|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
(a) "A rose by any other name would smell so sweet."
(b) "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
(c) "Hard work never killed anyone."
(d) "Out of obscurity I came -- to obsurity I can easily return."
2. What does Zachary do when Patrick stops his car and points a rifle at him?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) He cries.
(c) He begs not to be shot.
(d) He wets himself.
3. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
(a) Sixty or seventy.
(b) Forty or fifty.
(c) Fifty or sixty.
(d) Thirty or forty.
4. When Patrick pretends to be an old friend of Zach's when he calls, what does Zach's mother say?
(a) That she and her husband appreciated Zach's friend's loyalty.
(b) She couldn't remember the name of the girl who'd made accusations about her son after a party.
(c) All the answers were correct.
(d) The girl was sent away and she didn't know what happened to the father.
5. What does Judd say about prayer?
(a) His family is past prayer.
(b) He will continue to pray.
(c) His mother can pray.
(d) Prayer doesn't work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
2. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
3. What has been happening with Corrine since her husband's death?
4. What happens when Abelove finds Marianne crying in the greenhouse?
5. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
2. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
3. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
4. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
5. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
6. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
7. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
8. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
9. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
10. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)