|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corrine think Michael is doing when he talks to an attorney?
2. How old is Corrine in the story she tells about December 1938?
3. How does Corrine feel about the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
4. How does Judd feel about Patrick's plan?
5. In the chapter titled "Reverse Prayer", what does Patrick say to Judd when he calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
2. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
3. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
4. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
5. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
6. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
7. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
8. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
9. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
10. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do Judd's realizations in the chapter "Every Heartbeat," reveal about him at that point of the story? Explain how that realization could have had an impact on his reaction to all the things that were happening to his family after Marianne's rape.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the country club to Michael Mulvaney and how does it differ from what it symbolizes to his wife, Corrine? They both appeared to view the country club from different perspectives. Why is that?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is Mike Jr.'s leaving different from the way Michael Sr. left his family when he was a teen? In what ways is it the same?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)