|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marianne work while she attends Kilburn College?
2. What does Corrine think Michael is doing when he talks to an attorney?
3. What is the question that might have been raised about Marianne's phone call for a ride home the day after the Valentine's Dance?
4. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
5. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
2. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
3. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
4. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
5. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
6. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
7. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
8. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
9. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
10. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose behind Patrick setting off the stink bomb at his graduation? Is he bitter about the way people are treating his family? Is it a prank meant to show off how intelligent he is? Is it a way to get out of giving the valedictorian speech? What other possible reasons might he have had?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
Essay Topic 3
What does Corrine learn about herself after Michael leaves? How does she handle life without him?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)