|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
2. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
3. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
4. What does Abelove tell everyone at the Co-Op after they discover Marianne is gone?
5. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what does Judd admit doing with his father's ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
2. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
3. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
4. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
5. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
6. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
7. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
8. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
9. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
10. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what sending Marianne away to live with a cousin they hardly knew was supposed to accomplish. After reading the entire story, does it accomplish that? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)