|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
2. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
3. After Marianne arrives at the hospital, what does Judd tell her about their father?
4. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
5. Where is Judd to pick up the guns after Patrick is finished with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
2. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
3. What bothers Judd the most after his father's death when they go to scatter his ashes?
4. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
5. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
6. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
7. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
8. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
9. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
10. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the novel, "We Were the Mulvaneys." Is it a dark novel filled with tragedy, or is it a novel of light and hope? In what ways does the novel contrast between the two?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)