|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
(a) Another young man staying at Schroon Lake for the summer.
(b) A foreign exchange student.
(c) A friend from home named Jerry.
(d) A fellow college student named Jerry.
2. What statement does Marianne keep making about the night she was raped?
(a) She insists she can't remember.
(b) She admits she was drinking.
(c) She doesn't want to falsely accuse anyone.
(d) All answers are correct.
3. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
(a) The story is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
(b) This is a work of pure fiction.
(c) Most of the story is true, but he did fabricate some to make it interesting.
(d) Judd got some information first hand, and some from memory and conversations with family members.
4. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
(a) Patrick says that nothing their father does makes sense.
(b) Patrick says their father feels guilty he didn't protect Marianne.
(c) Patrick says that their father doesn't hate her.
(d) Patrick says that their father is a drunk.
5. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
(b) Michael Jr.
(c) Michael Sr.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written about Mike Jr. as a baby?
2. What does Patrick need Judd to do to help him follow through with his plan?
3. Where does Marianne work while she attends Kilburn College?
4. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
5. Why is Judd referred to as the caboose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Michael Sr. obsessed with finding the right lawyer for a lawsuit, and what is he actually suing for?
2. When Patrick speaks on the phone with his sister Marianne, what might be said about the background noise that is taking place at her end of the line?
3. What role does Marianne's brother Patrick play the night of the Valentine's Dance that haunts him years after that night?
4. What is the toll on Judd as his siblings leave home?
5. What is Judd's motivation to agree when his brother, Patrick, calls and confirms he is still planning to "extract justice" by possibly killing Zach Lundt?
6. After Corrine learns her daughter had been raped, what does she think about doing to cover for Marianne missing school?
7. What does Judd reveal in the extremely short chapter, "Gone?"
8. What does Lydia Bethune tell Corrine about Marianne and what bothers her the most about the revelation?
9. As one reads about the Valentine's Dance and Marianne Mulvaney being the only junior elected to the King and Queen's court, what do we learn about her?
10. What is revealed about Judd as he watches the dogs rush into the pond as they chase the doe he had been watching?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)