|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Darling begin working at a housecleaner in "My America"?
2. What is the name of the kid who got school closed down on the last day in “Hitting Crossroads"?
3. Where does Aunt Fostalina go after hanging up the phone with the saleswoman in "Angel"?
4. Who does Tshaka Zulu attack with a spear in "My America"?
5. Who is Marina's next-door neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrative style of the novel change in "How They Left"?
2. How is the character of Marina described in the novel?
3. How would you describe the household where Darling works as a housecleaner in "My America"?
4. How is the bride described in "Wedding"?
5. How does the narrator describe the isolation of immigrants in "How They Left"?
6. For what reasons does Darling discover she cannot visit home in "Angel"?
7. How would you describe the communications between Darling and her friends back home in "Angel"?
8. How does Darling describe her impressions of America in “Destroyedmichygen”?
9. Whose car have Darling and her friends taken in “Hitting Crossroads"? Why?
10. How would you describe the relationship between Darling and the grocery manager Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of We Need New Names. From whose perspective is the story related? How does the narrative style transition in the different chapters? Which chapters step away from the main narrative and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the games of pretend that Darling and her friends in Paradise play in the narrative. What is the symbolic significance of these games? What are the objectives of each of the games? How do the BBC reporters respond when they observe Darling and her friends playing a game in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
What are Darling's impressions of her cousin TK? How old is TK when Darling comes to live with him? What does TK busy himself with doing all of the time? How does TK's language style differ from Darling's?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)