|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is P.J.?
2. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
3. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
4. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
5. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
2. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
3. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
4. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
5. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
6. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
9. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
10. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)