|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to I-330, can excuse D-503 from work if she asks him to?
2. What pronoun does D-503 use to describe himself after starting a "relationship" with I-330?
3. What does O-90 bring to D-503 from the Botanical Museum?
4. What term does D-503 say that he will use the next time he sees I-330 after he has not heard from her for a few days?
5. Where is the celebration of Justice to be held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Gas Bell?
2. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
3. What secret does D-503 discover about the Ancient House when he visits it alone?
4. What task has R-13 been given for the sentencing of the criminal?
5. How does D-503 feel about being followed by S?
6. What is the Ancient House?
7. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
8. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
9. What is the One State's perception of love?
10. What is significant about D-503's visit with I-330 on the street corner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze D-503's feelings toward I-330. How do they evolve? Do they come full circle? Does he even fully understand them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what I-330 means when she talks about entropy. Where else is entropy hinted at in the story? Is it a recurring theme?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)