|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kira respond to the mandatory excursion guides' meeting?
2. What does Irina fear will happen to Sasha?
3. Who does Leo meet in the sanatorium?
4. Why is a Communist officer part of the food store plan?
5. What does Kira tell Andrei after Leo's arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira respond to Andrei's investigation of the food store?
2. What happens between Stepan and Karp at a club?
3. What does Katia tell Sasha one evening after Irina says she fears he will be exiled?
4. Why do students have to fill out questionnaires?
5. How is Kira's influence over Andrei shown during the report on the agrarian situation?
6. How does Andrei treat Kira in Part Two, Chapters 1 - 4?
7. Why does Andrei say Kira cannot return his love?
8. What makes Leo's illness particularly frightening for Kira?
9. Why has Stepan lost faith in the revolution/Communism?
10. What makes Vasili connect with Glieb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo is one of the most dynamic characters in "We the Living". Consider Leo's life in terms of the following: his family history, his relationship with Kira, his relationship with women, and his desire to get ahead in life. Is Leo tragic?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different relationships in "We the Living": family, romantic, intimate, co-worker... Choose one type of relationship and describe the different ways characters act and respond to that relationship. What are the best parts? What parts are flawed? What characters succeed because of the relationship? What characters fail? What is Ayn Rand saying about that type of relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What does "We the Living" as a title mean? Think about the implications of "we" and "living". What does "we" mean in this novel? What does "living" mean? How are each represented and reflected on by the author and the characters?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)