|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are people talking about instead of the strife in the One State?
2. D-503 compares his desire for I-330 to a longing for ______.
3. What is the Benefactor's voice compared to?
4. Who treats D-503 like a child?
5. Which character is blooming like branches in the spring when D-503 runs into her on his way to the Ancient House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
2. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
3. What happens when D-503 attempts to start the mutiny on the Integral?
4. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
5. Who are the people advertised as "the first?"
6. What does D-503 see in the streets the day after the Unanimity ceremony?
7. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
8. What happens during the walk that D-503 relates to the time a meteorite fell into the marching rows of people?
9. What alarming event occurs at the Day of Unanimity ceremony?
10. Who does D-503 see together at the ceremony that causes him to feel jealous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of duty in the story. What are the character's perceived duties? What about punishment as their only right?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)