Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator call "fits of epilepsy?"
2. What expression does D-503 keep repeating when he is at the Ancient House with D-503?
3. How do I-330 and D-503 get to the Ancient House?
4. What does R-13 always do when he talks?
5. Instead of names, what are the characters in "We" called by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Guardians come to D-503's room?
2. What happens as the crowd is trying to escape from the chaos at the ceremony?
3. What is the Gas Bell?
4. What does I-330 say about the "last" number?
5. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
6. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
7. The day after the ceremony on the Day of Unanimity, what do the papers report?
8. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
9. How does the narrator describe the character called I-330?
10. Who are the naked, hairy people beyond the Wall?
Essay Topic 1
Is each character essential to the story? Discuss the role of background characters like U- and O-90, and other characters who could be considered flat or round.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)