|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking all over the bus terminal for Marianne, where does Patrick find her?
2. In the chapter titled, "Gone," where does Corrine take Marianne?
3. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
4. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
5. How does Corrine say the country club discriminates against her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
2. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
3. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
4. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
5. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
6. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
7. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
8. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
9. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
10. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the novel, "We Were the Mulvaneys." Is it a dark novel filled with tragedy, or is it a novel of light and hope? In what ways does the novel contrast between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)