|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month did Mary Katherine last go to the library?
2. Which of the following is not one of Merricat's powerful words?
3. How does Stella treat Mary Katherine?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 4?
5. What does Merricat hope would happen to the people who come to her house uninvited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping in order to distract herself from the villagers?
2. How does Stella act around Mary Katherine in Chapter 1?
3. What does Merricat speak to Constance about playfully at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What are Mary Katherine's thoughts about the Rochester house?
5. What does Merricat come up with to keep the change away?
6. What kinds of things does Merricat say the people who would come to her house looking for Constance after the murders would do?
7. Who are Julian and Jonas?
8. How does Charles try to make conversation with Merricat in Chapter 5?
9. What does Julian ask Charles about at breakfast? How does Charles act toward Julian?
10. What does Merricat blame for the arrival of Charles Blackwood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of greed in the "We Have Always Lived in the Castle". Who is greedy? How does this character show his greed? How do the other characters react to his greed?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Merricat. What are her defining character traits? Is she a reliable narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the information given about the murders? How might they have taken place and why? In what manner does Jackson share the information about the murders? Is the identity of the murderer a surprise?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)