|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
2. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
3. Where does Michael Sr. live when his son, Mike, visits him?
4. When Patrick pretends to be an old friend of Zach's when he calls, what does Zach's mother say?
5. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Judd the most after his father's death when they go to scatter his ashes?
2. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
3. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
4. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
5. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
6. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
7. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
8. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
9. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
10. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
Essay Topic 3
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)