|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stepan, what does dying of "ceaseless toil" mean?
2. Why does Vasili say he always wanted a son?
3. Why does Kira find it hard to be in the same room with Leo?
4. Who does Victor marry?
5. Where does Kira tell Leo the money came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kira's influence over Andrei shown during the report on the agrarian situation?
2. What makes Leo's illness particularly frightening for Kira?
3. What happens between Stepan and Karp at a club?
4. What happens when Kira watches a building under construction?
5. What happens when Kira comes home after Victor's wedding party?
6. How does Kira and Andrei's relationship change the night he confesses why he had to stop seeing her?
7. Why does Victor feel that he cannot get ahead in the Communist Party?
8. How does Andrei treat Kira in Part Two, Chapters 1 - 4?
9. What happens to Kira at the House of Peasants that worries her?
10. What happens with the wedding present Leo bought for Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pavel plays an important role in the lives of other characters in "We the Living". Examine his role in the lives of at least three other characters. Does he influence any of their decisions? Does he help them? Does he harm them? What impact does he have in their lives? What would be different if Pavel were not in this novel? What does Pavel represent to these characters and to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Alexander and Galina respond to the many changes of this novel in their own way. How do they adapt to the move in and out of hiding, the new government, new jobs, and changes to their family structure? Reflect on how each character's ideals and beliefs change, or remain unchanged, in response to these new situations.
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of "We the Living", Kira tries to escape. Who else tries to escape in this novel? Describe their attempts and outcomes. Why does each character try to escape? What does their escape and outcome represent?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)