|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. I-330 asks D-503 why he thinks human ____________ is so bad.
2. What does the narrator discover as a boy on the Day of Unanimity?
3. Who is standing with I-330 on the Day of Unanimity?
4. Who does D-503 suspect has informed the Guardians of the plan to take the Integral?
5. To what does D-503 compare S's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
2. What happens when the Guardians come to D-503's room?
3. What happens when D-503 attempts to start the mutiny on the Integral?
4. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
5. Who does D-503 see together at the ceremony that causes him to feel jealous?
6. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
7. What does U- do that causes D-503 to resent her?
8. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
9. What happens during the first firing of the Integral's engines?
10. What is the Day of Unanimity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of duty in the story. What are the character's perceived duties? What about punishment as their only right?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the changes in tone affect the different journal entries. Which entries show hope, fear, apprehension, tension, etc.? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Is each character essential to the story? Discuss the role of background characters like U- and O-90, and other characters who could be considered flat or round.
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)