|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judd find out what really happened to Marianne?
2. What does one realize about Judd in the opening of the chapter, "Every Heartbeat?"
3. What happens when Judd asks Patrick what happened to Marianne?
4. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
5. Who approaches Corrine at the post office?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
2. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
3. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
4. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
5. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
6. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
7. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
8. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
9. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
10. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the 4th of July family reunion to each of the members of the family, in particular Judd?
Essay Topic 2
What does the Stump Creek Hill Animal Shelter and Hospital represent to Marianne? Can it be compared in any way to other places in the story? Does what the shelter represents change for Marianne as the story progresses? Or, do the changes in Marianne change what the shelter is to her? Whatever the case, explain exactly what changes have taken place.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)