|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
(a) He joins the Marines.
(b) He beats up his father.
(c) He goes looking for Marianne.
(d) He runs away from home.
2. What metaphor does Patrick use to explain what's happened to their father?
(a) Their father is a casualty of war.
(b) Their father has fallen off his pedestal.
(c) A frog whose life is sucked out of it by a giant water spider.
(d) Their father is a child who no one wants to play with.
3. Which of the Mulvaney children is said to be the most natural Christian?
4. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
(a) A lovely doll.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A crystal vase.
(d) A beautiful watch.
5. What statement does Marianne keep making about the night she was raped?
(a) She doesn't want to falsely accuse anyone.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) She admits she was drinking.
(d) She insists she can't remember.
6. What is the name of the person Marianne is living with?
(a) Grandma Hausmann.
(b) Ethel Mulaney.
(c) Ethel Hausmann.
(d) Katrina Mulvaney.
7. Who does Corrine depend on to tell her when there are problems or "situations" with her children?
(c) Michael Jr.
(d) Michael Sr.
8. In the chapter, "The Assault," why does Michael Mulvaney go to Mort Lundt's house?
(a) He is out driving and just ends up there.
(b) Mort is his good friend, and he wants to discuss what happened to Marianne with him.
(c) He is angry because he believes Zachary, Mort's son, is the person who raped Marianne.
(d) Michael stops by there regularly to play cards with Mort.
9. After looking all over the bus terminal for Marianne, where does Patrick find her?
(a) She showed up at his apartment.
(b) Sleeping on a bench.
(c) Outside the terminal.
(d) Coming ouf of the restroom.
10. Who is Corrine almost engaged to before she meets Michael?
(a) A friend from home named Jerry.
(b) Another young man staying at Schroon Lake for the summer.
(c) A fellow college student named Jerry.
(d) A foreign exchange student.
11. What happens when Marianne drops her garment bag?
(a) She lets Patrick pick it up.
(b) She acts panicky, quickly refusing Patrick's help.
(c) She starts crying.
(d) She grabs it back from Patrick and tells him to let her do it.
12. What is written about Mike Jr. as a baby?
(a) Mike Jr. was a quiet and shy baby.
(b) Mike Jr. was the smallest baby.
(c) Mike Jr. was a demanding baby.
(d) Mike Jr. was a lively child who got into things.
13. How does Judd find out what really happened to Marianne?
(a) His mother tells him.
(b) He finally corners Mike and Mike tells him.
(c) Judd asks Marianne and she tells him.
(d) He finally asks his father and he tells him.
14. In the chapter "Plastica," what does Patrick tell Judd when he calls home?
(a) That he's joining the crowd and going out more.
(b) That he's started working in plastic art.
(c) That he's going to a rock concert.
(d) That he's going rock climbing.
15. Who is P.J.?
(a) Patrick Mulvaney.
(b) Corrine's aunt, Penelope Josephine.
(c) Corrine, who loved being in her PJ's.
(d) Papa John, Michael's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is meant by Pinch's laser-ray?
2. The night Patrick is out with his friends, who does Patrick think he sees?
3. In the chapter titled "Phase," what does Michael Sr. begin doing late at night?
4. How old is Judd when Patrick makes his request?
5. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)