|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As capital increases in any country, what happens to the profits which can be made by employing them ?
2. What determines the ordinary market price of land?
3. How are capitals increased?
4. What must defray the expense of defense and government?
5. What regulates the quantity of materials and provisions that a town buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do most men choose to employ their capitals in the improvement and cultivation of land?
2. How is unproductive labor maintained by revenue?
3. What is necessary for commerce and manufacturing to flourish in a nation?
4. What is the principal cause for the rapid progress of the American colonies towards wealth?
5. What is the difference between the two kinds of labor?
6. What is the first duty of the sovereign and how is it performed?
7. Define the original two kinds of militia.
8. The whole annual produce of the land and labor of every country, which comes either from the ground, or from the hands of the productive laborers, is divided into what two parts?
9. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
10. How does the capital of the wholesale merchant support the productive labor of society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and give examples for the two kinds of stock a workman may possess. Explain and give examples for the three ways stock is used for personal consumption.
Essay Topic 2
There are two different views concerning whether or not a nation in wealthy. One view says that money is the measure of wealth, while the other says movable goods are the measure. Compare and contrast these two points of view.
Essay Topic 3
"Though all capitals are destined for the maintenance of productive labor only, yet the quantity of that labor which equal capitals are capable of putting into motion varies extremely according to the diversity of their employment." Explain and give examples of the four different ways that capital can be employed and tell why these four ways are absolutely necessary.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)