|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hours does Marianne work at the Co-Op a week?
(a) Thirty or forty.
(b) Sixty or seventy.
(c) Fifty or sixty.
(d) Forty or fifty.
2. After Marianne arrives at the hospital, what does Judd tell her about their father?
(a) Their father is an alcoholic.
(b) All the answers are correct.
(c) Their father is a charity case.
(d) Their father is indigent.
3. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
(a) He says he doesn't know what he knows.
(b) He doesn't believe anything she says.
(c) That it's a lie.
(d) If his father loved him he wouldn't have beaten him.
4. What do the brothers do for the first time before they part in the chapter titled, "The Handshake."
(a) They promise to stay in touch.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) They hug.
(d) They pray together.
5. When does Abelove discover that Marianne has left the Co-Op?
(a) At dinner.
(b) Early evening.
(c) Late in the day.
(d) Late afternoon.
6. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
(a) He turns around and walks away.
(b) He laughs and tells him he's getting what he deserves.
(c) He suddenly changes his mind and pulls him out.
(d) He watches as Zachary goes under and drowns.
7. What has been happening with Patrick since his father's death?
(a) Patrick is more muscular with shaggy hair.
(b) Patrick is now working with autistic children.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) Patrick's girlfriend, Katya, and he are living in California.
8. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
(a) She runs away again.
(b) She goes back to college.
(c) She stays to work at Stump Creek Hill shelter.
(d) She looks for a job near Stump Creek Hill to pay for Muffin's treatments.
9. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) The woman wanted her to help with her poetry.
(c) Penelope wanted Marianne to become associate director of her foundation.
(d) The woman offered her a higher paid position.
10. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
(a) He admits it is very hard on her.
(b) He says he can't tell if she's acting okay or if she really is okay.
(c) Judd says she's okay, that she is the one handling most of it.
(d) Judd says she cries a lot.
11. What does Judd say about prayer?
(a) He will continue to pray.
(b) His family is past prayer.
(c) His mother can pray.
(d) Prayer doesn't work.
12. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He's in the hospital for tests.
(c) He has a stomach ulcer.
(d) He had a heart attack.
13. Why does Judd finally leave home?
(a) He feels that it is time to move.
(b) He has a new job in another city.
(c) He is going to college.
(d) His father beats him up when he tries to protect his mother.
14. What doesn't Marianne take with her?
(a) Hardcover textbooks.
(b) Her quilt.
(d) Paperback books.
15. What does Abelove say that makes Marianne cry more?
(a) He depends on her to do her job and not waste time crying.
(b) He says that if nothing makes her cry like she is, what might something do.
(c) He suggests she get a therapist.
(d) He tells her he knows why she is crying and wants to help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
2. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
3. Where does Michael Sr. live when his son, Mike, visits him?
4. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
5. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)