|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kira and Lydia go together with Andrei?
2. What happens to Lenin in the spring of 1923?
3. What happens to Russia?
4. How does Galina react to the new apartment?
5. How does Kira try to have Marisha thrown out of the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sets Kira apart as an individual?
2. What happens between Kira and the British woman?
3. Why does Kira think that returning to Petrograd is the start of something wonderful?
4. Why does Kira's sister say that Kira always gets her way?
5. How does Kira's family respond to her goal of becoming an engineer?
6. How does Kira feel toward Victor and his advances?
7. Why are Alexander and Vasili reluctant to join the Communist Party?
8. How does Stepan help Leo and Kira after he barges into their cabin?
9. What does Kira pretending to be a prostitute reveal about her?
10. How might Kira's family feel in the first three chapters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in "We the Living" hold a variety of jobs. Choose four characters, and compare and contrast their jobs. Reflect on the value society has for these jobs, the actual work involved, the possibility for advancement, and how the job would be different if Russia were not Communist.
Essay Topic 2
"We the Living" takes place in several different locations. Analyze how location affects the characters and their actions. Please review at least three locations and/or settings.
Essay Topic 3
Using details from the novel, describe what you think Russia would look like if it were NOT a Communist country. How would Kira's ideals translate into a government? What would daily life be like? How would this differ from the Russia of "We the Living"?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)