|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time must D-503 be at the lecture after leaving the Ancient House for the first time?
2. What pronoun does D-503 use to describe himself after starting a "relationship" with I-330?
3. What is the One State's torture device called?
4. What is to be the Integral's first cargo?
5. What is R-13 given the task of turning into a poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What criminal activities does I-330 partake in when D-503 visits her room for the first time?
2. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
3. How does D-503 feel about being followed by S?
4. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
5. What is significant about D-503's visit with I-330 on the street corner?
6. How does D-503 see his relationships with R-13 and O-90?
7. How are members of the One State identified?
8. What is written in the first letter that D-503 receives?
9. What does the narrator mean when he refers to his "shaggy self?"
10. What does D-503 realize that his writings for the Integral have become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the changes in tone affect the different journal entries. Which entries show hope, fear, apprehension, tension, etc.? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Explain, argue, or defend the notion that "We" is a dystopian novel or a work of science fiction. Can it be both? What elements clearly place it in either category (or both)? Is it just a far-fetched story, or is there an underlying lesson?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)