|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Judd finally leave home?
(a) He has a new job in another city.
(b) He is going to college.
(c) His father beats him up when he tries to protect his mother.
(d) He feels that it is time to move.
2. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
(a) That Judd was jealous.
(b) That he was making it up to make her feel better.
(c) That her father was probably also asking for her brothers.
(d) That she would believe him.
3. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
(a) He sends for Corrine.
(b) His drinking increases.
(c) He quits drinking.
(d) He finds a good job.
4. How does Marianne respond to Abelove's personal question?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) She said she had work to do.
(c) She thanked him.
(d) She told him she had to leave.
5. Who is Birk?"
(a) Birk is Marianne's boyfriend.
(b) Abelove's assistant who disappeared.
(c) Birk is a day worker at the Co-Op.
(d) Abelove's real name is Birk.
6. What do some of the people at the Co-Op suspect Abelove knows?
(a) Government secrets.
(b) He knows how to be invisible so he can hear everything they say.
(c) Their darkest secrets.
(d) Everything about them.
7. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
(a) If she accepts undeserved kindness worse things will happen.
(b) Kindness is only a mask meant to hide evil intentions.
(c) If she allowed good things to happen it would work in reverse.
(d) If she allowed kindness she would have to reveal her past.
8. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
(a) Chopping helps get rid of her frustrations.
(b) Because she loves to cook.
(c) Because no one else wants to chop them.
(d) To hide her tears.
9. What does Judd tell Patrick about their mother on Sunday mornings at church?
(a) It's like the pastor and his wife are her only friends.
(b) It's like she breaks down every Sunday morning.
(c) It's like she gets her strength from church.
(d) It's like she's not really there, she just stares into space.
10. In the chapter titled, "Gone," what are the final words of the chapter about their father?
(a) So great a man.
(b) He'll be missed.
(c) So tragic.
11. From where does Marianne watch her grandmother's funeral?
(a) The choir loft where no one else was seated.
(b) Outside the window of the church.
(c) Crouched behind a headstone in the cemetery.
(d) The last pew closest to the door so she could leave before anyone knew she was there.
12. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
(a) White Horse is a cheap whiskey he wants his son to buy him.
(b) Michael is trying to change the subject from his drinking.
(c) Michael has been dreaming and in the dream is a white horse.
(d) He's delirious.
13. What does Marianne do after Whit tends to Muffin?
(a) She stays to work at Stump Creek Hill shelter.
(b) She looks for a job near Stump Creek Hill to pay for Muffin's treatments.
(c) She runs away again.
(d) She goes back to college.
14. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
(a) He wanted her to be an Associate Director.
(b) He wanted her to take charge of the kitchen.
(c) He wanted her to be manager of the gardens.
(d) He wanted to put her in charge of looking for benefactors.
15. What do the brothers do for the first time before they part in the chapter titled, "The Handshake."
(a) No answers are correct.
(b) They hug.
(c) They pray together.
(d) They promise to stay in touch.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning following her trip to the funeral, what does Abelove ask Marianne about Hewie?
2. What does Marianne do for work after leaving the Co-Op?
3. What does Judd reply when his mother tells him that his father loves him?
4. What does Patrick do when Zachary begins sinking in the bog?
5. What does Abelove have to swallow his pride to do for the Co-Op?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)