|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Darling and her friends find guavas to harvest in "Blak Power"?
2. What is printed on the floor mat to the white people's house in "Blak Power"?
3. What does Darling describe Stina's fortune cookie saying in "Country-Game"?
4. What does Darling claim the women of the village are always busy with in "Hitting Budapest"?
5. How old is Godknows in "Hitting Budapest"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed regarding Chipo's circumstances in "Hitting Budapest"?
2. What is ironic about the development that is being erected in “Country-Game”?
3. What happens when the white couple comes to the door in "Blak Power"?
4. What is the objective of Darling and her friends in going to Shanghai? Do they achieve their objective?
5. What happens when the lorries from NGO arrive in “Country-Game”?
6. What do the children observe at the overseer's tent when they arrive in “Country-Game”?
7. From whose perspective is the narrative of We Need New Names related? Why do you think the author has chosen this narrative style?
8. How did Darling's grandfather die? Why do the villagers believe there is a curse surrounding his death?
9. Why are people streaming into Paradise in "How They Appeared"?
10. How does MotherLove respond when she encounters Darling and her friends in "We Need New Names"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of We Need New Names. From whose perspective is the story related? How does the narrative style transition in the different chapters? Which chapters step away from the main narrative and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Darling's experiences in the white couple's house in "Blak Power." Who are the militant rebels that have destroyed the house and taken its owners hostage? Why have they done this? What observations do Darling and her friends make when they explore the house?
Essay Topic 3
What are Darling's impressions of her cousin TK? How old is TK when Darling comes to live with him? What does TK busy himself with doing all of the time? How does TK's language style differ from Darling's?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)