|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "hard legacy" Stepan leaves Andrei?
2. Why does Andrei tell Kira he had to stop seeing her?
3. Who does Leo meet in the sanatorium?
4. Why does Kira find it hard to be in the same room with Leo?
5. What does Vasili try to do after he is released from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kira and Andrei's relationship change the night he confesses why he had to stop seeing her?
2. How does Kira respond to Andrei's investigation of the food store?
3. What happens when Kira watches a building under construction?
4. How do Leo's partners in the food store feel about him?
5. Why does Victor feel that he cannot get ahead in the Communist Party?
6. What makes Leo's illness particularly frightening for Kira?
7. What happens to Karp and Pavel in regards to the food store investigation?
8. Why has Stepan lost faith in the revolution/Communism?
9. Why does Andrei say Kira cannot return his love?
10. How does Andrei treat Kira in Part Two, Chapters 1 - 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the conclusion of "We the Living", Kira tries to escape. Who else tries to escape in this novel? Describe their attempts and outcomes. Why does each character try to escape? What does their escape and outcome represent?
Essay Topic 2
Leo is one of the most dynamic characters in "We the Living". Consider Leo's life in terms of the following: his family history, his relationship with Kira, his relationship with women, and his desire to get ahead in life. Is Leo tragic?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Leo and Andrei as suitors for Kira. Consider them in terms of: emotions, actions, position in society, opinion, and relationships with others. Who do you think is best for Kira, and why?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)