|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Marianne disturbed about "Feathers", their bird?
(a) She wants Feathers for her own.
(b) She thinks birds spread germs.
(c) She doesn't like the bird being loose.
(d) She doesn't think it should be in a cage.
2. What does Michael do for what seems no apparent reason while at the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
(a) He gets up and sings "Yankee Doodle."
(b) He gets so drunk he passes out.
(c) He throws the contents of his beer glass in Judge Gerald Kirkland's face.
(d) He tears up his membership card and throws it at the club president.
3. What does Judd say about the newspaper where he is editor?
(a) It is a great place to get his start before moving on to a larger newspaper.
(b) It is a good, decent, truth-telling paper.
(c) It is the best newspaper in the county.
(d) It is the only newspaper in town.
4. How does Corrine feel about the Mt. Ephraim Country Club?
(a) She loves going there.
(b) It is too rich for their blood.
(c) She wants to join.
(d) It makes her uneasy, resentful, and angry.
5. How does Corrine feel about telling Michael about their daughter's rape?
(a) She wishes he would never have to know.
(b) She fears his anger at the bad news.
(c) She decides not to tell him.
(d) She suspects he will blame her.
6. What does Patrick need Judd to do to help him follow through with his plan?
(a) Get some guns from their gun cabinet.
(b) Get some fertilizer from the barn.
(c) Get a pistol from the nightstand beside their father's bed.
(d) Create an alibi for him.
7. What statement does Marianne keep making about the night she was raped?
(a) She admits she was drinking.
(b) She doesn't want to falsely accuse anyone.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) She insists she can't remember.
8. How old is Judd when Patrick makes his request?
9. What is Judd thinking as he listens to his heartbeat?
(a) That he had a loud heartbeat.
(b) That he wanted to be a doctor someday.
(c) Every heatbeat is past and gone.
(d) That he had a strong heartbeat.
10. What does Mike Jr. do after a fight with his father?
(a) He runs away from home.
(b) He goes looking for Marianne.
(c) He beats up his father.
(d) He joins the Marines.
11. When do Corrine and Michael first meet?
12. Who is Jill James?
(a) Marianne's best friend.
(b) Marianne's homeroom teacher.
(c) A friend of Corrine's from high school.
(d) The therapist Marianne is sent to see.
13. How is Michael Sr. greeted when he enters the Yankee Doodle Tap Room?
(a) His old friends say hello and even strangers nod.
(b) The bartender tells him that he isn't welcome there anymore.
(c) A few men nod, but most people try to ignore him.
(d) One person pats him on the back and asks how Corrine is.
14. What words does Michael say at Schroon Lake that Corrine remembers twenty-four years later as she sits in Dr. Oakley's office?
(a) "Let's elope."
(b) "Love me! I'm more than enough."
(c) "Marry me. I'll love you forever."
(d) "Stay with me forever."
15. What does Judd say of his parents' relationship before things changed?
(a) Michael and Corrine fought a lot.
(b) Michael and Corrine were romantic.
(c) Michael and Corrine were indifferent to each other.
(d) Michael and Corrine liked to play jokes on each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael say about Corrine's appearance?
2. What is the name of Marianne's horse?
3. What happens when Judd asks his mother if Marianne is sick?
4. Where does Corrine learn her husband has been spending time?
5. When Corrine and Judd visit Marianne what does the Co-Op Director, Abelove, say that upsets Corrine?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)