|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
2. What does Judd say about the newspaper where he is editor?
3. How is Michael Sr. greeted when he enters the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
4. In the chapter, "Snow after Easter," when does it state is the last time Patrick has seen Marianne?
5. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
2. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
3. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
4. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
5. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
6. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
7. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
8. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
9. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
10. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)