|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is kept in the Blackwood cellar?
2. What does Merricat imagine her buried baby teeth might someday turn into?
3. What does the stranger who comes to the house in Chapter 4 call from outside?
4. Besides the library, where did Mary Katherine usually stop when she went to the village?
5. What does Julian describe in detail in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did many members of the Blackwoods family die?
2. What does Mary Katherine wonder about the library books in Chapter 1?
3. What does Mary Katherine think of the villagers?
4. How does Charles try to make conversation with Merricat in Chapter 5?
5. Where does Merricat go in Chapter 4?
6. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping in order to distract herself from the villagers?
7. What does Merricat come up with to keep the change away?
8. What are Merricat's safeguards as described in Chapter 3?
9. What kinds of things does Merricat say the people who would come to her house looking for Constance after the murders would do?
10. Who are Julian and Jonas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of death in the novel. How does Jackson illustrate the theme of death? What do the characters think of death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jackson's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does Jackson use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Jackson's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)