|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patrick mean by "Chance follows design"?
2. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
3. What doesn't Marianne take with her?
4. What happens when Patrick tells Zachary he's the brother of the girl he raped?
5. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
2. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
3. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
4. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
5. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
6. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
7. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
8. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
9. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
10. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)