|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Corrine's nickname?
2. What is said about Judd as a baby?
(a) Judd was devoted to his older siblings.
(b) Marianne helped take care of him.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) Judd was a perfectly adorable baby.
3. What does Judd say about the newspaper where he is editor?
(a) It is a good, decent, truth-telling paper.
(b) It is the only newspaper in town.
(c) It is a great place to get his start before moving on to a larger newspaper.
(d) It is the best newspaper in the county.
4. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(b) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
(c) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(d) That the heart keeps the body alive.
5. How does Judd feel about Patrick's plan?
(a) He's afraid Patrick won't do it right.
(b) He thinks Patrick will change his mind.
(c) None of the answers are correct.
(d) He's uncertain Patrick is strong enough to do it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
2. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
3. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
4. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
5. What happens when Marianne drops her garment bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
2. What makes Patrick decide to let Zach live?
3. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
4. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
5. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
6. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
7. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
8. Why is Judd so insistent to find out what has happened to his sister that he put the family in such a turmoil?
9. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
10. Why, after Marianne admits she is in love with Abelove, doesn't she want to accept his proposal?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)