|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches Corrine at the post office?
(a) Rev. Earkin.
(b) Lydia Bethune.
(d) Mrs. Weidman.
2. In the chapter titled "Reverse Prayer", what does Patrick say to Judd when he calls?
(a) He asks for Judd's help.
(b) He asks to speak to their mother.
(c) He asks what happened to their father at the country club.
(d) He confides in Judd that he hates college.
3. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(b) That the heart keeps the body alive.
(c) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(d) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
4. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
(a) She hadn't a clue there was a problem with her daughter.
(b) She wondered if her daughter was sick.
(c) She wondered if her daughter wanted to switch churches.
(d) She'd known something had been wrong but didn't want to investigate.
5. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
(a) High Point Antiques.
(b) High Point This and That.
(c) Chautauqua Valley Farm Antiques.
(d) Mt. Ephraim Antiques.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
2. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
3. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
4. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
5. What is the name of Marianne's horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
2. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
3. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
4. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
5. What is the purpose of putting a lewd drawing on the seat of Marianne's chair in French class, and what happens because of it?
6. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
7. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
8. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
9. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
10. In the chapter, "Every Heartbeat," what is it that Judd suddenly realizes?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)