|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
2. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
3. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
4. What is Stump Creek Hill?
5. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
2. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
3. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
4. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
5. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
6. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
7. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
8. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
9. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
10. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what sending Marianne away to live with a cousin they hardly knew was supposed to accomplish. After reading the entire story, does it accomplish that? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)