|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
2. What does Marianne do when someone draws a nasty picture on the seat of her chair at school?
3. How does Corrine find out that Marianne has been raped?
4. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
5. What does one realize about Judd in the opening of the chapter, "Every Heartbeat?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
2. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
3. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
4. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
5. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
9. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
10. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)