|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, when did Cadence go swimming at the beach alone?
2. What does Cadence's mother give her for breakfast in Chapter 30?
3. What does Gat do at the end of Chapter 32?
4. At the end of Chapter 33, what does Cadence's grandfather say he is supposed to give Gat?
5. What color patchwork quilt is on Cadence's bed at Windemere?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cadence describe going to school in Chapter 15?
2. How does Cadence describe her Aunt Bess in Chapter 24?
3. In Chapter 23, what is different about Clairmont?
4. What project does Cadence start in Chapter 17, and how does she carry out her project?
5. In Chapter 13, what issues is Cadence having after her accident?
6. In Chapter 38, what mottoes do Cadence, Mirren, Gat, and Johnny have?
7. In Chapter 1, how does Cadence describe the Sinclairs?
8. In Chapter 20, what plans are made for Cadence's summer vacation?
9. In Chapter 32, what does Johnny want to own?
10. In Chapter 12, what does Cadence say about her accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cadence tries to persuade her grandfather to sell his ivory statues and give the money to a wildlife cause. What do the statues represent to Harris? What do they reveal about his character? How do they show the things that have been important to him in life?
Essay Topic 2
Cadence is very immature and selfish at the beginning of the novel. In what ways is Cadence immature and selfish? How do her returning memories change her? What events and realizations help her grow and mature?
Essay Topic 3
It is apparent that a tragedy has occurred in the Sinclair family. What is the overall mood of the novel? Does the mood change as Cadence begins to remember summer 15? What is the overall mood in the book?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)