|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Ethel tell her about her mother?
2. In the chapter, "Rag-Quilt Life," what does Marianne say before she leaves the Co-Op?
3. What does Michael Sr. want to have done with his ashes?
4. What does Patrick suddenly remember as he drives with Zachary?
5. After Marianne arrives at the hospital, what does Judd tell her about their father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
2. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
3. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
4. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
5. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
6. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
7. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
8. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
9. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
10. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)