|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
(a) Drum up business.
(b) Search for benefactors.
(c) Scrub floors.
(d) Cook meals.
2. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
(a) That her father was probably also asking for her brothers.
(b) That she would believe him.
(c) That he was making it up to make her feel better.
(d) That Judd was jealous.
3. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
(a) The choir loft where no one else was seated.
(b) Outside the window of the church.
(c) The last pew closest to the door so she could leave before anyone knew she was there.
(d) Crouched behind a headstone in the cemetery.
4. After the farm sells, where do Michael, Corrine, and Judd move?
(a) A house in Mt. Ephraim.
(b) A house in Marsena.
(c) An apartment in Mt. Ephraim.
(d) A mobile home in Marsena.
5. What happens after Patrick changes his thesis topic three times?
(a) He was notified he'd been assigned a new adviser.
(b) He was told he had to do exactly what his adviser wanted or drop the course.
(c) He was told he could not change his mind again.
(d) He was notified he was failing the course.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
2. Where does Marianne go after leaving the Co-Op?
3. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
4. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
5. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
2. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
3. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
4. What is happening to Marianne's grades in college and why is it happening?
5. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
6. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
7. Why is Abelove upset that Marianne accepts a ride from Hewie Miner to take her to her grandmother's funeral?
8. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
9. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
10. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)