|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merricat use to barricade the sides of the house in Chapter 10?
2. What does Merricat bury by the creek in Chapter 10?
3. To what does Merricat liken Charles's scream in Chapter 8?
4. Who killed the Blackwood family?
5. What blocks the kitchen door when Constance and Merricat return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the fire, what does Merricat say are her new safeguards? Why does she think she needs new ones?
2. Faced with a ruined home, what do Constance and Merricat decide to do?
3. What finally gets the villagers to leave the Blackwoods' property?
4. What does Merricat do in order to get Charles to leave her house?
5. What does Merricat notice is different when she returns home in Chapter 8?
6. What does Constance apologize to Merricat about at the end of Chapter 9?
7. What claim does Julian make about Merricat in Chapter 7?
8. In Chapter 6, what does Charles say when Merricat asks him to go away?
9. Why does Charles come back to the Blackwood house?
10. What does Charles say which causes Merricat to run away in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Constance and Merricat. How do these sisters get along? Discuss the dynamic of their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Constance. What are her defining character traits? What is her role in the story? How is she related to the protagonist? Is she an important character?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret Jackson's use of ambiguity. What are some examples of ambiguity in the novel? What might the meaning be behind these examples of ambiguity?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)