|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marianne awakens the morning after her grandmother's funeral, what happens?
2. Where is Judd to pick up the guns after Patrick is finished with them?
3. How does Marianne meet Dr. Whittaker West?
4. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
5. What do the brothers do for the first time before they part in the chapter titled, "The Handshake."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
2. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
3. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
4. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
5. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
6. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
7. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
8. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
9. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
10. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the novel, "We Were the Mulvaneys." Is it a dark novel filled with tragedy, or is it a novel of light and hope? In what ways does the novel contrast between the two?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Stump Creek Hill Animal Shelter and Hospital represent to Marianne? Can it be compared in any way to other places in the story? Does what the shelter represents change for Marianne as the story progresses? Or, do the changes in Marianne change what the shelter is to her? Whatever the case, explain exactly what changes have taken place.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)