|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Darling's father in "Darling on the Mountain"?
2. Where does Sbho say she saw the television show "ER" in "We Need New Names"?
3. How many faded suns are on the bedspread that Darling counts in "Darling on the Mountain"?
4. Where do Darling and her friends find guavas to harvest in "Blak Power"?
5. Why does Darling say that people believe she is possessed in "Darling on the Mountain"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What objective do Darling and her friends set out to achieve in "We Need New Names"? Do they achieve this objective?
2. How is the guard described that the children encounter in "Blak Power"?
3. How is Prophet Revelations Bitchington Mborro's character described?
4. What happens when the lorries from NGO arrive in “Country-Game”?
5. Who is Mother of Bones and why is Darling staying with her in "Darling on the Mountain"?
6. How is the setting of Paradise described? How many people live in this village?
7. How did Darling's grandfather die? Why do the villagers believe there is a curse surrounding his death?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the Lamborghini that appears in the novel?
9. Why does Mother of Bones count her money every morning? Why does she not use the money?
10. How do the children respond to the woman from London in "Hitting Budapest"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Darling's impressions of her cousin TK? How old is TK when Darling comes to live with him? What does TK busy himself with doing all of the time? How does TK's language style differ from Darling's?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the cahracter of Aunt Fostalina in We Need New Names. How old is Aunt Fostalina? Why does she bring Darling to live with her? What is Aunt Fostalina's relationship like with Uncle Kojo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Darling's family in the novel. What is Darling's relationship like with her mother? What is her relationship like with her father? How do these relationships evolve in the story?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)