|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
(a) Chopping helps get rid of her frustrations.
(b) Because no one else wants to chop them.
(c) Because she loves to cook.
(d) To hide her tears.
2. What does Abelove tell everyone at the Co-Op after they discover Marianne is gone?
(a) That she was visiting her family.
(c) That she needed a vacation.
(d) That she was finding herself.
3. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
(a) He doesn't believe anything she says.
(b) If his father loved him he wouldn't have beaten him.
(c) That it's a lie.
(d) He says he doesn't know what he knows.
4. What does Patrick mean by "Chance follows design"?
(a) First you design something then it's up to chance.
(b) No matter how you design something chance enters into it.
(c) You carefully plan something that looks like luck to an observer.
(d) Nothing is left to chance if it is carefully designed.
5. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
(a) If she allowed kindness she would have to reveal her past.
(b) Kindness is only a mask meant to hide evil intentions.
(c) If she accepts undeserved kindness worse things will happen.
(d) If she allowed good things to happen it would work in reverse.
6. How does Judd explain what happens to their family?
(a) He doesn't know, but says they should forget about it.
(b) They were all too stubborn.
(c) Things go wrong and no one knows how to fix it.
(d) They were all too prideful.
7. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
(a) He puts Muffin to sleep.
(b) There is nothing he can do.
(c) He gives Muffin updated shots.
(d) Muffin's kidney's are failing and he takes him for dialysis in Pittsburgh.
8. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He looks terrible.
(c) He has a bad attitude and temper.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
9. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
(a) She has moved on a few more times.
(b) She and Witt are happily married with two children.
(c) She is living with Corrine.
(d) After moving to Pittsburgh she is finally settling down.
10. Why does Aunt Ethel call Marianne?
(a) To find out how Marianne is doing.
(b) To tell Marianne that her mother wants to see her.
(c) To tell her that Patrick was arrested for attempted murder.
(d) To tell her that her grandmother Hausmann died.
11. What does Patrick start doing the winter before he executes his plan?
(a) Putting his thoughts in a journal.
(c) Working out at the gym.
(d) Spending more time in the lab.
12. What has been happening with Patrick since his father's death?
(a) Patrick is more muscular with shaggy hair.
(b) Patrick's girlfriend, Katya, and he are living in California.
(c) Patrick is now working with autistic children.
(d) All the answers are correct.
13. What does Zachary do when Patrick stops his car and points a rifle at him?
(a) He wets himself.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) He begs not to be shot.
(d) He cries.
14. How does her roommate Felece-Marie react to Marianne's disappearance?
(a) She's happy she'll have the room to herself.
(b) Baffled and numb.
(c) With anger.
(d) Worry and concern.
15. What does the old man call Judd?
(a) Sonny or Bud.
(b) Kid or Sonny.
(c) Juddy-boy or Sonny.
(d) Juddy-boy or Kid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
2. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
3. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
4. What doesn't Marianne take with her?
5. When does Abelove discover that Marianne has left the Co-Op?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)