|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
(a) His drinking increases.
(b) He quits drinking.
(c) He sends for Corrine.
(d) He finds a good job.
2. Who offers to give Marianne a ride to her grandmother's funeral?
(a) Hewie, a Co-Op member.
(c) Aunt Ethel.
(d) Her roommate Felice-Marie.
3. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
(a) The choir loft where no one else was seated.
(b) Crouched behind a headstone in the cemetery.
(c) The last pew closest to the door so she could leave before anyone knew she was there.
(d) Outside the window of the church.
4. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
(a) "Take care of Mom. Be sure Mom doesn't crack up."
(b) "Be strong for Mom. She needs you."
(c) "Find Patrick. Find Patrick. Find Patrick."
(d) "Get out! Get out while you can."
5. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
(a) She tells him she loves him and that she is sorry.
(b) She just stares at him because he looks so different.
(c) She cries so much she can't talk.
(d) She sits silently beside him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
2. What does Abelove say that makes Marianne cry more?
3. Where does Patrick decide he is going to take Zachary Lundt to get revenge?
4. What duty of Birk's does Marianne take over that makes a huge difference at the Co-Op?
5. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
2. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
3. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
4. What does Michael Sr. want done with his body after he dies?
5. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
6. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
7. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
8. How does Corrine react to Judd's moving away from home?
9. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
10. What is it that Marianne fears about people making too much of her, worrying about her, or touching her?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)