|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
2. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
3. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
4. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
5. What is said about Judd as a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
2. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
3. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
4. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
5. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
8. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
9. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
10. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what happens to Michael Mulvaney after his daughter is raped. Nothing seems to help him and no matter what anyone does it only seems to make him worse. Is he drinking more to numb the pain he feels? Or, is the way he feels driving him to drink? Is it really a sudden problem rising up after Marianne's rape? Explain what is happening to him and the contrast in him in the twelve-year span of his part of the story.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the 4th of July family reunion to each of the members of the family, in particular Judd?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)