|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long have the One State's sexual practices been in place?
2. What is the body of the Integral made of?
3. What auditorium does I-330 tell D-503 to go to when he first speaks to her on the street?
4. What term does the narrator use to describe life as we currently know it?
5. To what does D-503 compare the lips of the thin doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does O-90 rush out of D-503's room?
2. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
3. What is the One State's perception of love?
4. How does D-503 feel about being followed by S?
5. What is the Ancient House?
6. What is significant about D-503's visit with I-330 on the street corner?
7. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
8. What does D-503 consider it his duty to do in writing "We"?
9. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
10. What images does D-503 see when he dreams for the first time in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze D-503's feelings toward I-330. How do they evolve? Do they come full circle? Does he even fully understand them? Why or why not?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)