|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is to be the Integral's first cargo?
2. At what time must D-503 be at the lecture after leaving the Ancient House for the first time?
3. What object in I-330's room does D-503 forget the name of?
4. To what does D-503 compare I-330's eyes?
5. What term does D-503 say that he will use the next time he sees I-330 after he has not heard from her for a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator mean when he refers to his "shaggy self?"
2. What does D-503 realize that his writings for the Integral have become?
3. What is the Gas Bell?
4. What is written in the first letter that D-503 receives?
5. What task has R-13 been given for the sentencing of the criminal?
6. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
7. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
8. When, according to D-503, does man cease to be a savage?
9. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
10. What is the narrator's purpose for writing the narrative that makes up "We"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does D-503's interpretation of events and concepts seem skewed? What can be attributed to conditioning by the State, and what is all in his mind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how all the characters in "We" are connected. Who is connected by choice? By duty? By passion? Who feels obligated to protect whom?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)