|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marianne feel about Abelove?
(a) She had a schoolgirl crush on him.
(b) She respected him but didn't want to get close.
(c) She laughed at him behind his back.
(d) She wanted to marry him.
2. What does Zachary do when Patrick stops his car and points a rifle at him?
(a) He cries.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) He wets himself.
(d) He begs not to be shot.
3. Why does Michael Sr. ask Mike about a white horse?
(a) Michael is trying to change the subject from his drinking.
(b) White Horse is a cheap whiskey he wants his son to buy him.
(c) He's delirious.
(d) Michael has been dreaming and in the dream is a white horse.
4. Who is the professor who serves as Patrick's adviser in college?
(a) Doctor Henning.
(b) Professor Henning.
(c) Doctor Herring.
(d) Professor Herring.
5. What words of Abelove's have a grimly prophetic tone?
(a) "Disappeared without a trace."
(b) "Vanished off the face of the Earth."
(c) "Up in smoke."
(d) "Gone but never forgotten."
6. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
(a) To hide her tears.
(b) Because no one else wants to chop them.
(c) Chopping helps get rid of her frustrations.
(d) Because she loves to cook.
7. What warning does Marianne hear when people pay too much attention to her?
(a) If she accepts undeserved kindness worse things will happen.
(b) Kindness is only a mask meant to hide evil intentions.
(c) If she allowed kindness she would have to reveal her past.
(d) If she allowed good things to happen it would work in reverse.
8. What does Marianne do when she sees her father for the first time in twelve years?
(a) She cries so much she can't talk.
(b) She tells him she loves him and that she is sorry.
(c) She sits silently beside him.
(d) She just stares at him because he looks so different.
9. Why can't Michael Sr. get and keep a job?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
(b) He drinks too much.
(c) He has a bad attitude and temper.
(d) He looks terrible.
10. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Michael Sr. moves away.
(b) Corrine files for divorce.
(c) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(d) Judd moves home again.
11. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
(a) He wanted to know if he could talk to her parents and smooth things over for her.
(b) If they could live together, like test driving a car.
(c) If there was anything he could do to help her.
(d) If they could live together and maybe marry.
12. What has been happening to Marianne since her father's death?
(a) She and Witt are happily married with two children.
(b) After moving to Pittsburgh she is finally settling down.
(c) She is living with Corrine.
(d) She has moved on a few more times.
13. What does Judd think when Corrine tells him that Patrick is going to be at the reunion?
(a) He would have some choice words for him if he did.
(b) He couldn't wait to see him.
(c) He doubted Patrick would be there.
(d) He hoped he didn't come.
14. What happens when Patrick tells Zachary he's the brother of the girl he raped?
(a) Zachary insists he never raped Marianne.
(b) Zachary asks which girl.
(c) Zachary laughs.
(d) Zachary apologizes.
15. How does Judd reply when Patrick asks how their mother is taking the sale of the farm?
(a) He says he can't tell if she's acting okay or if she really is okay.
(b) He admits it is very hard on her.
(c) Judd says she cries a lot.
(d) Judd says she's okay, that she is the one handling most of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Marianne when she cries while shoveling snow?
2. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
3. When Marianne awakens the morning after her grandmother's funeral, what happens?
4. Why doesn't Judd recognize Patrick when they meet the night before Easter?
5. What does Whit West do for Muffin?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)