|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Marianne's last thoughts as she leaves Abelove's office?
2. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
3. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
4. What doesn't Marianne take with her?
5. What finally happens while Marianne is working at Stump Creek Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
2. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
3. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
4. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
5. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
6. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
7. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
8. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
9. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
10. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 2
There were many nicknames for the characters in the novel. What can be told about each of the characters at various points in their lives by the nicknames that are used?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)