|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Merricat sometimes see on the Blackwood property?
2. Why does Constance say Helen cannot come for tea anymore?
3. What do Constance and Merricat fashion dresses out of?
4. What does Merricat break in Chapter 6?
5. What does Merricat tell Constance when she wakes up in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Merricat imagine at the end of Chapter 7?
2. What act commences the villagers' attack on the Blackwoods' house?
3. What does Charles say he wants to go through in Chapter 6? How does Julian react?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Merricat see and hear in the night from her hiding spot?
5. What does Charles say which causes Merricat to run away in Chapter 7?
6. In Chapter 7, what does Merricat decide to do on Thursday? What is special about Thursdays?
7. What does Merricat notice is different when she returns home in Chapter 8?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Merricat take from her father's room and why?
9. How do the villagers act while the Blackwoods' house is burning? What does Charles do while the house is burning?
10. In Chapter 10, what does Merricat build to protect her and her sister? What item is brought from the house to add to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel, Shirley Jackson. What other works has she received recognition for? Is her work usually similarly-themed? Does she always write in the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the protagonist? What is their role in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist? How do these characters affect the protagonist?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)