|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrei ask Kira when he gives her a nightgown?
(a) Andrei asks Kira to lie for him.
(b) Andrei asks Kira to leave Leo.
(c) Andrei asks Kira to marry him and move from Russia.
(d) Andrei asks Kira to help hide him from the Communist Party.
2. Who does Leo meet in the sanatorium?
(a) A wealthy woman.
(b) A young woman.
(c) His long-lost aunt.
(d) A priest.
3. Who does Victor marry?
4. Why does the clerk at the food store feel they won't lose their job?
(a) Because Andrei promised them protection.
(b) Because they are a member of the Communist Party.
(c) Because Leo won't do the clerking.
(d) Because business is good.
5. Victor's engineering degree and marriage should help him with what?
(a) Becoming closer to his family.
(b) Feeling more successful than Kira.
(c) Getting a better position in the Communist Party.
(d) Getting a loan for a bigger house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kira at the House of Peasants?
2. Who does Pavel go after for his share of the money?
3. Why does Victor feel he might get a better job?
4. How does Leo feel about Tonia?
5. Why does Kira chase after the train Leo is in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Vasili connect with Glieb?
2. What does Katia tell Sasha one evening after Irina says she fears he will be exiled?
3. Why does Victor feel that he cannot get ahead in the Communist Party?
4. How do Leo's partners in the food store feel about him?
5. What is the food store?
6. What steps does Kira take to try to send Leo to a sanatorium?
7. What happens between Stepan and Karp at a club?
8. What happens when Kira comes home after Victor's wedding party?
9. What makes Leo's illness particularly frightening for Kira?
10. What happens when Kira watches a building under construction?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)