|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
(a) He doesn't believe anything she says.
(b) If his father loved him he wouldn't have beaten him.
(c) That it's a lie.
(d) He says he doesn't know what he knows.
2. What does Abelove tell everyone at the Co-Op after they discover Marianne is gone?
(a) That she was visiting her family.
(b) That she was finding herself.
(d) That she needed a vacation.
3. The last time Marianne speaks to her mother, what does Corrine call Marianne's life?
(a) A waste.
(b) A rag-quilt life.
4. What does Michael Sr. suddenly blurt out to Mike Jr. during his visit?
(a) That Mike just came to show off to him.
(b) That his son was disloyal when he left home.
(c) That Mike was just there to gather info.
(d) That Mike was looking at him like he is a dog.
5. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That he wouldn't tell anyone what she told him.
(b) That he loved Marianne.
(c) That he wanted Abelove's job.
(d) That he was leaving the Co-Op.
6. What does Michael Sr. want to have done with his ashes?
(a) Have his ashes scattered.
(b) To sprinkle them at his beloved Mt. Ephraim Country Club.
(c) To scatter them on their old farm.
(d) To divide them up between them.
7. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
(a) She tells him she loves him and that she is sorry.
(b) She just stares at him because he looks so different.
(c) She cries so much she can't talk.
(d) She sits silently beside him.
8. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
(a) It's like she breaks down every Sunday morning.
(b) It's like she gets her strength from church.
(c) It's like the pastor and his wife are her only friends.
(d) It's like she's not really there, she just stares into space.
9. What does Aunt Ethel tell her about her mother?
(a) Her mother wanted Aunt Ethel to call and tell her about her grandmother.
(b) Her mother doesn't want her to attend her grandmother's funeral.
(c) That her mother is going to the funeral alone.
(d) Her mother wants her to attend her grandmother's funeral.
10. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
(a) She wanted to marry him.
(b) She had a schoolgirl crush on him.
(c) She laughed at him behind his back.
(d) She respected him but didn't want to get close.
11. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Judd moves home again.
(b) Michael Sr. moves away.
(c) Corrine files for divorce.
(d) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
12. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
(a) She is living with Corrine.
(b) She has moved on a few more times.
(c) She and Witt are happily married with two children.
(d) After moving to Pittsburgh she is finally settling down.
13. What do some of the people at the Co-Op suspect Abelove knows?
(a) He knows how to be invisible so he can hear everything they say.
(b) Everything about them.
(c) Government secrets.
(d) Their darkest secrets.
14. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
(a) "Be strong for Mom. She needs you."
(b) "Find Patrick. Find Patrick. Find Patrick."
(c) "Take care of Mom. Be sure Mom doesn't crack up."
(d) "Get out! Get out while you can."
15. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
(a) She started painting.
(b) Marianne works as an assistant to Penelope Hagstrom, a poet and philanthropist.
(c) She is in college.
(d) She is a maid for a wealthy family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marianne meet Dr. Whittaker West?
2. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
3. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
4. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
5. After the farm sells, where do Michael, Corrine, and Judd move?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)