|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelove say that makes Marianne cry more?
2. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
3. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
4. What does Patrick suddenly remember as he drives with Zachary?
5. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
2. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
3. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
4. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
5. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
6. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
7. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
8. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
9. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
10. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)