|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marianne always volunteer to chop onions at the Co-Op?
(a) Because no one else wants to chop them.
(b) Because she loves to cook.
(c) To hide her tears.
(d) Chopping helps get rid of her frustrations.
2. What happens to Michael Sr. in Rochester?
(a) His drinking increases.
(b) He quits drinking.
(c) He finds a good job.
(d) He sends for Corrine.
3. In the chapter, "Intensive Care," what is happening to Michael Mulvaney, Sr.?
(a) He's in the hospital for tests.
(b) He had a heart attack.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He has a stomach ulcer.
4. Where does Michael Mulvaney move after he leaves Corrine?
5. When does Abelove discover that Marianne has left the Co-Op?
(a) Early evening.
(b) Late in the day.
(c) Late afternoon.
(d) At dinner.
6. Where does Patrick expect to capture Zachary Lundt?
(a) At the country club.
(b) Cobb's Corner Inn.
(c) At the bog.
(d) At the gym where Zachary works out.
7. What happens on the first day of summer in the chapter titled, "On My Own"?
(a) Michael Sr. files for bakruptcy.
(b) Judd moves home again.
(c) Corrine files for divorce.
(d) Michael Sr. moves away.
8. What does Marianne decide after Judd tells her that their father is asking for her and only her?
(a) That he was making it up to make her feel better.
(b) That her father was probably also asking for her brothers.
(c) That she would believe him.
(d) That Judd was jealous.
9. Why does Aunt Ethel call Marianne?
(a) To tell her that her grandmother Hausmann died.
(b) To tell her that Patrick was arrested for attempted murder.
(c) To tell Marianne that her mother wants to see her.
(d) To find out how Marianne is doing.
10. What does Abelove say about Marianne's relationship with the Co-Op?
(a) He wanted her to be an Associate Director.
(b) He wanted her to take charge of the kitchen.
(c) He wanted to put her in charge of looking for benefactors.
(d) He wanted her to be manager of the gardens.
11. Why does Marianne leave Penelope Hagstrom's?
(a) All the answers are correct.
(b) Penelope wanted Marianne to become associate director of her foundation.
(c) The woman offered her a higher paid position.
(d) The woman wanted her to help with her poetry.
12. What Charlotte Bronte words become a motto to Marianne?
(a) "Out of obscurity I came -- to obsurity I can easily return."
(b) "Hard work never killed anyone."
(c) "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
(d) "A rose by any other name would smell so sweet."
13. How does Judd explain what happens to their family?
(a) They were all too prideful.
(b) Things go wrong and no one knows how to fix it.
(c) He doesn't know, but says they should forget about it.
(d) They were all too stubborn.
14. On the morning after the funeral, what personal question does Abelove ask Marianne?
(a) If there was anything he could do to help her.
(b) If they could live together and maybe marry.
(c) If they could live together, like test driving a car.
(d) He wanted to know if he could talk to her parents and smooth things over for her.
15. What does an elderly tenant have in the backyard of Judd's new home?
(a) A coop of chickens.
(b) A small garden.
(c) A rocking chair.
(d) A rabbit pen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judd say about prayer?
2. What has been happening with Patrick since his father's death?
3. What does the old man call Judd?
4. How does Marianne meet Dr. Whittaker West?
5. How does Judd refer to the area of town where he lives after leaving his parent's home?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)