|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides D-503, who else is O-90 "registered to" for sexual time?
2. What auditorium does I-330 tell D-503 to go to when he first speaks to her on the street?
3. What kinds of courses must D-503 attend in the auditorium?
4. What concept, according to D-503, has a direct correlation with crime?
5. What does I-330 call the old woman at the Ancient House?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does D-503 claim to feel about I-330 during their initial encounters?
2. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
3. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
4. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
5. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
6. What is the narrator's purpose for writing the narrative that makes up "We"?
7. What is the Gas Bell?
8. What does D-503 consider it his duty to do in writing "We"?
9. What is significant about D-503's visit with I-330 on the street corner?
10. How does the narrator describe the character called I-330?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the primary differences between "We" and "They" in the story? Which is stronger within the story? Answer the narrator's question "Who are they?"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does D-503's interpretation of events and concepts seem skewed? What can be attributed to conditioning by the State, and what is all in his mind?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)