|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patrick need Judd to do to help him follow through with his plan?
2. What is Judd thinking as he listens to his heartbeat?
3. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
4. In the chapter "Plastica," what does Patrick tell Judd when he calls home?
5. What does Mrs. Lundt do from another part of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
2. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
3. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
4. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
5. Why does Mike Jr. visit his father in Rochester?
6. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
7. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
8. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
9. What happens to Michael Sr. that finally initiates the phone call Marianne has been waiting for from her mother?
10. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
There were many nicknames for the characters in the novel. What can be told about each of the characters at various points in their lives by the nicknames that are used?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)