|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Gone but never forgotten."
(b) "Disappeared without a trace."
(c) "Up in smoke."
(d) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
2. Where does Marianne go after leaving the Co-Op?
(a) Ithaca, New York.
(b) Erie, Pennsylvania.
(c) No one knows.
(d) Spartansburg, Pennsylvania.
3. The last time Marianne speaks to her mother, what does Corrine call Marianne's life?
(b) A waste.
(c) A rag-quilt life.
4. What happens when Abelove finds Marianne crying in the greenhouse?
(a) He laughs at her saying that crying is okay.
(b) He pulls her onto his lap and tries to dry her tears.
(c) He pulls her into his arms and tries to kiss her.
(d) He squats beside her and gently asks what is wrong.
5. What does Aunt Ethel tell her about her mother?
(a) Her mother wants her to attend her grandmother's funeral.
(b) That her mother is going to the funeral alone.
(c) Her mother wanted Aunt Ethel to call and tell her about her grandmother.
(d) Her mother doesn't want her to attend her grandmother's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
2. What happens when Patrick tells Zachary he's the brother of the girl he raped?
3. How does Judd explain what happens to their family?
4. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
5. Why does Patrick call the Lundts in March?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
2. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
3. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
4. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
5. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
6. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
7. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
8. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
9. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
10. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)