|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it in the beginning of this book?
2. What happens to Alexander's business?
(a) He has to put it on "hold".
(b) It fails.
(c) It makes enough money to survive.
(d) It makes only a little money.
3. Who gets elected to a position at the rally Kira attends?
4. What is Leo not allowed to see Kira do?
(b) Get dressed.
5. Who owns a factory before the revolution?
(d) Distant relatives of Kira.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kira serves only bread and onions for supper, what does she say?
2. Why does Leo get fired from his teaching job?
3. What does Victor study?
4. Who asks a clerk for an extra week's ration card?
5. What feeling does Kira worship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kira pretending to be a prostitute reveal about her?
2. How might Kira's family feel in the first three chapters?
3. Why does Victor say that Kira's wish to become an engineer is inappropriate?
4. What is contradictory about Kira declaring her devotion to Leo?
5. What is dishonest about the method that Galina and Kira's family use for packing saccharine tablets and crystals for resale?
6. How does Kira feel toward Victor and his advances?
7. Why are Alexander and Vasili reluctant to join the Communist Party?
8. What happens to Leo's father's apartment?
9. Why does Kira fear for Leo's safety after their second meeting?
10. What is Kira's work environment like at the House of the Peasant?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)