Part One: Chapters I through III
• 18-year-old Kira Argounova and her family arrive at Petrograd in 1922 following the Communist Revolution.
• Kira and her family stay with her uncle Vasili, who also refuses to join in the revolution.
• Kira wants to study engineering. Her cousin Victor is also studying engineering.
• Kira's family does not approve of her desire to study engineering.
• Kira describes herself as "worshipping" joy.
Part One: Chapters IV through VII
• Kira and her family move into their own apartment.
• Victor shows romantic interest in Kira, but she turns him down.
• Kira meets a man in the park. His name is Leo, and they agree to meet a month later.
• Kira attends a Communist student demonstration where she meets a man named Andrei. They go to the opera together.
• Kira's father closes his store and begins making soap.
Part One: Chapters VIII through XI
• A man named...
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)