|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Patrick pretends to be an old friend of Zach's when he calls, what does Zach's mother say?
(a) The girl was sent away and she didn't know what happened to the father.
(b) That she and her husband appreciated Zach's friend's loyalty.
(c) She couldn't remember the name of the girl who'd made accusations about her son after a party.
(d) All the answers were correct.
2. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
(a) "Be strong for Mom. She needs you."
(b) "Get out! Get out while you can."
(c) "Take care of Mom. Be sure Mom doesn't crack up."
(d) "Find Patrick. Find Patrick. Find Patrick."
3. What duty of Birk's does Marianne take over that makes a huge difference at the Co-Op?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Working in the garden.
(d) Keeping the duty roster up to date.
4. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
(a) Patrick is wearing a disguise.
(b) Patrick is tougher looking and has a beard.
(c) Patrick is wearing a mask.
(d) Patrick has dyed hair.
5. What kind of day is it when they dispose of Michael's ashes?
(a) A windy October day.
(b) A sunny day in August.
(c) A snowy November day.
(d) A rainy day in April.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patrick call the Lundts in March?
2. What does Patrick mean by "Chance follows design"?
3. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
4. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
5. Why does Judd finally leave home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so important to Marianne that her father really does ask to see her?
2. At what kind of place is Judd as he heads to the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
3. Why does Marianne run away from the Green Isle Co-Op without a word to anyone?
4. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
5. How does Judd explain to Patrick about their mother's behavior on Sunday mornings?
6. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
7. What does Dr. Whittaker West do for Marianne that makes her very grateful?
8. What is the difference between the relationship that Patrick has with Marianne and the one he has with Judd?
9. Why, if Abelove loves Marianne, doesn't he search harder for her after she leaves?
10. What happens after Michael Sr. files for bankruptcy?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)