|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Abelove finds Marianne crying in the greenhouse?
2. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
3. Who is Birk?"
4. How does Patrick feel as he drives away from the bog?
5. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
2. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
3. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
4. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
5. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
6. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
7. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
8. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
9. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
10. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Corrine learn about herself after Michael leaves? How does she handle life without him?
Essay Topic 2
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
Essay Topic 3
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)