|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patrick call the Lundts in March?
2. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
3. What are Marianne's last thoughts as she leaves Abelove's office?
4. What does Patrick suddenly remember as he drives with Zachary?
5. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
2. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
3. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
4. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
5. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
6. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
7. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
8. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
9. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
10. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)