|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merricat notice as she watches Constance and Charles talk?
2. What do the village children sing songs about?
3. How many years has it been since the Blackwell family died?
4. What do the village children call Mary Katherine?
5. On which days did Mary Katherine routinely go to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Merricat's safeguards as described in Chapter 3?
2. Which of Merricat's safeguards does she find has fallen in Chapter 4?
3. How does Merricat describe her sense that something is going to change is Chapter 4?
4. What does Constance consider wearing in Chapter 5? What does this tell us about her?
5. Where does Merricat go in Chapter 4?
6. What does Mary Katherine think of the villagers?
7. How did many members of the Blackwoods family die?
8. What does Julian ask Charles about at breakfast? How does Charles act toward Julian?
9. Why has Charles never come to help the Blackwood sisters before?
10. What does Merricat come up with to keep the change away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the protagonist? What is their role in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the horror genre and the elements of that genre which can be found in "We Have Always Lived in the Castle."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between Constance and Merricat. How do these sisters get along? Discuss the dynamic of their relationship.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)