|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marianne meet Dr. Whittaker West?
2. What do the brothers do for the first time before they part in the chapter titled, "The Handshake."
3. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
4. What has been happening with Corrine since her husband's death?
5. What does the old man call Judd?
Short Essay Questions
1. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
2. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
3. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
4. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
5. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
6. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
7. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
8. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
9. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
10. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)