|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He's in the hospital for tests.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He has a stomach ulcer.
2. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
(a) "Take care of Mom. Be sure Mom doesn't crack up."
(b) "Get out! Get out while you can."
(c) "Be strong for Mom. She needs you."
(d) "Find Patrick. Find Patrick. Find Patrick."
3. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Gone but never forgotten."
(b) "Up in smoke."
(c) "Disappeared without a trace."
(d) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
4. What does Judd say about prayer?
(a) Prayer doesn't work.
(b) His mother can pray.
(c) His family is past prayer.
(d) He will continue to pray.
5. What does Judd think when Corrine tells him that Patrick is going to be at the reunion?
(a) He would have some choice words for him if he did.
(b) He doubted Patrick would be there.
(c) He couldn't wait to see him.
(d) He hoped he didn't come.
6. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
(a) He finds a good job.
(b) He quits drinking.
(c) He sends for Corrine.
(d) His drinking increases.
7. Where is Judd to pick up the guns after Patrick is finished with them?
(a) At an abandoned cemetery.
(b) Under some leaves by their church.
(c) In the woods behind their house.
(d) In a trash can by the high school.
8. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
(a) He puts Muffin to sleep.
(b) There is nothing he can do.
(c) Muffin's kidney's are failing and he takes him for dialysis in Pittsburgh.
(d) He gives Muffin updated shots.
9. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
(a) That Judd was jealous.
(b) That he was making it up to make her feel better.
(c) That her father was probably also asking for her brothers.
(d) That she would believe him.
10. How does Patrick feel as he drives away from the bog?
(a) He is feeling elated.
(b) He is mad for not following through with his plan.
(c) He is upset that he killed someone.
(d) He is numb.
11. The last time Marianne speaks to her mother, what does Corrine call Marianne's life?
(b) A rag-quilt life.
(c) A waste.
12. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
(a) It's like the pastor and his wife are her only friends.
(b) It's like she gets her strength from church.
(c) It's like she breaks down every Sunday morning.
(d) It's like she's not really there, she just stares into space.
13. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
(a) He has a bad attitude and temper.
(b) All of the answers are correct.
(c) He looks terrible.
(d) He drinks too much.
14. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Professor Henning.
(b) Doctor Herring.
(c) Doctor Henning.
(d) Professor Herring.
15. Why does Judd finally leave home?
(a) He has a new job in another city.
(b) His father beats him up when he tries to protect his mother.
(c) He is going to college.
(d) He feels that it is time to move.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
2. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
3. Why is Marianne so concerned that her father doesn't recognize her?
4. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
5. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)