|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does D-503 suspect has informed the Guardians of the plan to take the Integral?
2. Which character is blooming like branches in the spring when D-503 runs into her on his way to the Ancient House?
3. Who is standing with I-330 on the Day of Unanimity?
4. To what geometrical concept does D-503 compare happiness?
5. According to the narrator, weak ideas are made of what material?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
2. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
3. What alarming event occurs at the Day of Unanimity ceremony?
4. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
5. What happens when O-90 shows up unannounced at D-503's room?
6. What does U- do that causes D-503 to resent her?
7. What happens when the Guardians come to D-503's room?
8. What happens during the first firing of the Integral's engines?
9. What is the consequence for refusing the Operation?
10. Who does D-503 see together at the ceremony that causes him to feel jealous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is each character essential to the story? Discuss the role of background characters like U- and O-90, and other characters who could be considered flat or round.
Essay Topic 2
In what way does D-503's interpretation of events and concepts seem skewed? What can be attributed to conditioning by the State, and what is all in his mind?
Essay Topic 3
What is happiness, according to different characters? How is it related to desire, freedom, etc.? Discuss in detail how each character attempts to obtain and/or explain happiness.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)