|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julian working on in Chapter 5?
2. What do Constance's guests suggest she buy in Chapter 2?
3. How does Charles act toward Julian?
4. Besides the library, where did Mary Katherine usually stop when she went to the village?
5. In which month did Mary Katherine last go to the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Helen and Mrs. Wright encourage Constance to do in Chapter 2?
2. Who does Helen Clarke bring with her to the Blackwoods'? How do Merricat and Constance feel about having an extra guest?
3. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping in order to distract herself from the villagers?
4. How does Charles try to make conversation with Merricat in Chapter 5?
5. What kinds of things does Merricat say the people who would come to her house looking for Constance after the murders would do?
6. What does Julian ask Charles about at breakfast? How does Charles act toward Julian?
7. What does Merricat recite after Charles offers carry out her errands in the village?
8. What does Merricat say will remind her to be kind to Uncle Julian in Chapter 4?
9. How does Merricat describe her sense that something is going to change is Chapter 4?
10. Where does Merricat go in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts of the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts affect the plot and the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonist of the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist? How do these characters affect the protagonist?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)