|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they have nothing for a future?
2. Who is Tonia?
3. Who questions Andrei's right to have an opinion of his own?
4. Who joins the Communist Party?
5. What does Kira point out about her presence in Andrei's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrei say Kira cannot return his love?
2. What does Kira reveal to Andrei about the night he said he loved her?
3. How does Pavel show disrespect for people when he returns from lunch with Morozov?
4. How is Kira's influence over Andrei shown during the report on the agrarian situation?
5. What happens with the wedding present Leo bought for Victor?
6. Why does Leo refer to himself as a "gigolo"?
7. What happens to Karp and Pavel in regards to the food store investigation?
8. How do Leo's partners in the food store feel about him?
9. How does Andrei treat Kira in Part Two, Chapters 1 - 4?
10. How does Kira respond to Andrei's investigation of the food store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Leo and Andrei as suitors for Kira. Consider them in terms of: emotions, actions, position in society, opinion, and relationships with others. Who do you think is best for Kira, and why?
Essay Topic 2
At the conclusion of "We the Living", Kira tries to escape. Who else tries to escape in this novel? Describe their attempts and outcomes. Why does each character try to escape? What does their escape and outcome represent?
Essay Topic 3
Many objects are symbolic of the major themes in "We the Living". Choose at least three symbolic objects and describe what they represent, and how they are representative in the novel. Consider the impact on the characters as well as the reader.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)