|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As capital increases in any country, what happens to the profits which can be made by employing them ?
2. Which profession is not an example of an artificer?
3. Who concluded the treaty of commerce between England and Portugal in 1703?
4. What does the part of the annual production of the land and labor of any country which replaces a capital do?
5. What was the first article in the treaty of commerce between England and Portugal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the capital of a retailer and manufacturer differ?
2. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
3. What were the consequences of the German and Scythian nations overrunning the western provinces of the Roman empire?
4. How does the capital of the wholesale merchant support the productive labor of society?
5. Why does the colony of a civilized nation which takes possession of thinly inhabited country make rapid advances in that country?
6. What are the two ways to impose land tax?
7. What is necessary for commerce and manufacturing to flourish in a nation?
8. What are bounties?
9. How is the interest rate for borrowed money determined?
10. In the North American colonies, what does an artificer do who has acquired a little more stock than is necessary for carrying on his own business in supplying the neighboring country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What knowledge and ready organizational systems do colonists carry with them to build a new colony? How does the abundance of land affect the colonists' knowledge and systems?
Essay Topic 2
The gross revenue of a great country includes the whole annual produce of their land and labor and their net revenue, calculated after deducting the expense of maintaining their fixed and circulating capital. Explain with examples how fixed capital is maintained and how this maintenance benefits revenue.
Essay Topic 3
Define and give examples for the two kinds of stock a workman may possess. Explain and give examples for the three ways stock is used for personal consumption.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)