|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Corrine and Judd visit Marianne what does the Co-Op Director, Abelove, say that upsets Corrine?
2. What is meant by Pinch's laser-ray?
3. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
4. What does one realize about Judd in the opening of the chapter, "Every Heartbeat?"
5. How does Corrine feel about telling Michael about their daughter's rape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
2. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
3. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
4. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
5. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
6. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
7. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
8. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
9. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
10. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the reaction of the family to the trauma of Marianne's rape and the changes they all underwent because of it. Are the actions of the people in town avoiding them part of what causes those changes, or are the changes part of what causes the people in town to avoid them? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
Essay Topic 3
Explain exactly what Patrick means when he says, "Chance follows design," and how does it fit into Patrick's plan for justice?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)