Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
2. What is written about Mike Jr. as a baby?
3. How does Corrine feel about the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
4. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
5. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
2. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
3. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
4. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
5. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
8. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
9. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
10. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
Essay Topic 1
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
Essay Topic 2
What does Corrine learn about herself after Michael leaves? How does she handle life without him?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)