|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Darling's mother's name?
2. Where does Stina's uncle now live, according to the narrator in "Hitting Budapest"?
3. What road is Darling not supposed to cross with her friends in "Hitting Budapest"?
4. What does Darling's father call her when he arrives home?
5. What color uniforms do the Chinese men wear in Shanghai in "Country-Game"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is the protagonist when the novel begins? What is her family like?
2. How is the interior of the white couple's home described in "Blak Power"?
3. Where does Darling attend church services with Mother of Bones? How is this setting described?
4. What is revealed regarding Chipo's circumstances in "Hitting Budapest"?
5. What does Prophet Revelations Bitchington Mborro require to heal Darling's father?
6. How does MotherLove respond when she encounters Darling and her friends in "We Need New Names"?
7. What exchange takes place between Darling and the man on the phone in "Blak Power"?
8. How is the guard described that the children encounter in "Blak Power"?
9. Why does Mother of Bones count her money every morning? Why does she not use the money?
10. What happens when the white couple comes to the door in "Blak Power"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Darling's impressions of her cousin TK? How old is TK when Darling comes to live with him? What does TK busy himself with doing all of the time? How does TK's language style differ from Darling's?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the characters of Godknows, Stina, and Bastard in the narrative. How old are these characters when they are introduced? How are they different from one another? What are their relationships like with the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Darling as the novel's protagonist. How old is Darling when the novel begins? What are the circumstances of Darling's life like? How do Darling's circumstances change in the course of the novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)