|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what are the final words of the chapter about their father?
(a) He'll be missed.
(b) So tragic.
(c) So great a man.
2. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
(a) Sixty or seventy.
(b) Fifty or sixty.
(c) Forty or fifty.
(d) Thirty or forty.
3. What does Abelove tell everyone at the Co-Op after they discover Marianne is gone?
(a) That she was visiting her family.
(b) That she was finding herself.
(c) That she needed a vacation.
4. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
(a) Some are sold, others are stored in the new house.
(b) They are put out for a big yard sale.
(c) In the attic of their new home.
(d) They put everything in a giant shed.
5. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
(a) He quits drinking.
(b) He sends for Corrine.
(c) His drinking increases.
(d) He finds a good job.
6. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
(a) Scrub floors.
(b) Search for benefactors.
(c) Cook meals.
(d) Drum up business.
7. What happens after Patrick changes his thesis topic three times?
(a) He was told he could not change his mind again.
(b) He was notified he was failing the course.
(c) He was notified he'd been assigned a new adviser.
(d) He was told he had to do exactly what his adviser wanted or drop the course.
8. What has been happening to Mike Jr. since his father's death?
(a) He is retired from the Marines.
(b) He and his wife are expecting their third child.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) He's married to a lovely woman named Vicky.
9. Where is Judd to pick up the guns after Patrick is finished with them?
(a) In the woods behind their house.
(b) Under some leaves by their church.
(c) In a trash can by the high school.
(d) At an abandoned cemetery.
10. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) This is funny.
(c) She can hear dad laughing.
(d) He'd think it was funny.
11. The last time Marianne speaks to her mother, what does Corrine call Marianne's life?
(a) A rag-quilt life.
(c) A waste.
12. What happens when Patrick tells Zachary he's the brother of the girl he raped?
(a) Zachary asks which girl.
(b) Zachary insists he never raped Marianne.
(c) Zachary laughs.
(d) Zachary apologizes.
13. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(b) "Gone but never forgotten."
(c) "Disappeared without a trace."
(d) "Up in smoke."
14. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(b) Corrine files for divorce.
(c) Michael Sr. moves away.
(d) Judd moves home again.
15. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That he loved Marianne.
(b) That he wanted Abelove's job.
(c) That he wouldn't tell anyone what she told him.
(d) That he was leaving the Co-Op.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
2. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
3. What do some of the people at the Co-Op suspect Abelove knows?
4. What does Michael Sr. suddenly blurt out to Mike Jr. during his visit?
5. Why is Marianne so concerned that her father doesn't recognize her?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)