|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what geometrical concept does D-503 compare happiness?
2. Whose picture is on the rock outside the Wall?
3. What does D-503 do to R-13 when he sees him carrying an injured I-330?
4. What term does S-4711 use to refer to the presence of numerous Guardian aeros in the sky?
5. Who does D-503 get cryptic notes from asking him to pretend that she is with him in his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
2. Who are the people advertised as "the first?"
3. What does I-330 say about the "last" number?
4. What does U- do that causes D-503 to resent her?
5. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
6. What happens during the walk that D-503 relates to the time a meteorite fell into the marching rows of people?
7. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
8. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
9. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
10. What alarming event occurs at the Day of Unanimity ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is each character essential to the story? Discuss the role of background characters like U- and O-90, and other characters who could be considered flat or round.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the primary differences between "We" and "They" in the story? Which is stronger within the story? Answer the narrator's question "Who are they?"
Essay Topic 3
What is happiness, according to different characters? How is it related to desire, freedom, etc.? Discuss in detail how each character attempts to obtain and/or explain happiness.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)