|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Patrick feel as he drives away from the bog?
(a) He is numb.
(b) He is mad for not following through with his plan.
(c) He is upset that he killed someone.
(d) He is feeling elated.
2. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
(a) Michael has been dreaming and in the dream is a white horse.
(b) Michael is trying to change the subject from his drinking.
(c) White Horse is a cheap whiskey he wants his son to buy him.
(d) He's delirious.
3. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Gone but never forgotten."
(b) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(c) "Disappeared without a trace."
(d) "Up in smoke."
4. What does Judd think when Corrine tells him that Patrick is going to be at the reunion?
(a) He would have some choice words for him if he did.
(b) He doubted Patrick would be there.
(c) He hoped he didn't come.
(d) He couldn't wait to see him.
5. What does Patrick start doing the winter before he executes his plan?
(a) Putting his thoughts in a journal.
(b) Spending more time in the lab.
(d) Working out at the gym.
6. What does Abelove say that makes Marianne cry more?
(a) He depends on her to do her job and not waste time crying.
(b) He says that if nothing makes her cry like she is, what might something do.
(c) He suggests she get a therapist.
(d) He tells her he knows why she is crying and wants to help.
7. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
(a) What Hewie said about him while they were away.
(b) What Hewie did to her.
(c) Why she asked him for a ride.
(d) If she loves Hewie.
8. How does her roommate Felece-Marie react to Marianne's disappearance?
(a) Baffled and numb.
(b) She's happy she'll have the room to herself.
(c) Worry and concern.
(d) With anger.
9. After Marianne arrives at the hospital, what does Judd tell her about their father?
(a) Their father is indigent.
(b) Their father is a charity case.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) Their father is an alcoholic.
10. In the chapter, "Rag-Quilt Life," what does Marianne say before she leaves the Co-Op?
(a) That she will be back.
(d) That she needs a vacation.
11. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Doctor Henning.
(b) Doctor Herring.
(c) Professor Herring.
(d) Professor Henning.
12. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
(a) "Get out! Get out while you can."
(b) "Be strong for Mom. She needs you."
(c) "Take care of Mom. Be sure Mom doesn't crack up."
(d) "Find Patrick. Find Patrick. Find Patrick."
13. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
14. What finally happens while Marianne is working at Stump Creek Hill?
(a) Judd comes for a visit.
(b) Patrick shows up and suprises her.
(c) Corrine calls to tell her she wants her to come home.
(d) Corrine calls to tell her to come to Rochester.
15. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
(a) If she accepts undeserved kindness worse things will happen.
(b) Kindness is only a mask meant to hide evil intentions.
(c) If she allowed kindness she would have to reveal her past.
(d) If she allowed good things to happen it would work in reverse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man call Judd?
2. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
3. Who offers to give Marianne a ride to her grandmother's funeral?
4. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
5. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)