|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrei ask Kira after meeting her at the rally?
2. Where does Leo end up working after he starts going to the University?
3. What does Leo tell Stepan?
4. How are Vasili and Alexander similar before the revolution?
5. Who says that Kira is "selfish" and "anti-social"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Alexander and Vasili reluctant to join the Communist Party?
2. Why does Kira fear for Leo's safety after their second meeting?
3. What is interesting about Kira and Andrei's relationship?
4. In what ways does Kira fail to follow the dictates of society?
5. What is contradictory about Kira declaring her devotion to Leo?
6. What happens when Alexander closes his textile shop?
7. Why does Leo feel there is much against him and Kira?
8. What does Kira forget to do because she is too busy thinking about Leo?
9. Why does Kira have Andrei drop her off near her parents' apartment?
10. Why does Maria hide her handkerchiefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Andrei change during "We the Living"? Comment on his ideals, personality, emotions, etc. Please describe the events or people that contribute to Andrei's changes as well.
Essay Topic 2
Victor works hard to succeed in the Communist Party. Trace his steps and the impact his rise has on the people around him. What does Victor represent in Communism? What does his character help to reveal about Communism?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the many romantic relationships at play in "We the Living". Compare and contrast three of these relationships. What is each member's purpose in the relationship? Is the relationship a success or a failure? What impact does the relationship have on others? What does each relationship reflect about life in Russia at this time?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)