|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Judd when Patrick makes his request?
2. Which of the Mulvaney children is said to be the most natural Christian?
3. In the chapter titled "Phase," what does Michael Sr. begin doing late at night?
4. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
5. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
3. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
4. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
5. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
6. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
7. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
8. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
9. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
10. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)