|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must defray the expense of defense and government?
2. What is the principal cause of the rapid progress of the American colonies?
3. Who concluded the treaty of commerce between England and Portugal in 1703?
4. At the time the book was written, what commodity regulated the value of all other home-made commodities?
5. What comes before convenience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three ways capital is used in the natural growth of a new society?
2. What are the two ways a borrower can use borrowed stock?
3. What is the difference between the two kinds of labor?
4. What are bounties?
5. According to the author, why do men prefer slave labor rather than the services of freemen?
6. Define the original two kinds of militia.
7. What are the two ways to impose land tax?
8. Why does want of parsimony in time of peace necessitate the contracting of debt in time of war?
9. What were the consequences of the German and Scythian nations overrunning the western provinces of the Roman empire?
10. How has the natural order of growth been inverted in some of the the modern states of Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The increase and riches of commercial and manufacturing towns contributed to the improvement and cultivation of the countries to which they belonged in three different ways." Explain with examples the three ways mentioned in the quote above.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the general characteristics of the division of labor between small and large manufacturers. How are they the same? How are they different? How is division of labor generally advantageous?
Essay Topic 3
Define and give examples for the two different meanings of the word 'value' as applied to use and exchange.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)