|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does her roommate Felece-Marie react to Marianne's disappearance?
2. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
3. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
4. Where does Patrick decide he is going to take Zachary Lundt to get revenge?
5. What happens when Abelove finds Marianne crying in the greenhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
2. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
3. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
4. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
5. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
6. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
7. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
8. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
9. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
10. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)