|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
2. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
3. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
4. Who offers to give Marianne a ride to her grandmother's funeral?
5. What does an elderly tenant have in the backyard of Judd's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
2. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
3. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
4. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
5. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
6. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
7. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
8. What bothers Judd the most after his father's death when they go to scatter his ashes?
9. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
10. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what sending Marianne away to live with a cousin they hardly knew was supposed to accomplish. After reading the entire story, does it accomplish that? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)