|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Benefactor's voice compared to?
2. Which character is blooming like branches in the spring when D-503 runs into her on his way to the Ancient House?
3. According to the narrator, who is "We" from?
4. What does U- tell the Guardians about D-503?
5. How many people are the first to have the Operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does D-503 see in the streets the day after the Unanimity ceremony?
2. What does D-503 think that his readers truly believe?
3. Who are the people advertised as "the first?"
4. What happens when the Guardians come to D-503's room?
5. Who does D-503 see together at the ceremony that causes him to feel jealous?
6. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
7. According to the narrator, what is the only right a citizen has in the One State?
8. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
9. What happens when D-503 attempts to start the mutiny on the Integral?
10. What happens as the crowd is trying to escape from the chaos at the ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss math as an underlying theme in the novel. What elements are geometric? What role does algebra play (i.e., what formulas/equations are presented?). How is problem-solution methodology applied?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot-related elements of fiction in the story. When does the climax occur? The denouement? What events can be considered major events or turning points? What do these elements mean for the rest of the story/characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how all the characters in "We" are connected. Who is connected by choice? By duty? By passion? Who feels obligated to protect whom?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)