|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28 when Cadence does not want to go to New Clairmont, what does her mother offer her?
2. What color patchwork quilt is on Cadence's bed at Windemere?
3. In Chapter 28, what type of paper does Cadence remember she and Gat becoming obsessed with several summers ago?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 36, what does Cadence do with Johnny, Mirren, and Gat?
5. In Chapter 38, what is Cadence doing with Mirren, Johnny, and Gat at midnight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cadence's family deal with loss, like having her grandmother die or her father leave?
2. In Chapter 6, why does Cadence tear all the roses off a single bush and throw them into the sea?
3. In Chapter 14, what does Cadence's father decide they should do together?
4. In Chapter 7, who is Gat's girlfriend?
5. When Taft calls Cadence in Chapter 22, what does he want to do when Cadence comes and what does Cadence tell him?
6. What is Cadence's room like in Chapter 21?
7. In Chapter 2, how does Cadence describe herself?
8. In Chapter 13, what issues is Cadence having after her accident?
9. In Chapter 12, what does Cadence say about her accident?
10. In Chapter 1, how does Cadence describe the Sinclairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Sinclairs all have their own private ways of dealing with grief. What are the family grieving for? How is their grief for Tipper and for the cousins and Gat different? How do the various characters—Cadence, her aunts, her grandfather, and her younger cousins—deal with grief? Is the way that they are coping healthy or unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Cadence has a very close relationship with Johnny, Mirren, and Gat. What type of relationship do they have on the island? How does their relationship change when they are away from the island? What do those silences reveal about their relationship? How would you describe the relationship between the four teens?
Essay Topic 3
Cadence is very immature and selfish at the beginning of the novel. In what ways is Cadence immature and selfish? How do her returning memories change her? What events and realizations help her grow and mature?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)