|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principal cause of the rapid progress of the American colonies?
2. In Great Britain, what is inserted into the annual land and malt taxes?
3. How are almost all loans made?
4. What is a common source of revenue for small republics?
5. How are capitals diminished?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the military an example of unproductive labor?
2. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
3. How does a country fix the rate of interest on borrowed money so as to discourage usury?
4. How is the interest rate for borrowed money determined?
5. The whole annual produce of the land and labor of every country, which comes either from the ground, or from the hands of the productive laborers, is divided into what two parts?
6. Why would the proprietor of a colonist's land not dispute over wages, and indeed pay high wages?
7. What is the difference between the two kinds of labor?
8. What are the two ways to impose land tax?
9. What is necessary for commerce and manufacturing to flourish in a nation?
10. How does the capital of the wholesale merchant support the productive labor of society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain with examples, the three reasons why laying extraordinary restraints upon particular countries with which the importation of goods of almost all kinds from balance of trade is not disadvantageous as supposed, but rather the results of national prejudice and animosity.
Essay Topic 2
Explain with examples what happens to commerce in a society when gold and silver are devalued.
Essay Topic 3
"The increase and riches of commercial and manufacturing towns contributed to the improvement and cultivation of the countries to which they belonged in three different ways." Explain with examples the three ways mentioned in the quote above.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)