|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
2. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
3. Who is Jill James?
4. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Marianne do when someone draws a nasty picture on the seat of her chair at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
2. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
3. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
4. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
5. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
6. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
7. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
8. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
9. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
10. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the reasons Marianne leaves her job at the Co-Op? What are her reasons for leaving her job with Miss Hagstrom? Compare the reasons. Are there any common denominators that might explain what is going on inside Marianne's head at those points in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 3
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)