|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is standing with I-330 on the Day of Unanimity?
2. How long do the lectures of the One State last?
3. What two forces does I-330 claim are at work in the world?
4. Who does D-503 suspect has informed the Guardians of the plan to take the Integral?
5. How long is the period of pious silence before the Day of Unanimity process begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first firing of the Integral's engines?
2. What happens when O-90 shows up unannounced at D-503's room?
3. What is the consequence for refusing the Operation?
4. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
5. What alarming event occurs at the Day of Unanimity ceremony?
6. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
7. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
8. What does I-330 say about the "last" number?
9. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
10. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the plot-related elements of fiction in the story. When does the climax occur? The denouement? What events can be considered major events or turning points? What do these elements mean for the rest of the story/characters?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, argue, or defend the notion that "We" is a dystopian novel or a work of science fiction. Can it be both? What elements clearly place it in either category (or both)? Is it just a far-fetched story, or is there an underlying lesson?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)