|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Darling's cousin Madante go to work, according to the narrator in "Darling on the Mountain"?
(a) In the gold mines.
(b) In the coal mines.
(c) In the maize fields.
(d) In the diamond mines.
2. What is the first reason Darling says they have decided to get rid of Chipo's stomach in "We Need New Names"?
(a) "Her parents will kill her if they find out."
(b) "If we let her have the baby, she will just die."
(c) "It makes it hard for us to play."
(d) "She is sick."
3. What is the name of the black man who leads the marchers and addresses the white couple in "Blak Power"?
(a) Sekuru Tendai.
(b) Nosizi. Mgcini.
(d) Obey Marima.
4. The children place posters on every shack in the village except for whose in "Real Change"?
(b) Mother of Bones's.
5. What does Darling describe having done to the picture of Jesus on Mother Jones's calendar in "Darling on the Mountain"?
(a) She drew a cross over the face.
(b) She painted the eyes blue.
(c) She painted the eyes brown.
(d) She drew an X over the face.
6. Who is the "short, light-skinned girl who took over MaDumane's husband when MaDumane went to be a housemaid?
7. "How They Appeared" begins with the line, "They did not come to Paradise. Coming would mean that they were" what?
8. Who does the woman on the phone address after talking to Darling in "Blak Power"?
9. Who was Bastard's uncle working with in the mines that was shot by soldiers?
10. Where do Darling and her friends find guavas to harvest in "Blak Power"?
(a) On Robert Street.
(b) On Mzilikazi Road.
(c) On Julius Street.
(d) On Masiyephambili Road.
11. Why does Darling cross into Budapest in "Hitting Budapest"?
(a) To steal guavas.
(b) To buy candy.
(c) To play hide-and-seek.
(d) To fetch her sister.
12. What is the name of the mountain that Darling climbs to attend church in "Darling on the Mountain"?
13. What do the children discover in the bathroom of the white people's home in "Blak Power"?
(a) A dog that has been stabbed to death.
(b) The word "Murderer" written in feces on the mirror.
(c) A woman hanging from a rope.
(d) The words "Blak Power" written in feces on the mirror.
14. What does Darling describe Stina's fortune cookie saying in "Country-Game"?
(a) "Your talents will be recognized and suitably rewarded."
(b) "A pair of new shoes will do you a world of good."
(c) "If I bring forth what is inside me, what I bring forth will save me."
(d) "Your future will be happy and productive."
15. Who was coming to see Sbho's family but was stopped by a roadblock last week in "Blak Power"?
(a) Mother of Bones.
(c) Mr. Gono.
(d) Sekuru Tendai.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of NaBetina's grandson?
2. Who finds the rusted clothes hanger to use to remove Chipo's stomach in "We Need New Names"?
3. How do the children respond when Sbho asks in "Hitting Budapest," "Who discovered the way to India?"
4. Who discovers Darling and her friends when they are preparing to remove Chipo's stomach in "We Need New Names"?
5. Who was Stina's teacher when the children still went to school?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)