|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the nicest home in the village?
2. In which month did Mary Katherine last go to the library?
3. What does Merricat do to make Charles go away in Chapter 5?
4. What does Julian say should have been poisoned with the arsenic?
5. What is the name of the man who comes to the house in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Merricat go in Chapter 4?
2. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping in order to distract herself from the villagers?
3. What does Mary Katherine wonder about the library books in Chapter 1?
4. What does Merricat say will remind her to be kind to Uncle Julian in Chapter 4?
5. Why has Charles never come to help the Blackwood sisters before?
6. Who comes to see Julian in Chapter 3? What does Constance do before his arrival?
7. Why does Julian say people should not be afraid to visit the Blackwood house?
8. What is the first thing Constance says in the book, and what is its significance?
9. What does Merricat blame for the arrival of Charles Blackwood?
10. What does Julian describe in detail in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the character Merricat. What are her defining character traits? Is she a reliable narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Constance's agoraphobia. How does it affect her life? How does it affect Merricat's life? What might be the cause of Constance's agoraphobia? What tone does this aspect of her character create?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts of the novel "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts affect the plot and the characters?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)