|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does D-503 experience for the first time when he visits I-330 in her room and she mentions S-4711?
2. What ancient word does I-330 use to address D-503?
3. What color is the liqueur that I-330 drinks?
4. What is the name of one of the "famous mathematical couplets" of the One State?
5. What gift does R-13 bring to D-503?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
2. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
3. What is written in the first letter that D-503 receives?
4. What task has R-13 been given for the sentencing of the criminal?
5. What is the Green Wall?
6. When does D-503 realize, for the first time, that he is jealous of other men with I-330?
7. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
8. When, according to D-503, does man cease to be a savage?
9. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
10. What is the Ancient House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of revolution as D-503 sees it vs. I-330's opinions about revolution. How is revolution related to evolution in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze D-503's feelings toward I-330. How do they evolve? Do they come full circle? Does he even fully understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is happiness, according to different characters? How is it related to desire, freedom, etc.? Discuss in detail how each character attempts to obtain and/or explain happiness.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)