|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zachary do when Patrick stops his car and points a rifle at him?
2. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
3. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
4. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
5. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
2. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
3. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
4. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
5. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
6. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
7. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
8. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
9. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
10. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Corrine learn about herself after Michael leaves? How does she handle life without him?
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)