|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Judd referred to as the caboose?
2. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
3. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
4. What words does Michael say at Schroon Lake that Corrine remembers twenty-four years later as she sits in Dr. Oakley's office?
5. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
2. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
3. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
4. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
5. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
6. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
7. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
8. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
9. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
10. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)