|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person Marianne is living with?
2. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
3. What words does Michael say at Schroon Lake that Corrine remembers twenty-four years later as she sits in Dr. Oakley's office?
4. Where does Michael Mulvaney Sr. go in the chapter titled "Dignity?"
5. What is said about Judd as a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
2. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
3. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
4. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
5. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
6. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
7. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
8. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
9. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
10. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Michael suddenly spend more time with his old friends at the Wolf's Lake Inn after Marianne's rape? Is he in need of moral support or acceptance? Is he too embarrassed or angry about what happened to his daughter to get that from friends from Mt. Ephraim? Does he have any friends left in Mt. Ephraim? What is the difference between the friends at Wolf's Lake Inn and those who belonged to the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)