|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ancient word does I-330 use to address D-503?
2. How many times does the narrator kiss O-90's eyes after their walk?
3. What color are the walls of the Ancient House?
4. What does I-330 wear when she is at the Ancient House with D-503?
5. How does I-330 contact D-503 after their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are members of the One State identified?
2. What is the narrator's purpose for writing the narrative that makes up "We"?
3. How does the narrator describe the men working on the construction of the Integral?
4. What happens during the first firing of the Integral's engines?
5. How does D-503 see his relationships with R-13 and O-90?
6. What is significant about D-503's visit with I-330 on the street corner?
7. According to the narrator, what is the only right a citizen has in the One State?
8. Why does work stop one day shortly after the Unanimity celebration?
9. What is D-503 to do at 12:00 sharp on the day that the Integral makes its test flight?
10. What does D-503 think is an error made by God?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss clarity and irrationality as conflicting themes in the novel. What are some symbols of these concepts? How are they manifested in D-503?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the presence of two distinct "selves" within the narrator. What circumstances contribute to this division? What conflicting traits exist in him?
Essay Topic 3
How does the format in which "We" is written enhance the story? Do we learn more about the events and/or characters through the journal format? How?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)