|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
(a) Patrick is tougher looking and has a beard.
(b) Patrick has dyed hair.
(c) Patrick is wearing a disguise.
(d) Patrick is wearing a mask.
2. When Marianne awakens the morning after her grandmother's funeral, what happens?
(a) She feels wonderful.
(b) She is called to Abelove's office.
(c) She wants to go for a long walk.
(d) She feels sick.
3. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
(a) What Hewie said about him while they were away.
(b) If she loves Hewie.
(c) Why she asked him for a ride.
(d) What Hewie did to her.
4. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(b) "Gone but never forgotten."
(c) "Up in smoke."
(d) "Disappeared without a trace."
5. How does Judd explain what happens to their family?
(a) They were all too prideful.
(b) Things go wrong and no one knows how to fix it.
(c) He doesn't know, but says they should forget about it.
(d) They were all too stubborn.
6. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He has a stomach ulcer.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He had a heart attack.
(d) He's in the hospital for tests.
7. Why does Aunt Ethel call Marianne?
(a) To find out how Marianne is doing.
(b) To tell her that Patrick was arrested for attempted murder.
(c) To tell Marianne that her mother wants to see her.
(d) To tell her that her grandmother Hausmann died.
8. What happens to Marianne when she cries while shoveling snow?
(a) Nothing, she keeps working.
(b) Nothing, she had a scarf protecting her.
(c) Her tears freeze.
(d) She tries to dry them with tissues, but the tissues freeze and she looks like Santa.
9. What does Judd say about prayer?
(a) Prayer doesn't work.
(b) His family is past prayer.
(c) His mother can pray.
(d) He will continue to pray.
10. Where does Marianne go after leaving the Co-Op?
(a) Erie, Pennsylvania.
(b) No one knows.
(c) Ithaca, New York.
(d) Spartansburg, Pennsylvania.
11. What member of the family is missing at Michael Mulvaney Sr.'s funeral?
(b) Mike Jr.
12. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
(a) The woman wanted her to help with her poetry.
(b) Penelope wanted Marianne to become associate director of her foundation.
(c) The woman offered her a higher paid position.
(d) All the answers are correct.
13. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what does Judd admit doing with his father's ashes?
(a) He dropped a penny in the box of ashes for good luck.
(b) He didn't admit doing anything to the ashes.
(c) He peeked at his father's ashes.
(d) He accidentally spilled the ashes.
14. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
(a) Cook meals.
(b) Drum up business.
(c) Search for benefactors.
(d) Scrub floors.
15. What does Corrine say to Judd when she invites him to a Fourth of July cookout?
(a) That it was finally time to celebrate.
(b) It was going to be a great feast.
(c) That he should bring ice.
(d) That it would also be a family reunion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judd keep hearing himself say?
2. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
3. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
4. What does Judd think when Corrine tells him that Patrick is going to be at the reunion?
5. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)