|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scares Kira away from buying food on the black market?
(a) A group of soldiers who were following her.
(b) Leo's scolding words.
(c) A man with a gun hidden in his jacket.
(d) Seeing an old woman being revealed and arrested.
2. Why does Kira's family travel on the "threshold of a box car"?
(a) Because they were late arriving to the station.
(b) Because it was cheaper.
(c) Because it was the newest way to travel.
(d) Because there were not enough seats in the passenger cars.
3. Where does Kira's family stay in the city?
(a) At their old house.
(b) With Kira's aunt.
(c) At a boarding house.
(d) With Kira's older brother.
4. What does Andrei ask Kira after meeting her at the rally?
(a) He asks her out for coffee.
(b) He asks her to leave him alone.
(c) He asks her to stop talking about Communism.
(d) He asks her to the opera.
5. What political party is in command of Russia?
(a) The Revolutionaries.
(b) The Communist Party.
(c) The sides are still at war.
(d) The White Party.
6. How does Lydia respond when Andrei asks her to play the piano?
(a) She plays the song for him again.
(b) She says she is tired.
(c) She tells him no.
(d) She tells him she wants him to play.
7. Why does Kira pretend to be a prostitute?
(a) She wants to get a reaction out of people.
(b) She is trying to avoid arrest.
(c) She wants to stay with Leo.
(d) She wants to earn extra money.
8. How old is Kira?
9. How does Galina react to the new apartment?
(a) She says it can be made into a home.
(b) She does not like the color.
(c) She is surprisingly pleased with it.
(d) She says she feels overwhelmed.
10. What does Kira find to be "ignoble"?
(a) Dancing girls.
(b) Entertainment and joy.
(c) Work and effort.
11. Why does Leo get fired from his teaching job?
(a) He does not show up on time.
(b) He refuses to work for free.
(c) He teaches anti-Communist lessons.
(d) He does not know what he is teaching.
12. What happens at the rally Kira attends?
(a) People rally for more food.
(b) People celebrate their history.
(c) People are elected to positions in the government.
(d) People protest the revolution.
13. Who is not paid for their labor?
(a) The men who shovel snow.
(b) The men who work as guards.
(c) The Communist officers.
14. Who owns a factory before the revolution?
(d) Distant relatives of Kira.
15. What of Kira's family's possessions is left?
(a) Lydia's piano.
(b) Galina's jewlery.
(d) A little bit of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sonia tell Kira how to do?
2. When Kira serves only bread and onions for supper, what does she say?
3. Who does Kira go to the ballet with?
4. Where do Kira and Lydia go together with Andrei?
5. How do Kira and Leo travel?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)