|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marianne respond to Abelove's personal question?
(a) She thanked him.
(b) She said she had work to do.
(c) She told him she had to leave.
(d) All the answers are correct.
2. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Corrine files for divorce.
(b) Michael Sr. moves away.
(c) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(d) Judd moves home again.
3. What happens to Marianne when she cries while shoveling snow?
(a) Nothing, she keeps working.
(b) Nothing, she had a scarf protecting her.
(c) Her tears freeze.
(d) She tries to dry them with tissues, but the tissues freeze and she looks like Santa.
4. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
(a) Outside the window of the church.
(b) The choir loft where no one else was seated.
(c) Crouched behind a headstone in the cemetery.
(d) The last pew closest to the door so she could leave before anyone knew she was there.
5. What finally happens while Marianne is working at Stump Creek Hill?
(a) Judd comes for a visit.
(b) Corrine calls to tell her she wants her to come home.
(c) Patrick shows up and suprises her.
(d) Corrine calls to tell her to come to Rochester.
6. What does Corrine say after they scatter her husband's ashes?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) He'd think it was funny.
(c) This is funny.
(d) She can hear dad laughing.
7. What does Patrick mean by "Chance follows design"?
(a) Nothing is left to chance if it is carefully designed.
(b) First you design something then it's up to chance.
(c) You carefully plan something that looks like luck to an observer.
(d) No matter how you design something chance enters into it.
8. What is Stump Creek Hill?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) A veterinary clinic.
(c) A home for sick, injured, abandoned, and elderly animals.
(d) A federal and state licensed zoo.
9. What do the brothers do for the first time before they part in the chapter titled, "The Handshake."
(a) They pray together.
(b) No answers are correct.
(c) They hug.
(d) They promise to stay in touch.
10. What kind of day is it when they dispose of Michael's ashes?
(a) A sunny day in August.
(b) A windy October day.
(c) A rainy day in April.
(d) A snowy November day.
11. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He has a stomach ulcer.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He's in the hospital for tests.
12. How does Marianne meet Dr. Whittaker West?
(a) He's a vet and she takes Muffin there.
(b) She is sick and needs a doctor.
(c) He is her college professor.
(d) They are set up on a blind date.
13. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
(a) He puts Muffin to sleep.
(b) Muffin's kidney's are failing and he takes him for dialysis in Pittsburgh.
(c) He gives Muffin updated shots.
(d) There is nothing he can do.
14. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Professor Herring.
(b) Doctor Henning.
(c) Doctor Herring.
(d) Professor Henning.
15. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
(a) Patrick has dyed hair.
(b) Patrick is tougher looking and has a beard.
(c) Patrick is wearing a mask.
(d) Patrick is wearing a disguise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
2. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
3. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
4. What do some of the people at the Co-Op suspect Abelove knows?
5. What does the old man call Judd?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)