|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
2. What is written about Patrick as a baby?
3. Where does Lydia Bethune say she has been seeing Marianne when she should have been in school?
4. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
5. How old is Corrine in the story she tells about December 1938?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
3. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
4. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
5. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
8. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
9. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
10. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)