|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Aunt Fostalina's two jobs?
2. What is Tshaka Zulu's short stabbing spear called?
3. What is the name of Darling's uncle with whom she lives in "Destroyedmichygen"?
4. What does Darling describe Aunt Fostalina doing while watching TV in "Destroyedmichygen"?
5. Who is the cousin that Darling describes living with in "Destroyedmichygen"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Marina described in the novel?
2. What does Aunt Fostalina try to order in "Angel"? Why does she become frustrated?
3. How would you describe the communications between Darling and her friends back home in "Angel"?
4. Whose funeral is observed by Darling and her friends in "For Real"? Why is the funeral significant?
5. How would you describe the household where Darling works as a housecleaner in "My America"?
6. Where are Darling and her family going to attend a wedding in "Wedding"? How is this setting described?
7. What happens in the exchange between Darling and Chipo in "Writing on the Wall"?
8. Who is Tshaka Zulu and how is his character introduced?
9. How would you describe Darling's circumstances in "My America"?
10. How is the bride described in "Wedding"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Darling's experiences in the white couple's house in "Blak Power." Who are the militant rebels that have destroyed the house and taken its owners hostage? Why have they done this? What observations do Darling and her friends make when they explore the house?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Godknows, Stina, and Bastard in the narrative. How old are these characters when they are introduced? How are they different from one another? What are their relationships like with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of disillusionment and alienation in We Need New Names. How does Darling demonstrate her feelings of isolation after immigrating to the U.S.? How does the author illustrate these themes through character, setting, and relationships? What symbolism relates to these themes?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)