|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
2. What does Judd say of his parents' relationship before things changed?
3. What does Mrs. Lundt do from another part of the house?
4. Where does Lydia Bethune say she has been seeing Marianne when she should have been in school?
5. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
3. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
4. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
5. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
6. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
7. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
8. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
9. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
10. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Patrick begin having problems with his class work? Does he really disagree with Dr. Herring or is he just being defiant? Why, after being such a good student up until that point is he assigned a new thesis adviser?
Essay Topic 2
Have the students consider Marianne's reaction to the gray animal hit by the car and why she reacted the way she did. It was more than her love for animals. There is a name for it, though the medical profession was just beginning to understand it at the time this story took place. Explain what happened.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Marianne drawn to the Green Isle Co-Op to the point that she is willing to give up her college education to work more there? Is the Co-Op filling some kind of void in her life? Is it the feeling of accomplishment? In contrast, why does Patrick feel so negatively about Marianne working at the Co-Op? Does he think she is too good to work while in college? What seems to upset him the most?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)