|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
2. What is said about Judd as a baby?
3. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
4. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
5. How does Judd find out what really happened to Marianne?
Short Essay Questions
1. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
2. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
3. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
4. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
5. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
6. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
7. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
8. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
9. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
10. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Stump Creek Hill Animal Shelter and Hospital represent to Marianne? Can it be compared in any way to other places in the story? Does what the shelter represents change for Marianne as the story progresses? Or, do the changes in Marianne change what the shelter is to her? Whatever the case, explain exactly what changes have taken place.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)