|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
(a) She just stares at him because he looks so different.
(b) She sits silently beside him.
(c) She tells him she loves him and that she is sorry.
(d) She cries so much she can't talk.
2. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
(a) Muffin's kidney's are failing and he takes him for dialysis in Pittsburgh.
(b) He gives Muffin updated shots.
(c) There is nothing he can do.
(d) He puts Muffin to sleep.
3. What does the old man call Judd?
(a) Kid or Sonny.
(b) Juddy-boy or Sonny.
(c) Juddy-boy or Kid.
(d) Sonny or Bud.
4. How does Judd refer to the area of town where he lives after leaving his parent's home?
(a) No-man's-land, south side of Marsena.
(b) Busy urban center.
(c) Farm country.
(d) The slums.
5. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
(a) Judd says she cries a lot.
(b) He says he can't tell if she's acting okay or if she really is okay.
(c) Judd says she's okay, that she is the one handling most of it.
(d) He admits it is very hard on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Patrick changes his thesis topic three times?
2. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
3. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
4. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
5. What does Corrine say to Judd when she invites him to a Fourth of July cookout?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marianne do when Abelove's assistant, Birk, disappears?
2. What is the nightmare about that awakens a terrified Patrick just fifteen days before his plan to confront Zach Lundt?
3. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
4. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
5. In the chapter, "Tears," what is it that Marianne is patiently waiting for?
6. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
7. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
8. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
9. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
10. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)