|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does D-503 arrange to have taken beyond the Wall to avoid the Operation?
2. When a woman breaks the ranks of the walk to rush toward a prisoner being escorted through the crown, who does D-503 mistake the woman for?
3. Where does U- work?
4. What are people talking about instead of the strife in the One State?
5. What are the people beyond the Wall wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first firing of the Integral's engines?
2. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
3. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
4. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
5. Who does D-503 see together at the ceremony that causes him to feel jealous?
6. What does D-503 think that his readers truly believe?
7. What does I-330 say about the "last" number?
8. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
9. How does D-503 describe U-?
10. What happens as the crowd is trying to escape from the chaos at the ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how all the characters in "We" are connected. Who is connected by choice? By duty? By passion? Who feels obligated to protect whom?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)