|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Judd realize as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That the brain needs the heart to survive.
(b) That the heart needs the brain for people to survive.
(c) That one day he and everyone he loves will die.
(d) That the heart keeps the body alive.
2. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
(a) A crystal vase.
(b) A lovely doll.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A beautiful watch.
3. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
(a) Judd got some information first hand, and some from memory and conversations with family members.
(b) This is a work of pure fiction.
(c) The story is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
(d) Most of the story is true, but he did fabricate some to make it interesting.
4. What does Patrick tell Judd when he asks why their father hates Marianne?
(a) Patrick says that nothing their father does makes sense.
(b) Patrick says that their father doesn't hate her.
(c) Patrick says that their father is a drunk.
(d) Patrick says their father feels guilty he didn't protect Marianne.
5. Where does Corrine learn her husband has been spending time?
(a) The Country Club.
(b) Scroon Lake.
(c) Wolf's Head Lodge.
(d) Wolf's Head Inn.
6. How many members of the Mulvaney family are there at the beginning of the story?
(a) Thirty-five, counting pets.
(c) Sixteen, plus farm animals.
(d) Six, not counting pets.
7. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
(a) His soccer coach.
(b) A farmer.
(c) His mother.
(d) His football coach.
8. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
(a) It gives her something to do.
(b) She takes pride in unwrinkled clothes.
(c) She doesn't like ironing at all.
(d) It is a time she can meditate and pray.
9. What is Corrine's nickname?
10. What happens when Marianne drops her garment bag?
(a) She lets Patrick pick it up.
(b) She grabs it back from Patrick and tells him to let her do it.
(c) She starts crying.
(d) She acts panicky, quickly refusing Patrick's help.
11. In the chapter titled "Reverse Prayer", what does Patrick say to Judd when he calls?
(a) He confides in Judd that he hates college.
(b) He asks what happened to their father at the country club.
(c) He asks to speak to their mother.
(d) He asks for Judd's help.
12. Where does most of the story take place?
(a) Chautauqua Valley Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
(b) High Point Farm, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
(c) Five Point Road, Mt. Ephraim, New York.
(d) High Point Farm, Chautauqua, New York.
13. What is significant about the dress Marianne wears to the Valentine's Dance?
(a) Her mother suprised her with the dress.
(b) The dress is an altered dress that had once been Corrine's.
(c) Marianne and her mother shopped for it together.
(d) Marianne sewed the dress herself.
14. What is written about Marianne as a baby?
(a) Marianne was a demanding baby.
(b) Marianne was their miracle baby; very easy going.
(c) Marianne was a lively child.
(d) Marianne was the largest baby.
15. What does the ringing of the cowbell signify to the Mulvaney family?
(a) Ringing the cowbell signals a phone call for someone who isn't in the house.
(b) Ringing the cowbell signals an outing.
(c) Ringing the cowbell signals dinner.
(d) Ringing the cowbell means the parents want to talk to the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jill James?
2. In the chapter "Plastica," what does Patrick tell Judd when he calls home?
3. How old is Corrine in the story she tells about December 1938?
4. What does Judd think bothers his brother, Mike, the most about their sister's rape?
5. What does Patrick need Judd to do to help him follow through with his plan?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)