|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the One State's torture device called?
2. What emotion does D-503 experience for the first time when he visits I-330 in her room and she mentions S-4711?
3. For how long have the One State's sexual practices been in place?
4. What shape do I-330's eyebrows make?
5. What object in I-330's room does D-503 forget the name of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator mean when he refers to his "shaggy self?"
2. What is the narrator's purpose for writing the narrative that makes up "We"?
3. How does the narrator describe the character called I-330?
4. What is the fate of the criminal whose sentencing the whole One State attends?
5. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
6. What is the Green Wall?
7. When does D-503 realize, for the first time, that he is jealous of other men with I-330?
8. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
9. What is the One State's perception of love?
10. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze D-503's feelings toward I-330. How do they evolve? Do they come full circle? Does he even fully understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How are the characters in "We" stereotypes of certain professions or literary archetypes? Do any characters break through stereotypes? Analyze 2-3 characters.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)