|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the question that might have been raised about Marianne's phone call for a ride home the day after the Valentine's Dance?
(a) Marianne was supposed to be picked up later.
(b) Marianne was supposed to be driven home by someone else.
(c) Marianne was supposed to be home the night before.
(d) There was no question to be raised.
2. In the chapter, "The Assault," why does Michael Mulvaney go to Mort Lundt's house?
(a) He is out driving and just ends up there.
(b) He is angry because he believes Zachary, Mort's son, is the person who raped Marianne.
(c) Michael stops by there regularly to play cards with Mort.
(d) Mort is his good friend, and he wants to discuss what happened to Marianne with him.
3. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
(a) Their father is a casualty of war.
(b) Their father has fallen off his pedestal.
(c) Their father is a child who no one wants to play with.
(d) A frog whose life is sucked out of it by a giant water spider.
4. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
(a) After swimming with Corrine in Schroon Lake.
(b) At first sight.
(c) After going to a dance at Schroon Lake with Corrine.
(d) After helping Corrine rescue a goose.
5. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(b) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(c) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
(d) That the heart keeps the body alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written about Mike Jr. as a baby?
2. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
3. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
4. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
5. When Patrick calls home in the chapter, "Reverse Prayer," what does he tell Judd he wants to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Corrine mean by Marianne's rag-quilt life?
2. While he waits for Zach Lundt to come out of the Cobb's Corner bar, who besides Zach Lundt does Patrick also think about shooting?
3. At what kind of place in her life is Corrine as she plans for the Fourth of July celebration in 1993?
4. What can be said about Michael Sr.'s life after he leaves Corrine?
5. What does Marianne think will happen when she goes to her Grandmother Hauseman's funeral?
6. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
7. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
8. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
9. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
10. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)