|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the grocery store manager where Darling works in "My America"?
2. Which of her friends does Darling say taught her to wear makeup and has a weave in “This Film Contains Some Disturbing Images”?
3. Who worked the fields of Botswana for nine months in order to emigrate from his home country?
4. Whom does Prophet Revelations Bitchington Mborro compare the bereaved to in "For Real"?
5. What does Darling say the last book she read was in “Hitting Crossroads"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tshaka Zulu and how is his character introduced?
2. What happens in the exchange between Darling and Chipo in "Writing on the Wall"?
3. Whose car have Darling and her friends taken in “Hitting Crossroads"? Why?
4. What is the relationship between the groom and Aunt Fostalina in "Wedding"?
5. How does the narrative style of the novel change in "How They Left"?
6. Where are Darling and her family going to attend a wedding in "Wedding"? How is this setting described?
7. How would you describe the household where Darling works as a housecleaner in "My America"?
8. How is the bride described in "Wedding"?
9. How does the narrative style in “How They Lived” stand apart from the other chapters in the novel?
10. What is illuminated through Darling's conversation with the white woman in the restroom in "Wedding"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motifs of religion, spirituality, and superstition in the novel. How would you compare the religious beliefs of Mother of Bones to those of Aunt Fostalina or Darling? What are examples in the text of rituals performed for superstitious reasons?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Godknows, Stina, and Bastard in the narrative. How old are these characters when they are introduced? How are they different from one another? What are their relationships like with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Darling's experiences in the white couple's house in "Blak Power." Who are the militant rebels that have destroyed the house and taken its owners hostage? Why have they done this? What observations do Darling and her friends make when they explore the house?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)