|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about the dress Marianne wears to the Valentine's Dance?
2. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
3. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
4. What happens when Judd asks his mother if Marianne is sick?
5. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
3. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
4. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
5. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
6. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
9. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
10. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter titled "Secrets," Michael has a long discussion with his sons, Mike and Patrick, about how he expects them to treat girls. What does that conversation reveal about Michael? About Mike and Patrick?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
Essay Topic 3
What does Corrine learn about herself after Michael leaves? How does she handle life without him?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)