|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is meant by Pinch's laser-ray?
(a) The way Patrick squints because his left eye is so weak.
(b) It is a toy Patrick was given at Christmas a long time ago.
(c) It is a joking term Judd uses for Patrick's glasses.
(d) The nasty look he gives before he gets angry.
2. How does Judd feel about Patrick's plan?
(a) He's afraid Patrick won't do it right.
(b) He thinks Patrick will change his mind.
(c) He's uncertain Patrick is strong enough to do it.
(d) None of the answers are correct.
3. What does the ringing of the cowbell signify to the Mulvaney family?
(a) Ringing the cowbell signals a phone call for someone who isn't in the house.
(b) Ringing the cowbell signals dinner.
(c) Ringing the cowbell signals an outing.
(d) Ringing the cowbell means the parents want to talk to the children.
4. Who approaches Corrine at the post office?
(a) Rev. Earkin.
(b) Lydia Bethune.
(d) Mrs. Weidman.
5. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
(a) Chautauqua Valley Farm Antiques.
(b) High Point This and That.
(c) High Point Antiques.
(d) Mt. Ephraim Antiques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woodcut make Patrick wonder about himself?
2. How does Corrine feel about the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
3. Who is Muffin?
4. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
5. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
2. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
3. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
4. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
5. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
6. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
7. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
8. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
9. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
10. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)