|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is written about Marianne as a baby?
(a) Marianne was a lively child.
(b) Marianne was their miracle baby; very easy going.
(c) Marianne was a demanding baby.
(d) Marianne was the largest baby.
2. Why does Patrick suddenly try to change?
(a) His friends told him he was anti-social.
(b) He was going through a new phase in his life.
(c) A girl he liked said he was "icy-cold."
(d) He realized he had no friends.
3. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
(a) Another young man staying at Schroon Lake for the summer.
(b) A foreign exchange student.
(c) A friend from home named Jerry.
(d) A fellow college student named Jerry.
4. When Patrick calls home in the chapter, "Reverse Prayer," what does he tell Judd he wants to do?
(a) Get even.
(b) Get sweet revenge.
(c) Execute justice.
(d) He wants an eye for an eye.
5. After looking all over the bus terminal for Marianne, where does Patrick find her?
(a) She showed up at his apartment.
(b) Sleeping on a bench.
(c) Coming ouf of the restroom.
(d) Outside the terminal.
6. What is the question that might have been raised about Marianne's phone call for a ride home the day after the Valentine's Dance?
(a) Marianne was supposed to be home the night before.
(b) Marianne was supposed to be picked up later.
(c) Marianne was supposed to be driven home by someone else.
(d) There was no question to be raised.
7. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
(a) Mike Jr.
(c) Zachary Lundt.
(d) Mick Jaggar.
8. Where does Michael Mulvaney Sr. go in the chapter titled "Dignity?"
(a) To Ithaca to visit Patrick.
(b) Mt. Ephraim Country Club.
(c) To work.
(d) To the store.
9. Why doesn't Patrick recognize Marianne when he finally sees her?
(a) She had gained weight.
(b) She had dyed her hair.
(c) She was taller than he remembered.
(d) She looked like a boy.
10. Where does Lydia Bethune say she has been seeing Marianne when she should have been in school?
(a) St. Ann's Church.
(b) On the playground.
(c) In a back booth at the diner.
(d) St. Michael's Church.
11. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
(a) A lovely doll.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A crystal vase.
(d) A beautiful watch.
12. Where does most of the story take place?
(a) Chautauqua Valley Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
(b) Five Point Road, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
(c) High Point Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
(d) High Point Farm, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
13. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
(a) Patrick says that their father doesn't hate her.
(b) Patrick says their father feels guilty he didn't protect Marianne.
(c) Patrick says that nothing their father does makes sense.
(d) Patrick says that their father is a drunk.
14. What does the woodcut make Patrick wonder about himself?
(a) Why did the man in the picture look like him?
(b) Would he ever be able to take a hunting trip to Canada?
(c) Was he coded, like other males, to hunt and kill?
(d) Was he no different than any other human being?
15. To Judd, what does Patrick's request seem to be?
(a) Something that only special friends do.
(b) Something that brothers do for one another.
(c) A horrible thing.
(d) Something he didn't want to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ringing of the cowbell signify to the Mulvaney family?
2. What does Mrs. Lundt do from another part of the house?
3. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
4. Who approaches Corrine at the post office?
5. What does Marianne do when someone draws a nasty picture on the seat of her chair at school?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)