|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Judd referred to as the caboose?
(a) Judd is the last child born to Corrine and Michael Mulvaney.
(b) Because he liked to play with trains.
(c) No particular reason, it just sounded cute.
(d) Because the caboose was his favorite car on his train.
2. When Patrick calls home in the chapter, "Reverse Prayer," what does he tell Judd he wants to do?
(a) Get sweet revenge.
(b) Execute justice.
(c) Get even.
(d) He wants an eye for an eye.
3. How does Judd find out what really happened to Marianne?
(a) His mother tells him.
(b) He finally asks his father and he tells him.
(c) He finally corners Mike and Mike tells him.
(d) Judd asks Marianne and she tells him.
4. How does Corrine feel about telling Michael about their daughter's rape?
(a) She suspects he will blame her.
(b) She fears his anger at the bad news.
(c) She wishes he would never have to know.
(d) She decides not to tell him.
5. Where does Corrine learn her husband has been spending time?
(a) Scroon Lake.
(b) The Country Club.
(c) Wolf's Head Inn.
(d) Wolf's Head Lodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Judd, what does Patrick's request seem to be?
2. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
3. What does Marianne thank God for after the rape?
4. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
5. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the experience of Michael Sr. and Corrine becoming parents to their four children?
2. What event occurs to Corrine in 1938 that she attributes to providence, and why does she say she is spared from death?
3. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
4. When entering a debate about the war in Vietnam, what is it that Corrine compares that war to, and why?
5. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
6. What exactly does Patrick mean when he says "execution of justice?"
7. Marianne repeats the same words over and over again that she can't remember what happened the night of the dance, and that she can't give testimony against Zach. However, in the chapter, "The Penitent," there is a hint at another thing that could motivate her not to testify. What is that?
8. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
9. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
10. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)