the sixteenth century, who claimed all of America as its own?
5. Where should the capital of a manufacturer generally reside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of where the capital of a manufacturer resides?
2. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
3. How does a country fix the rate of interest on borrowed money so as to discourage usury?
4. Define the original two kinds of militia.
5. What are the three ways capital is used in the natural growth of a new society?
6. What is the first duty of the sovereign and how is it performed?
7. How has the natural order of growth been inverted in some of the the modern states of Europe?
8. What happens when a country forbids collecting interest on borrowed money?
9. What are the two ways a borrower can use borrowed stock?
10. What is a drawback?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"When a nation binds itself by treaty either to permit the entry of certain goods from one foreign country which it prohibits from all others, or to exempt the goods of one country from duties to which it subjects those of all others, the country, or at least the merchants and manufacturers of the country, whose commerce is so favored, must necessarily derive great advantage from the treaty." Explain with examples, how treaties, though they may be advantageous to the merchants and manufacturers of the favored, are necessarily disadvantageous to those of the favoring country.
Essay Topic 2
Define and give examples for the two different meanings of the word 'value' as applied to use and exchange.
Essay Topic 3
As explained in the text, compare and contrast the land-carriage of goods to the water-carriage of goods.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)