|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
2. What does the ringing of the cowbell signify to the Mulvaney family?
(a) Ringing the cowbell signals a phone call for someone who isn't in the house.
(b) Ringing the cowbell signals dinner.
(c) Ringing the cowbell means the parents want to talk to the children.
(d) Ringing the cowbell signals an outing.
3. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
(a) He throws the contents of his beer glass in Judge Gerald Kirkland's face.
(b) He gets up and sings "Yankee Doodle."
(c) He tears up his membership card and throws it at the club president.
(d) He gets so drunk he passes out.
4. What does Patrick need Judd to do to help him follow through with his plan?
(a) Create an alibi for him.
(b) Get some guns from their gun cabinet.
(c) Get some fertilizer from the barn.
(d) Get a pistol from the nightstand beside their father's bed.
5. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
(b) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(c) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(d) That the heart keeps the body alive.
6. What is Judd thinking as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) Every heatbeat is past and gone.
(b) That he had a strong heartbeat.
(c) That he had a loud heartbeat.
(d) That he wanted to be a doctor someday.
7. Why is Patrick so enthralled by "The Huntsman"?
(a) Patrick collected art that depicted man against beast.
(b) It raised the question, will the huntsman really shoot the ram he's aiming his weapon at.
(c) Patrick loved hunting and the picture reminded him of the sport.
(d) The artwork was a modern style Patrick liked.
8. When Patrick calls home in the chapter, "Reverse Prayer," what does he tell Judd he wants to do?
(a) Get even.
(b) Execute justice.
(c) Get sweet revenge.
(d) He wants an eye for an eye.
9. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
(a) Michael Sr.
(b) Michael Jr.
10. What does the woodcut make Patrick wonder about himself?
(a) Would he ever be able to take a hunting trip to Canada?
(b) Was he coded, like other males, to hunt and kill?
(c) Why did the man in the picture look like him?
(d) Was he no different than any other human being?
11. What is written about Patrick as a baby?
(a) Patrick was a lively child who got into things.
(b) Patrick was a demanding baby.
(c) Patrick was a quiet and shy baby.
(d) Patrick was the largest baby.
12. What happens when Judd asks his mother if Marianne is sick?
(a) Corrine says Marianne will be back at school soon.
(b) Corrine seemed in a hurry to get away before being asked more questions.
(c) Corrine says Marianne just had the flu.
(d) All answers are correct.
13. In the chapter, "The Assault," why does Michael Mulvaney go to Mort Lundt's house?
(a) Mort is his good friend, and he wants to discuss what happened to Marianne with him.
(b) He is angry because he believes Zachary, Mort's son, is the person who raped Marianne.
(c) Michael stops by there regularly to play cards with Mort.
(d) He is out driving and just ends up there.
14. To Judd, what does Patrick's request seem to be?
(a) A horrible thing.
(b) Something that only special friends do.
(c) Something that brothers do for one another.
(d) Something he didn't want to do.
15. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
(a) Patrick says that their father doesn't hate her.
(b) Patrick says that their father is a drunk.
(c) Patrick says that nothing their father does makes sense.
(d) Patrick says their father feels guilty he didn't protect Marianne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person Marianne is living with?
2. What does Corrine find when she goes to pick up her husband after a late night call saying he couldn't drive home?
3. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
4. What does one realize about Judd in the opening of the chapter, "Every Heartbeat?"
5. What happens when Marianne drops her garment bag?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)