|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
2. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
3. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
4. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
5. Where does Corrine learn her husband has been spending time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
3. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
4. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
5. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
6. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
9. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
10. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many nicknames for the characters in the novel. What can be told about each of the characters at various points in their lives by the nicknames that are used?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)