|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the standards a woman must meet before being able to bear children?
2. What is the name of the newspaper that the narrator refers to in the first lines of the novel?
3. What is the name of the narrator's poet friend?
4. What term does D-503 use to describe his hands?
5. To what does D-503 compare the lips of the thin doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When, according to D-503, does man cease to be a savage?
2. Why is the Integral being built?
3. How are members of the One State identified?
4. How does D-503 describe U-?
5. How does D-503 feel about being followed by S?
6. What is the Green Wall?
7. What happens to alert the citizens that the Wall has been destroyed?
8. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
9. What happens when O-90 shows up unannounced at D-503's room?
10. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss math as an underlying theme in the novel. What elements are geometric? What role does algebra play (i.e., what formulas/equations are presented?). How is problem-solution methodology applied?
Essay Topic 2
How does the format in which "We" is written enhance the story? Do we learn more about the events and/or characters through the journal format? How?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does D-503's interpretation of events and concepts seem skewed? What can be attributed to conditioning by the State, and what is all in his mind?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)