|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What expression does D-503 use to describe the pity felt by the ancients?
(b) Arithmetically illiterate.
(d) Stupidly ignorant.
2. What does D-503 doubt his readers' belief in?
3. What are people talking about instead of the strife in the One State?
(b) The weather.
(c) The stars.
(d) The Integral.
4. How many people are the first to have the Operation?
(a) A dozen.
5. What will be the fate of those who refuse the Operation?
6. Who is with the Guardians that come to inspect D-503's room?
(b) The Benefactor.
7. What equation does D-503 establish regarding love and death?
(a) Love minus happiness equals death.
(b) Love plus death equals paradise.
(c) Love is a function of death.
(d) Life without love is death.
8. According to the narrator, weak ideas are made of what material?
9. D-503 doesn't understand the presence of a group outside of the influence of the State. What does he call them?
10. What does U- tell the Guardians about D-503?
(a) That he tried to kill her.
(b) That he is a traitor.
(c) That he is always at his desk.
(d) That he is her lover.
11. What is the word inscribed on the rock beyond the Wall?
12. What, according to I-330, leads to equilibrium?
13. What is the MEPHI's plan for the Integral?
(a) To seize it.
(b) To paint it yellow.
(c) To hide it.
(d) To blow it up.
14. Who does D-503 get cryptic notes from asking him to pretend that she is with him in his room?
(c) His mother.
(d) The old woman.
15. I-330 asks D-503 why he thinks human ____________ is so bad.
Short Answer Questions
1. D-503 says that "everything great is _________."
2. What two forces does I-330 claim are at work in the world?
3. What does the narrator discover as a boy on the Day of Unanimity?
4. What does O-90 ask D-503 for after he has read her letter?
5. D-503 compares his desire for I-330 to a longing for ______.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)