|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
2. What is written about Mike Jr. as a baby?
3. How does Corrine feel about the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
4. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
5. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
2. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
3. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
4. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
5. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
8. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
9. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
10. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
This section contains 1,675 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)