|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does I-330 ask D-503 to choose between?
2. What is postponed due to the Operation?
3. What expression does D-503 use to describe the pity felt by the ancients?
4. Whose picture is on the rock outside the Wall?
5. D-503 claims that happiness must be a "divine _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the walk that D-503 relates to the time a meteorite fell into the marching rows of people?
2. What is the Day of Unanimity?
3. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
4. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
5. What does D-503 see in the streets the day after the Unanimity ceremony?
6. What happens when D-503 attempts to start the mutiny on the Integral?
7. Who are the people advertised as "the first?"
8. According to the narrator, what is the only right a citizen has in the One State?
9. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
10. What does D-503 offer O-90 to save her from death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the primary differences between "We" and "They" in the story? Which is stronger within the story? Answer the narrator's question "Who are they?"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss math as an underlying theme in the novel. What elements are geometric? What role does algebra play (i.e., what formulas/equations are presented?). How is problem-solution methodology applied?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in "We" stereotypes of certain professions or literary archetypes? Do any characters break through stereotypes? Analyze 2-3 characters.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)