|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what does Judd admit doing with his father's ashes?
(a) He didn't admit doing anything to the ashes.
(b) He dropped a penny in the box of ashes for good luck.
(c) He peeked at his father's ashes.
(d) He accidentally spilled the ashes.
2. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
(a) She goes back to college.
(b) She runs away again.
(c) She stays to work at Stump Creek Hill shelter.
(d) She looks for a job near Stump Creek Hill to pay for Muffin's treatments.
3. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
(a) If his father loved him he wouldn't have beaten him.
(b) He doesn't believe anything she says.
(c) That it's a lie.
(d) He says he doesn't know what he knows.
4. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
(a) Why she asked him for a ride.
(b) What Hewie did to her.
(c) What Hewie said about him while they were away.
(d) If she loves Hewie.
5. What does Abelove say that makes Marianne cry more?
(a) He suggests she get a therapist.
(b) He tells her he knows why she is crying and wants to help.
(c) He depends on her to do her job and not waste time crying.
(d) He says that if nothing makes her cry like she is, what might something do.
6. Why does Judd finally leave home?
(a) He feels that it is time to move.
(b) His father beats him up when he tries to protect his mother.
(c) He has a new job in another city.
(d) He is going to college.
7. What doesn't Marianne take with her?
(b) Her quilt.
(c) Paperback books.
(d) Hardcover textbooks.
8. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
(a) They put everything in a giant shed.
(b) Some are sold, others are stored in the new house.
(c) They are put out for a big yard sale.
(d) In the attic of their new home.
9. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
(a) Patrick is wearing a mask.
(b) Patrick has dyed hair.
(c) Patrick is tougher looking and has a beard.
(d) Patrick is wearing a disguise.
10. What are Marianne's last thoughts as she leaves Abelove's office?
(a) She needed to see Hewie.
(b) None of the answers are correct.
(c) That she couldn't wait to call home.
(d) That she wanted to tell all her friends at the Co-Op.
11. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
(a) He suddenly changes his mind and pulls him out.
(b) He watches as Zachary goes under and drowns.
(c) He laughs and tells him he's getting what he deserves.
(d) He turns around and walks away.
12. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
(a) This is funny.
(b) He'd think it was funny.
(c) She can hear dad laughing.
(d) All the answers are correct.
13. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
(a) The choir loft where no one else was seated.
(b) The last pew closest to the door so she could leave before anyone knew she was there.
(c) Crouched behind a headstone in the cemetery.
(d) Outside the window of the church.
14. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
(a) She laughed at him behind his back.
(b) She had a schoolgirl crush on him.
(c) She wanted to marry him.
(d) She respected him but didn't want to get close.
15. What does Zachary do when Patrick stops his car and points a rifle at him?
(a) He wets himself.
(b) He cries.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) He begs not to be shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man call Judd?
2. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
3. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
4. What does Judd say about prayer?
5. What is Stump Creek Hill?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)