|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
2. How does her roommate Felece-Marie react to Marianne's disappearance?
3. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
4. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what are the final words of the chapter about their father?
5. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
2. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
3. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
4. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
5. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
6. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
7. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
8. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
9. What bothers Judd the most after his father's death when they go to scatter his ashes?
10. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)