|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is written about Marianne as a baby?
(a) Marianne was a demanding baby.
(b) Marianne was the largest baby.
(c) Marianne was their miracle baby; very easy going.
(d) Marianne was a lively child.
2. Why is Patrick so enthralled by "The Huntsman"?
(a) The artwork was a modern style Patrick liked.
(b) Patrick loved hunting and the picture reminded him of the sport.
(c) Patrick collected art that depicted man against beast.
(d) It raised the question, will the huntsman really shoot the ram he's aiming his weapon at.
3. What happens when Judd asks Patrick what happened to Marianne?
(a) Patrick gets angry and tells Judd to mind his own business.
(b) Patrick is visibly upset and storms away in anger.
(c) Patrick refuses to discuss it.
(d) Patrick admits she's had some trouble, but that she is okay now.
4. What does Corrine think about her daughter after talking with Mrs. Bethune?
(a) She wondered if her daughter was sick.
(b) She wondered if her daughter wanted to switch churches.
(c) She hadn't a clue there was a problem with her daughter.
(d) She'd known something had been wrong but didn't want to investigate.
5. What do Marianne's parents give her on her sixteenth birthday that she now fears is broken?
(a) A lovely doll.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A crystal vase.
(d) A beautiful watch.
6. When does Michael realize he is in love with Corrine?
(a) After going to a dance at Schroon Lake with Corrine.
(b) After swimming with Corrine in Schroon Lake.
(c) After helping Corrine rescue a goose.
(d) At first sight.
7. How does Judd feel about Patrick's plan?
(a) He thinks Patrick will change his mind.
(b) He's uncertain Patrick is strong enough to do it.
(c) He's afraid Patrick won't do it right.
(d) None of the answers are correct.
8. Who is Jill James?
(a) Marianne's best friend.
(b) The therapist Marianne is sent to see.
(c) Marianne's homeroom teacher.
(d) A friend of Corrine's from high school.
9. Where does Marianne work while she attends Kilburn College?
(a) The Green Isle Co-Op.
(b) She is interning for a local newspaper.
(c) She is a full time student and does not work.
(d) In her college cafeteria.
10. Why does Marianne like to do ironing?
(a) She takes pride in unwrinkled clothes.
(b) It gives her something to do.
(c) It is a time she can meditate and pray.
(d) She doesn't like ironing at all.
11. In the chapter "Plastica," what does Patrick tell Judd when he calls home?
(a) That he's going to a rock concert.
(b) That he's joining the crowd and going out more.
(c) That he's going rock climbing.
(d) That he's started working in plastic art.
12. What does Judd say about setting down the truth of this story?
(a) Most of the story is true, but he did fabricate some to make it interesting.
(b) Judd got some information first hand, and some from memory and conversations with family members.
(c) This is a work of pure fiction.
(d) The story is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
13. What is "The Huntsman?"
(a) A woodcut picture Corrine purchased at auction that Patrick particularly liked.
(b) A picture Marianne painted for Patrick.
(c) A picture Patrick painted in high school.
(d) A picture Patrick bid on and won at an auction.
14. What does the woodcut make Patrick wonder about himself?
(a) Would he ever be able to take a hunting trip to Canada?
(b) Was he coded, like other males, to hunt and kill?
(c) Why did the man in the picture look like him?
(d) Was he no different than any other human being?
15. What is meant by Pinch's laser-ray?
(a) It is a toy Patrick was given at Christmas a long time ago.
(b) The nasty look he gives before he gets angry.
(c) It is a joking term Judd uses for Patrick's glasses.
(d) The way Patrick squints because his left eye is so weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question that might have been raised about Marianne's phone call for a ride home the day after the Valentine's Dance?
2. Why is Della Rae considered a "dirty girl"?
3. What is the name of Corrine Mulvaney's shop?
4. In the chapter, "The Assault," why does Michael Mulvaney go to Mort Lundt's house?
5. Who starts calling Mike Jr. "Mule"?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)