|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes D-503 a letter that prompts U- to pity D-503?
2. What is the name of the narrator's poet friend?
3. What is the name of one of the "famous mathematical couplets" of the One State?
4. To what does D-503 compare the lips of the thin doctor?
5. Which of these things is not present in D-503's dreams when he has them for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written in the first letter that D-503 receives?
2. What is the One State's perception of love?
3. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
4. What is the Gas Bell?
5. When does D-503 realize, for the first time, that he is jealous of other men with I-330?
6. What secret does D-503 discover about the Ancient House when he visits it alone?
7. What does D-503 think is an error made by God?
8. What is the Ancient House?
9. How does the narrator describe the character known as O-90?
10. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, argue, or defend the notion that "We" is a dystopian novel or a work of science fiction. Can it be both? What elements clearly place it in either category (or both)? Is it just a far-fetched story, or is there an underlying lesson?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of revolution as D-503 sees it vs. I-330's opinions about revolution. How is revolution related to evolution in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)