|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Judd find out what really happened to Marianne?
(a) His mother tells him.
(b) He finally corners Mike and Mike tells him.
(c) Judd asks Marianne and she tells him.
(d) He finally asks his father and he tells him.
2. In the chapter titled "Phase," what does Michael Sr. begin doing late at night?
(a) Smoking and drinking beer or whiskey.
(b) Sleeping more soundly than usual.
(c) Having nightmares.
(d) Going for long walks by himself.
3. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
(a) Michael Sr.
(b) Michael Jr.
4. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
(a) Mick Jaggar.
(b) Mike Jr.
(d) Zachary Lundt.
5. What does Judd notice about his father and the people around them at Patrick's graduation?
(a) That the man who was once the center of attention was now treated like an invisible man.
(b) That his father doesn't want to talk to anyone.
(c) That his father looks so out of place among his friends.
(d) That the people treated his father with respect.
6. Who is Muffin?
(a) A dog.
(b) A goat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A cat.
7. Where does Marianne work while she attends Kilburn College?
(a) The Green Isle Co-Op.
(b) She is interning for a local newspaper.
(c) In her college cafeteria.
(d) She is a full time student and does not work.
8. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
(a) After going to a dance at Schroon Lake with Corrine.
(b) After swimming with Corrine in Schroon Lake.
(c) At first sight.
(d) After helping Corrine rescue a goose.
9. What does Corrine say leads her mother and her to safety in the snow storm?
(b) Twinkle lights.
(d) A light from Heaven.
10. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
(a) A lovely doll.
(b) A beautiful watch.
(c) A crystal vase.
(d) A bracelet.
11. What does Judd say about the newspaper where he is editor?
(a) It is a great place to get his start before moving on to a larger newspaper.
(b) It is a good, decent, truth-telling paper.
(c) It is the best newspaper in the county.
(d) It is the only newspaper in town.
12. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
(a) She thinks birds spread germs.
(b) She doesn't like the bird being loose.
(c) She wants Feathers for her own.
(d) She doesn't think it should be in a cage.
13. What happens when Judd asks Patrick what happened to Marianne?
(a) Patrick refuses to discuss it.
(b) Patrick gets angry and tells Judd to mind his own business.
(c) Patrick is visibly upset and storms away in anger.
(d) Patrick admits she's had some trouble, but that she is okay now.
14. How does Corrine say the country club discriminates against her family?
(a) They can't get in without dress clothing.
(b) They don't permit children in the dining room.
(c) She and Marianne cannot enter through the front door.
(d) They don't let them eat in the main dining room.
15. Why is Judd referred to as the caboose?
(a) No particular reason, it just sounded cute.
(b) Because he liked to play with trains.
(c) Because the caboose was his favorite car on his train.
(d) Judd is the last child born to Corrine and Michael Mulvaney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
2. Where does Patrick go in September 1976?
3. How old is Corrine in the story she tells about December 1938?
4. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
5. Which of the Mulvaney children is said to be the most natural Christian?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)