|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say happened to Merricat at the orphanage?
2. What does Merricat tell Constance when she wakes up in Chapter 9?
3. Where does Merricat go when Charles leaves for the village?
4. Who killed the Blackwood family?
5. What does Merricat break in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the fire, what does Merricat say are her new safeguards? Why does she think she needs new ones?
2. After the fire, what do the sisters find to use for clothing?
3. In Chapter 6, what does Charles say when Merricat asks him to go away?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Merricat take from her father's room and why?
5. What do Constance and Merricat hear a woman tell some children in the Blackwood's yard?
6. What act commences the villagers' attack on the Blackwoods' house?
7. What finally gets the villagers to leave the Blackwoods' property?
8. What does Merricat imagine at the end of Chapter 7?
9. In Chapter 10, what does Merricat build to protect her and her sister? What item is brought from the house to add to it?
10. What does Merricat do when she peeks in at Charles's room in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the information given about the murders? How might they have taken place and why? In what manner does Jackson share the information about the murders? Is the identity of the murderer a surprise?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Jackson's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist? How do these characters affect the protagonist?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)