|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
2. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
3. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
4. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
5. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
2. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
3. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
4. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
5. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
6. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
7. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
8. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
9. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
10. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the novel, "We Were the Mulvaneys." Is it a dark novel filled with tragedy, or is it a novel of light and hope? In what ways does the novel contrast between the two?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)