|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Leo and Kira often escape?
(a) Leo's father's apartment.
(c) The country.
2. What does Kira enroll as when she fills out her labor card?
(a) A visitor.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A laborer.
(d) A student.
3. Who tells Kira to "get her claws" into Leo?
4. When Kira serves only bread and onions for supper, what does she say?
(a) That she was too tired to cook.
(b) That Leo needs to get more food off the black market.
(c) That she actually really likes fried onions.
(d) That she already ate her portion.
5. What does Leo tell Stepan?
(a) That he will sign any confession.
(b) That he was traveling alone.
(c) That he is hungry.
(d) That he is sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Galina react to the new apartment?
2. How is Kira's family surviving financially?
3. What scares Kira away from buying food on the black market?
4. What does Kira send home to her family in the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. Where does Leo say he is going the night Kira finds out she won't be questioned any further?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leo refer to himself as a "gigolo"?
2. What happens between Stepan and Karp at a club?
3. How do Leo's partners in the food store feel about him?
4. What is the food store?
5. Why does Maria hide her handkerchiefs?
6. How is Kira's influence over Andrei shown during the report on the agrarian situation?
7. How does Kira prepare to escape?
8. What does Kira reveal to Andrei about the night he said he loved her?
9. What is contradictory about Kira declaring her devotion to Leo?
10. What makes Leo's illness particularly frightening for Kira?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)