|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Corrine say the country club discriminates against her family?
(a) They don't let them eat in the main dining room.
(b) She and Marianne cannot enter through the front door.
(c) They can't get in without dress clothing.
(d) They don't permit children in the dining room.
2. In the chapter, "Snow after Easter," when does it state is the last time Patrick has seen Marianne?
(a) At her high school graduation the previous June.
(b) The past weekend when he visited her.
(c) When she was taken from their home.
(d) When they all visited the family home at Christmas.
3. What is Judd thinking as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That he wanted to be a doctor someday.
(b) That he had a strong heartbeat.
(c) Every heatbeat is past and gone.
(d) That he had a loud heartbeat.
4. What does Judd say about the newspaper where he is editor?
(a) It is the only newspaper in town.
(b) It is the best newspaper in the county.
(c) It is a good, decent, truth-telling paper.
(d) It is a great place to get his start before moving on to a larger newspaper.
5. Where does most of the story take place?
(a) Chautauqua Valley Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
(b) Five Point Road, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
(c) High Point Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
(d) High Point Farm, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family refer to the word rape?
2. After looking all over the bus terminal for Marianne, where does Patrick find her?
3. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
4. What happens when Judd asks Patrick what happened to Marianne?
5. Where does Michael Mulvaney Sr. go in the chapter titled "Dignity?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
2. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
3. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
4. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
5. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
6. What upsets Corrine when she finds a matchbook in Michael's pants pocket from the Wolf's Head Inn?
7. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
8. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
9. What kind of relationship does Michael Sr. have with his own father?
10. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)