|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vasili say he always wanted a son?
(a) Because he had to pass on the business.
(b) Because there were too many women.
(c) Because he wanted to pass on his name.
(d) Because he can completely trust a son.
2. Who tells Leo about their idea for a food store?
3. What does Kira ask Leo to do after his night at the casino?
(a) Kira asks Leo to leave Russia with her.
(b) Kira asks Leo not to go out with Tonia again.
(c) Kira asks Leo to give the money to Pavel.
(d) Kira asks Leo to stop the food store business.
4. How does Andrei describe Kira's feelings for him the night they go to the club?
(a) He says it is impossible.
(b) He says he isn't surprised.
(c) He says he is disappointed.
(d) He says it is great.
5. What does the G.P.U. offer Andrei when they ask him to drop his investigation of the food store?
(a) A promotion to a different department.
(c) A promotion or to be kicked out of the party.
6. According to Stepan, what does dying of "ceaseless toil" mean?
(a) Secret murder.
7. Who does Victor marry?
8. What does Kira tell Andrei after Leo's arrest?
(a) Kira tells Andrei to take her home.
(b) Kira tells Andrei that she loves him.
(c) Kira tells Andrei that she "sold" herself to him.
(d) Kira tells Andrei she wants to join the Communist Party.
9. Who will likely be a victim if the Communist Party purges itself after the investigation of the food store?
10. Who does Irina say is trying to be "broadminded" when it comes to Victor's political choices?
(a) Her father.
(d) Her uncle.
11. What happens to Kira at the Institute?
(a) She wins an award.
(b) She graduates.
(c) She gets expelled.
(d) She stops going to class.
12. Why is Leo likely to be the only one to stand trial after the investigation in the food store?
(a) Because Pavel is bringing him to trial.
(b) Because it is registered in his name.
(c) Because Andrei wanted it that way.
(d) Because he doesn't have any good connections.
13. Who does Pavel go after for his share of the money?
14. How does Tonia describe her relationship with the food store?
(a) She says she helped fund the store.
(b) She says she knows nothing of it.
(c) She says she is a full partner.
(d) She says she owns her own food store.
15. Why does Kira wear old clothes to work?
(a) Because she likes them.
(b) Because she doesn't have money for new ones.
(c) Because it keeps up the appearance that she needs her job.
(d) Because Leo won't buy her new ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonia's relationship to Leo as of Chapter 13?
2. Why is a Communist officer part of the food store plan?
3. What does Leo buy for Victor's wedding?
4. Who leads the group of soldiers into Leo's apartment?
5. Why does Kira chase after the train Leo is in?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)