|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
2. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
3. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
4. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
5. What happens when Abelove finds Marianne crying in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
2. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
3. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
4. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
5. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
6. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
7. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
8. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
9. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
10. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
What does the Stump Creek Hill Animal Shelter and Hospital represent to Marianne? Can it be compared in any way to other places in the story? Does what the shelter represents change for Marianne as the story progresses? Or, do the changes in Marianne change what the shelter is to her? Whatever the case, explain exactly what changes have taken place.
Essay Topic 3
There were many nicknames for the characters in the novel. What can be told about each of the characters at various points in their lives by the nicknames that are used?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)