|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Patrick recognize Marianne when he finally sees her?
(a) She looked like a boy.
(b) She was taller than he remembered.
(c) She had gained weight.
(d) She had dyed her hair.
2. Who approaches Corrine at the post office?
(b) Rev. Earkin.
(c) Mrs. Weidman.
(d) Lydia Bethune.
3. What is written about Patrick as a baby?
(a) Patrick was the largest baby.
(b) Patrick was a lively child who got into things.
(c) Patrick was a demanding baby.
(d) Patrick was a quiet and shy baby.
4. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
(a) She should buy some new clothes.
(b) She should wear some makeup.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) She needed to have her hair cut and styled.
5. What happens when Marianne drops her garment bag?
(a) She acts panicky, quickly refusing Patrick's help.
(b) She starts crying.
(c) She grabs it back from Patrick and tells him to let her do it.
(d) She lets Patrick pick it up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
2. What is significant about the dress Marianne wears to the Valentine's Dance?
3. What is written about Patrick Mulvaney's intelligence?
4. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
5. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, "Imminent Mortality", how does Michael Sr. react to the news that his daughter has been raped?
2. Judd happens upon his father talking to his older brothers about some kind of secret. What is the discussion about and what is the significance of the discussion?
3. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
4. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
5. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
6. What is the family code discussed in the chapter by the same title, and in what way does Marianne break the code?
7. What is Michael's reaction when Mort Lundt explains that he grounded his son for six weeks as though what his son did was bad, but not criminal?
8. Outside in the building where her mother stores her antiques, Marianne searched for a picture. What is the name of the picture and why is it so important to her?
9. What does the title of the story imply in comparison to the title of the first chapter, "Storybook House?"
10. Does Patrick set off the stink bomb perfectly timed to coincide with his valedictorian speech? And, if so, what reasons does he have to do it?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)