|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
2. What does one realize about Judd in the opening of the chapter, "Every Heartbeat?"
3. What does Mrs. Lundt do from another part of the house?
4. Where does Michael Mulvaney Sr. go in the chapter titled "Dignity?"
5. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
2. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
3. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
4. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
5. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
6. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
7. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
8. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
9. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
10. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the 4th of July family reunion to each of the members of the family, in particular Judd?
This section contains 1,765 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)