|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What equation does D-503 establish regarding love and death?
2. What name for God does D-503 use to refer to the Benefactor?
3. To what Christian holiday does D-503 compare the Day of Unanimity?
4. What two forces does I-330 claim are at work in the world?
5. To what geometrical concept does D-503 compare happiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when D-503 attempts to start the mutiny on the Integral?
2. As a child, why does D-503 get upset on the Day of Unanimity?
3. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
4. According to the narrator, what is the only right a citizen has in the One State?
5. What happens when O-90 shows up unannounced at D-503's room?
6. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
7. What alarming event occurs at the Day of Unanimity ceremony?
8. What does D-503 think that his readers truly believe?
9. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
10. What does D-503 see in the streets the day after the Unanimity ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze D-503's feelings toward I-330. How do they evolve? Do they come full circle? Does he even fully understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what I-330 means when she talks about entropy. Where else is entropy hinted at in the story? Is it a recurring theme?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)