|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
2. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
3. Who is Birk?"
4. What has been happening with Corrine since her husband's death?
5. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
2. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
3. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
4. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
5. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
6. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
7. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
8. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
9. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
10. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the novel, "We Were the Mulvaneys." Is it a dark novel filled with tragedy, or is it a novel of light and hope? In what ways does the novel contrast between the two?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)