|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judd notice about his father and the people around them at Patrick's graduation?
(a) That his father looks so out of place among his friends.
(b) That the man who was once the center of attention was now treated like an invisible man.
(c) That his father doesn't want to talk to anyone.
(d) That the people treated his father with respect.
2. What does Marianne do when someone draws a nasty picture on the seat of her chair at school?
(a) She gets angry and scribbles over it.
(b) Nothing, she doesn't see it.
(c) She runs out of the room in embarrasment.
(d) She starts to cry.
3. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
(a) A light from Heaven.
(d) Twinkle lights.
4. When Corrine and Judd visit Marianne what does the Co-Op Director, Abelove, say that upsets Corrine?
(a) Abelove says he wants Marianne to quit college and work more at the Co-Op.
(b) Abelove says that all Marianne needs is faith in herself.
(c) Abelove says he wants to marry Marianne.
(d) Abelove says Marianne is a very poor student.
5. Which of the Mulvaney children is said to be the most natural Christian?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
2. How is Michael Sr. greeted when he enters the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
3. Where does Patrick go in September 1976?
4. How does Corrine feel about telling Michael about their daughter's rape?
5. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
2. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
3. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
4. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
5. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
6. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
7. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
8. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
9. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
10. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)