|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
(b) Twinkle lights.
(d) A light from Heaven.
2. What is the name of the person Marianne is living with?
(a) Katrina Mulvaney.
(b) Ethel Mulaney.
(c) Grandma Hausmann.
(d) Ethel Hausmann.
3. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
(a) A frog whose life is sucked out of it by a giant water spider.
(b) Their father has fallen off his pedestal.
(c) Their father is a child who no one wants to play with.
(d) Their father is a casualty of war.
4. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
(a) Michael Sr.
(b) Michael Jr.
5. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
(a) A fellow college student named Jerry.
(b) Another young man staying at Schroon Lake for the summer.
(c) A foreign exchange student.
(d) A friend from home named Jerry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written about Marianne as a baby?
2. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
3. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
4. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
5. In the chapter titled "Reverse Prayer", what does Patrick say to Judd when he calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
2. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
3. What happens at the rock concert that Patrick attends that Judd believes sets off a long series of criminal events in which he assisted Patrick?
4. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
5. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
6. What is happening to Michael Sr. when he visits the bar in the Mt. Ephraim Country Club that causes him to throw the contents of his glass of beer into Judge Gerald Kirkland's face?
7. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
8. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
9. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
10. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)