|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Della Rae considered a "dirty girl"?
2. In the chapter, "Snow after Easter," when does it state is the last time Patrick has seen Marianne?
3. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
4. What is the question that might have been raised about Marianne's phone call for a ride home the day after the Valentine's Dance?
5. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
2. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
3. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
4. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
5. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
6. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
7. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
8. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
9. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
10. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students write an essay about Michael Mulvaney's relationship with his own father and how that might have impacted the kind of father he was.
Essay Topic 3
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)