|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrei ask Kira after meeting her at the rally?
(a) He asks her to leave him alone.
(b) He asks her to the opera.
(c) He asks her out for coffee.
(d) He asks her to stop talking about Communism.
2. What does Kira enroll as when she fills out her labor card?
(a) A student.
(b) An engineer.
(c) A visitor.
(d) A laborer.
3. What happens when Kira meets Leo for the second time?
(a) They declare their love for each other.
(b) They argue.
(c) They agree to meet again a third time in a month.
(d) They get arrested.
4. How is Kira's family surviving financially?
(a) The textile store.
(b) Selling their ration cards.
(c) They are living off of their savings.
(d) The soap business.
5. What is the apartment Kira's family moves into like?
(a) Large but dark.
(b) Small but sunny.
(c) Small and dismal.
(d) Larger than they expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira find to be "ignoble"?
2. Where do Leo and Kira often escape?
3. When Kira and Leo discuss their future, what do they talk about?
4. What does Kira say she wants to do with her life?
5. What is Leo not allowed to see Kira do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men who shovel snow reveal about Communism?
2. In what ways does Kira fail to follow the dictates of society?
3. Why does Kira have Andrei drop her off near her parents' apartment?
4. How might Kira's family feel in the first three chapters?
5. What does Kira pretending to be a prostitute reveal about her?
6. What is interesting about Kira and Andrei's relationship?
7. Why does Victor say that Kira's wish to become an engineer is inappropriate?
8. Why does Maria hide her handkerchiefs?
9. How are Sonia and Kira different?
10. How does Kira's family respond to her goal of becoming an engineer?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)