|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(b) That the heart keeps the body alive.
(c) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(d) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
2. What does Corrine find when she goes to pick up her husband after a late night call saying he couldn't drive home?
(a) Michael with another woman.
(b) Michael playing pool with his buddies.
(c) Michael sleeping peacefully.
(d) Michael drunk and with injuries he got from a bar room fight.
3. How does Corrine say the country club discriminates against her family?
(a) They don't permit children in the dining room.
(b) She and Marianne cannot enter through the front door.
(c) They don't let them eat in the main dining room.
(d) They can't get in without dress clothing.
4. Why is Patrick so enthralled by "The Huntsman"?
(a) It raised the question, will the huntsman really shoot the ram he's aiming his weapon at.
(b) Patrick collected art that depicted man against beast.
(c) The artwork was a modern style Patrick liked.
(d) Patrick loved hunting and the picture reminded him of the sport.
5. What is written about Patrick as a baby?
(a) Patrick was a quiet and shy baby.
(b) Patrick was a demanding baby.
(c) Patrick was the largest baby.
(d) Patrick was a lively child who got into things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
2. Where does Lydia Bethune say she has been seeing Marianne when she should have been in school?
3. Where does Corrine learn her husband has been spending time?
4. How old is Corrine in the story she tells about December 1938?
5. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
2. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
3. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
4. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
5. How does Patrick explain to Judd the reason he doesn't want to see their parents?
6. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
7. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
8. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
9. What happens when Judd tries to protect his mother from his father's abuse?
10. What seems to be happening to Corrine in the chapter, "Hard Reckoning?"
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)