|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jill James?
(a) A friend of Corrine's from high school.
(b) Marianne's best friend.
(c) Marianne's homeroom teacher.
(d) The therapist Marianne is sent to see.
2. Where does Patrick go in September 1976?
(a) Patrick goes to SUNY.
(b) Patrick goes to Cornell University.
(c) Patrick joins the Navy.
(d) Patricks goes hiking to find himself.
3. What does the woodcut make Patrick wonder about himself?
(a) Why did the man in the picture look like him?
(b) Was he coded, like other males, to hunt and kill?
(c) Would he ever be able to take a hunting trip to Canada?
(d) Was he no different than any other human being?
4. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
(a) She doesn't think it should be in a cage.
(b) She thinks birds spread germs.
(c) She doesn't like the bird being loose.
(d) She wants Feathers for her own.
5. What is written about Marianne as a baby?
(a) Marianne was a lively child.
(b) Marianne was a demanding baby.
(c) Marianne was their miracle baby; very easy going.
(d) Marianne was the largest baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
2. What happens when Judd asks his mother if Marianne is sick?
3. What does Marianne thank God for after the rape?
4. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
5. What words does Michael say at Schroon Lake that Corrine remembers twenty-four years later as she sits in Dr. Oakley's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
2. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
3. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
4. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
5. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
6. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
9. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
10. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)