|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the principal cause of the rapid progress of the American colonies?
(a) Nearly their entire capitals are employed in commerce.
(b) Nearly their entire capitals are employed in agriculture.
(c) Nearly their entire capitals are employed in settlements.
(d) Nearly their entire capitals are employed in land.
2. Who concluded the treaty of commerce between England and Portugal in 1703?
(a) Mr. Methuen.
(b) Mr. Melkson.
(c) Mr. Metuel.
(d) Mr. Menchan.
3. When a government has borrowed a great deal of money, what is the justification for imposing new taxes?
(a) To refill the emptied treasury.
(b) To pay the interest on the borrowed money.
(c) To pay back the borrowed money.
(d) To run a government which has become more expensive.
4. What comes before convenience?
5. What was prohibited from exportation in France until 1764?
6. What is not an example of unproductive labor?
(a) The school room.
(b) The military.
(c) The church.
(d) The traders shop.
7. Where do a merchant's or retailer's profits come from?
(a) From what they both buy and sell.
(b) From what they buy.
(c) From what they sell.
(d) From what they save.
8. What tends to discourage every industry in a given nation and enable foreign markets to undersell goods even in the home market?
(a) The fall in the money price of commodities.
(b) Fixed money prices of commodities.
(c) Government directed money prices of commodities.
(d) The rise in the money price of commodities.
9. Who should own lands like parks, gardens, and public walks?
(a) Individual owners.
(b) The crown.
(c) The public.
(d) No one.
10. What is the first part of capital use in every growing society?
(a) Inland commerce.
(b) Foreign commerce.
11. What was the mint price of eight Paris ounces of gold according to the edict of January 1726?
(a) Seven hundred and ten livres, nine sous, and one denier one-eleventh.
(b) Seven hundred and twenty livres, nine sous, and one denier one-eleventh.
(c) Seven hundred and forty livres, nine sous, and one denier one-eleventh.
(d) Seven hundred and thirty livres, nine sous, and one denier one-eleventh.
12. What bill was published by Alexander III in the 12th century?
(a) The justification of slavery.
(b) The general emancipation of slaves.
(c) The forbidding of bringing more slaves into the country.
(d) The directive to bring more slaves into the country.
13. What was one consequence when the German and Scythian nations overran the western provinces of the Roman empire?
(a) The inhabitants were made slaves.
(b) The inhabitants immgrated to other countries.
(c) The country was left uncultivated.
(d) The towns were razed.
14. Where do a farmer's or manufacturer's profits come from?
(a) From their stock.
(b) From their reserve.
(c) From their surplus.
(d) From what they produce.
15. What kind of wine is not a European commodity?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the council of Castile determine?
2. How important is it that the merchant whose capital exports the surplus produce of any society be a native or a foreigner?
3. Who besides productive and unproductive laborers are all equally maintained by the annual produce of the land and labor of the country?
4. What is a borrower who uses his borrowed stock for immediate consumption?
5. According to the author why, two or three centuries before, were his British ancestors mostly idle concerning industry?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)