|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Doctor Henning.
(b) Professor Henning.
(c) Professor Herring.
(d) Doctor Herring.
2. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(b) Corrine files for divorce.
(c) Michael Sr. moves away.
(d) Judd moves home again.
3. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what are the final words of the chapter about their father?
(a) So great a man.
(b) He'll be missed.
(c) So tragic.
4. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
(a) He wanted her to be manager of the gardens.
(b) He wanted her to take charge of the kitchen.
(c) He wanted to put her in charge of looking for benefactors.
(d) He wanted her to be an Associate Director.
5. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Up in smoke."
(b) "Gone but never forgotten."
(c) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(d) "Disappeared without a trace."
6. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
(a) That Judd was jealous.
(b) That she would believe him.
(c) That her father was probably also asking for her brothers.
(d) That he was making it up to make her feel better.
7. What duty of Birk's does Marianne take over that makes a huge difference at the Co-Op?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Working in the garden.
(d) Keeping the duty roster up to date.
8. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
(d) Mike Jr.
9. When Marianne awakens the morning after her grandmother's funeral, what happens?
(a) She is called to Abelove's office.
(b) She feels sick.
(c) She wants to go for a long walk.
(d) She feels wonderful.
10. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
(a) Kindness is only a mask meant to hide evil intentions.
(b) If she allowed good things to happen it would work in reverse.
(c) If she accepts undeserved kindness worse things will happen.
(d) If she allowed kindness she would have to reveal her past.
11. Why does Judd finally leave home?
(a) He is going to college.
(b) He feels that it is time to move.
(c) He has a new job in another city.
(d) His father beats him up when he tries to protect his mother.
12. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He has a stomach ulcer.
(d) He's in the hospital for tests.
13. What kind of day is it when they dispose of Michael's ashes?
(a) A sunny day in August.
(b) A snowy November day.
(c) A windy October day.
(d) A rainy day in April.
14. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
(a) She respected him but didn't want to get close.
(b) She wanted to marry him.
(c) She laughed at him behind his back.
(d) She had a schoolgirl crush on him.
15. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
(a) The woman offered her a higher paid position.
(b) The woman wanted her to help with her poetry.
(c) Penelope wanted Marianne to become associate director of her foundation.
(d) All the answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
2. What does Michael Sr. want to have done with his ashes?
3. What does an elderly tenant have in the backyard of Judd's new home?
4. How does her roommate Felece-Marie react to Marianne's disappearance?
5. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)