|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
(a) She takes pride in unwrinkled clothes.
(b) It is a time she can meditate and pray.
(c) She doesn't like ironing at all.
(d) It gives her something to do.
2. After looking all over the bus terminal for Marianne, where does Patrick find her?
(a) Coming ouf of the restroom.
(b) Sleeping on a bench.
(c) Outside the terminal.
(d) She showed up at his apartment.
3. What is Corrine's nickname?
4. How does the family refer to the word rape?
(a) They never spoke about it, ever.
(b) As, "it".
(c) As, "The night the world changed".
(d) As, "You know what."
5. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
(a) Their father has fallen off his pedestal.
(b) A frog whose life is sucked out of it by a giant water spider.
(c) Their father is a casualty of war.
(d) Their father is a child who no one wants to play with.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
2. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
3. Who is Muffin?
4. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
5. How does Corrine find out that Marianne has been raped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
2. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
3. What questions are triggered about himself as Patrick thinks about the drawing, "The Huntsman?"
4. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
5. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
6. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
7. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
8. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
9. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
10. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)