|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which profession is not an example of an artificer?
2. What is not an example of unproductive labor?
3. What is true of the capital employed in agriculture and in the retail trade of any society?
4. Who established the French colony of St. Domingo?
5. What was unserviceable for corn merchants, exporters, and importers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a country forbids collecting interest on borrowed money?
2. What are the four general maxims regarding taxes?
3. How has the natural order of growth been inverted in some of the the modern states of Europe?
4. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
5. What is the difference between the two kinds of labor?
6. How is the interest rate for borrowed money determined?
7. How is the military an example of unproductive labor?
8. What is the principal cause for the rapid progress of the American colonies towards wealth?
9. What is a drawback?
10. What is necessary for commerce and manufacturing to flourish in a nation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With specific examples, compare and contrast the forms of defense among these different societies - 1. a nation of hunters; 2. a nation of shepherds; 3. a nation of husbandmen with no foreign commerce or manufacture.
Essay Topic 2
Explain with examples how the discovery of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope opened an more extensive range to foreign commerce than even that of America.
Essay Topic 3
Merchants and manufacturers desire the most extensive foreign sale for their goods but their home country has no jurisdiction in foreign nations. Consequently, they are obliged to petition for certain encouragements to exportation. These encouragements what are called drawbacks. Explain with examples how drawbacks work for both the exporting and importing country. What are the benefits and/or hindrances to both?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)