|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does I-330 call the old woman at the Ancient House?
2. What is the body of the Integral made of?
3. How do I-330 and D-503 get to the Ancient House?
4. What term does D-503 say that he will use the next time he sees I-330 after he has not heard from her for a few days?
5. What criminal activity does I-330 engage in when D-503 visits her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does D-503 realize that his writings for the Integral have become?
2. When does D-503 realize, for the first time, that he is jealous of other men with I-330?
3. What is the nature of D-503's illness, according to the doctor at the Medical Office?
4. How does D-503 see his relationships with R-13 and O-90?
5. What is the Gas Bell?
6. How are members of the One State identified?
7. What is the significance of pink coupons in the One State?
8. What task has R-13 been given for the sentencing of the criminal?
9. What does the narrator mean when he refers to his "shaggy self?"
10. What is written in the first letter that D-503 receives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process of revolution as D-503 sees it vs. I-330's opinions about revolution. How is revolution related to evolution in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss plot vs. narrative in the novel. How do we learn more about the themes, symbols, etc. of the story? Through action? From the narrator's assessment of action?
Essay Topic 3
What is happiness, according to different characters? How is it related to desire, freedom, etc.? Discuss in detail how each character attempts to obtain and/or explain happiness.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)