|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
(a) If they could live together, like test driving a car.
(b) He wanted to know if he could talk to her parents and smooth things over for her.
(c) If there was anything he could do to help her.
(d) If they could live together and maybe marry.
2. Why does Patrick call the Lundts in March?
(a) Gathering intelligence to use in court against them.
(b) To find out if Zachary would be home for Easter break.
(c) Just to play with the family like a cat plays with a mouse.
(d) To find out where Zachary was now.
3. The last time Marianne speaks to her mother, what does Corrine call Marianne's life?
(b) A waste.
(c) A rag-quilt life.
4. Who is Birk?"
(a) Abelove's assistant who disappeared.
(b) Birk is a day worker at the Co-Op.
(c) Abelove's real name is Birk.
(d) Birk is Marianne's boyfriend.
5. What does Patrick suddenly remember as he drives with Zachary?
(a) The German woodcut "The Huntsman."
(b) The classes he was missing.
(c) Easter services the next day.
(d) His family.
6. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He has a stomach ulcer.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He's in the hospital for tests.
7. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Up in smoke."
(b) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(c) "Disappeared without a trace."
(d) "Gone but never forgotten."
8. What has been happening to Mike Jr. since his father's death?
(a) He is retired from the Marines.
(b) He's married to a lovely woman named Vicky.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) He and his wife are expecting their third child.
9. What does an elderly tenant have in the backyard of Judd's new home?
(a) A rocking chair.
(b) A small garden.
(c) A coop of chickens.
(d) A rabbit pen.
10. What kind of day is it when they dispose of Michael's ashes?
(a) A snowy November day.
(b) A sunny day in August.
(c) A windy October day.
(d) A rainy day in April.
11. What does Hewie admit when he and Marianne get back to the Co-Op after going to her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That he loved Marianne.
(b) That he was leaving the Co-Op.
(c) That he wouldn't tell anyone what she told him.
(d) That he wanted Abelove's job.
12. What has been happening with Patrick since his father's death?
(a) Patrick is now working with autistic children.
(b) Patrick is more muscular with shaggy hair.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) Patrick's girlfriend, Katya, and he are living in California.
13. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Professor Herring.
(b) Professor Henning.
(c) Doctor Henning.
(d) Doctor Herring.
14. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what does Judd admit doing with his father's ashes?
(a) He dropped a penny in the box of ashes for good luck.
(b) He peeked at his father's ashes.
(c) He accidentally spilled the ashes.
(d) He didn't admit doing anything to the ashes.
15. Where is Judd to pick up the guns after Patrick is finished with them?
(a) In the woods behind their house.
(b) Under some leaves by their church.
(c) At an abandoned cemetery.
(d) In a trash can by the high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judd explain what happens to their family?
2. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
3. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
4. What is Stump Creek Hill?
5. Why does Aunt Ethel call Marianne?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)