|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
2. What does Michael Sr. want to have done with his ashes?
3. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
4. What happens after Patrick changes his thesis topic three times?
5. What does an elderly tenant have in the backyard of Judd's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
2. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
3. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
4. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
5. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
6. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
7. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
8. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
9. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
10. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
Essay Topic 2
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
Essay Topic 3
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)