|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(b) That the heart keeps the body alive.
(c) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(d) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
2. In the chapter, "Snow after Easter," when does it state is the last time Patrick has seen Marianne?
(a) When she was taken from their home.
(b) The past weekend when he visited her.
(c) When they all visited the family home at Christmas.
(d) At her high school graduation the previous June.
3. When Patrick calls home in the chapter, "Reverse Prayer," what does he tell Judd he wants to do?
(a) Get even.
(b) Execute justice.
(c) Get sweet revenge.
(d) He wants an eye for an eye.
4. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
(a) He has an I.Q. of 151.
(b) He is a genious.
(c) He has a normal I.Q.
(d) He is a slow learner.
5. How does Corrine say the country club discriminates against her family?
(a) They can't get in without dress clothing.
(b) They don't permit children in the dining room.
(c) They don't let them eat in the main dining room.
(d) She and Marianne cannot enter through the front door.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
2. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
3. Why is Patrick so enthralled by "The Huntsman"?
4. Why is Judd referred to as the caboose?
5. What is significant about the dress Marianne wears to the Valentine's Dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
2. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
3. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
4. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
5. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
6. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
7. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
8. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
9. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
10. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)