|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Russia?
(a) It gains power over Europe.
(b) It becomes the USSR.
(c) It dissolves.
(d) Lenin dies.
2. What scares Kira away from buying food on the black market?
(a) Leo's scolding words.
(b) A group of soldiers who were following her.
(c) Seeing an old woman being revealed and arrested.
(d) A man with a gun hidden in his jacket.
3. Where does Kira's family stay in the city?
(a) At a boarding house.
(b) With Kira's older brother.
(c) At their old house.
(d) With Kira's aunt.
4. Who says "easier to get one--than two--out of the G.P.U."?
5. Why do Kira and her family flee?
(d) Lack of jobs.
6. How does Kira describe the way she responds to the feelings she has had throughout her life?
(a) She finds them to control her and she sometimes disagrees with them.
(b) She doesn't know what prompts them and can't identify them.
(c) She doesn't share them with strangers, only with close friends.
(d) She hides her truest feelings even from herself.
7. What is the relationship between Victor and Kira?
(a) Brother and sister.
(c) Father and daughter.
8. Why does Kira stay away from her and Leo's garden meeting place?
(a) She does not want to see it without him.
(b) She promised not to return there.
(c) She is angry at Leo.
(d) She fears she might see him with someone else.
9. How does Kira try to have Marisha thrown out of the apartment?
(a) Kira gives money to the Upravdom.
(b) Kira hides her Communist Union of Youth card.
(c) Kira tricks Marisha.
(d) Kira asks Leo to put her stuff on the street.
10. Why does Kira not pick up her student rations one night?
(a) She is angry with her family.
(b) She has no way to pick them up.
(c) Someone else took her ration.
(d) She is busy thinking of Leo.
11. Where does the black market form?
(b) Alexander's textile shop.
(c) The railway station.
(d) The capitol.
12. Why does Leo get fired from his teaching job?
(a) He teaches anti-Communist lessons.
(b) He does not know what he is teaching.
(c) He refuses to work for free.
(d) He does not show up on time.
13. What does Kira say she wants to do with her life?
(a) Go to art school.
(b) Become a dancer.
(c) Become an engineer.
(d) Kira hasn't decided yet.
14. Maria and Vasili's family can best be described as ______?
(a) Government officials.
(c) Struggling financially.
15. Why do people leave Vava's in groups?
(a) Because they might get lost.
(b) Because the streets were not safe.
(c) Because they were great friends.
(d) Because Vava forced them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kira feel about their return to the city?
2. When Kira serves only bread and onions for supper, what does she say?
3. Where do Kira and Lydia go together with Andrei?
4. What does Kira observe happening to her father?
5. How does Kira's father get the apartment?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)