|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Disappeared without a trace."
(b) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(c) "Up in smoke."
(d) "Gone but never forgotten."
2. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
(a) She wanted to marry him.
(b) She respected him but didn't want to get close.
(c) She laughed at him behind his back.
(d) She had a schoolgirl crush on him.
3. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) The woman wanted her to help with her poetry.
(c) Penelope wanted Marianne to become associate director of her foundation.
(d) The woman offered her a higher paid position.
4. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
(a) He says he doesn't know what he knows.
(b) That it's a lie.
(c) If his father loved him he wouldn't have beaten him.
(d) He doesn't believe anything she says.
5. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(b) Michael Sr. moves away.
(c) Corrine files for divorce.
(d) Judd moves home again.
6. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
(a) "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
(b) "Hard work never killed anyone."
(c) "Out of obscurity I came -- to obsurity I can easily return."
(d) "A rose by any other name would smell so sweet."
7. What happens to Corrine's antiques?
(a) They are put out for a big yard sale.
(b) In the attic of their new home.
(c) Some are sold, others are stored in the new house.
(d) They put everything in a giant shed.
8. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
(a) He's delirious.
(b) White Horse is a cheap whiskey he wants his son to buy him.
(c) Michael has been dreaming and in the dream is a white horse.
(d) Michael is trying to change the subject from his drinking.
9. What does Michael Sr. suddenly blurt out to Mike Jr. during his visit?
(a) That his son was disloyal when he left home.
(b) That Mike was looking at him like he is a dog.
(c) That Mike just came to show off to him.
(d) That Mike was just there to gather info.
10. After Marianne arrives at the hospital, what does Judd tell her about their father?
(a) Their father is an alcoholic.
(b) Their father is indigent.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) Their father is a charity case.
11. After the farm sells, where do Michael, Corrine, and Judd move?
(a) A house in Marsena.
(b) A mobile home in Marsena.
(c) An apartment in Mt. Ephraim.
(d) A house in Mt. Ephraim.
12. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
(a) She tells him she loves him and that she is sorry.
(b) She sits silently beside him.
(c) She just stares at him because he looks so different.
(d) She cries so much she can't talk.
13. In the chapter, "Rag-Quilt Life," what does Marianne say before she leaves the Co-Op?
(a) That she needs a vacation.
(b) That she will be back.
14. How does Marianne respond to Abelove's personal question?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) She told him she had to leave.
(c) She thanked him.
(d) She said she had work to do.
15. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
(a) He wanted to put her in charge of looking for benefactors.
(b) He wanted her to be an Associate Director.
(c) He wanted her to take charge of the kitchen.
(d) He wanted her to be manager of the gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
2. Where does Marianne go after leaving the Co-Op?
3. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
4. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
5. What does Michael Sr. want to have done with his ashes?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)