|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merricat break in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 9, what do the girls find lying just inside the drawing room door?
3. What does Merricat persuade Constance to take outside and add to the barricade?
4. What is the first thing Merricat does when she wakes up in the morning in Chapter 10?
5. Where does Merricat find Jonas sleeping in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charles say which causes Merricat to run away in Chapter 7?
2. After the fire, what does Merricat say are her new safeguards? Why does she think she needs new ones?
3. What does Constance apologize to Merricat about at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What does Charles discover hidden in Chapter 7? How does Merricat think he found it?
5. In Chapter 6, how does Merricat describe the way Charles has taken over her house?
6. After the fire, what do the sisters find to use for clothing?
7. How do the villagers act while the Blackwoods' house is burning? What does Charles do while the house is burning?
8. What do Constance and Merricat hear a woman tell some children in the Blackwood's yard?
9. What do the girls decide to do in honor of Uncle Julian in Chapter 9?
10. What claim does Julian make about Merricat in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Shirley Jackson. What other works has she received recognition for? Is her work usually similarly-themed? Does she always write in the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Constance and Merricat. How do these sisters get along? Discuss the dynamic of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of loyalty in the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is loyal to whom? In what way does Constance's loyalty to her sister negatively impact her life? Is the loyalty between Merricat and Constance swayed at any time?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)