|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors tell Leo?
2. Why is Kira late coming home from work the day Vava was in Leo's room?
3. Who is education "for" in the USSR?
4. What does Andrei confess he is worried about when Kira pretends to attend a meeting, but visits him instead?
5. Who discovers that he is the father of Sonia's unborn child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Leo's partners in the food store feel about him?
2. What happens between Stepan and Karp at a club?
3. How does Pavel show disrespect for people when he returns from lunch with Morozov?
4. What happens to Kira at the House of Peasants that worries her?
5. How is Kira's influence over Andrei shown during the report on the agrarian situation?
6. Why does Victor feel that he cannot get ahead in the Communist Party?
7. Why do students have to fill out questionnaires?
8. What is the food store?
9. What makes Vasili connect with Glieb?
10. Why has Stepan lost faith in the revolution/Communism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo is one of the most dynamic characters in "We the Living". Consider Leo's life in terms of the following: his family history, his relationship with Kira, his relationship with women, and his desire to get ahead in life. Is Leo tragic?
Essay Topic 2
Victor works hard to succeed in the Communist Party. Trace his steps and the impact his rise has on the people around him. What does Victor represent in Communism? What does his character help to reveal about Communism?
Essay Topic 3
The Communist Party takes part in several "purges" in "We the Living". What does the word "purge" mean? What emotions are reflected in the word? Describe the purges and the outcomes. What is the implication of a purge? Can a society truly purge itself? Is it better to try to purge, or just accept? Use examples from the novel to support your opinion.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)