|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merricat persuade Constance to take outside and add to the barricade?
(a) Julian's desk.
(b) Julian's wheelchair.
(c) The broken mirror from Charles' room.
(d) A bed frame.
2. How does Merricat describe the life that slowly took shape for her and Constance?
(a) As miserable.
(b) As scary.
(c) As unpredictable.
(d) As happy.
3. What does one of the villagers bring to Blackwoods' door in Chapter 10?
(a) A basket of food.
(b) Some firewood.
(c) A building condemnation notice.
(d) A pile of books.
4. Where do Merricat and Constance sweep the rubble to?
(a) The drawing room.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The back porch.
5. What does Merricat use to tie the gate closed in Chatpter 6?
(a) Her father's belt.
(b) A cord from the curtains.
(c) Her father's scarf.
(d) Her mother's shawl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian say happened to Merricat at the orphanage?
2. What does Merricat fantasize about turning Charles into?
3. What does Constance give to Charles in Chapter 6?
4. What does Constance think Julian would have been buried in?
5. What did Merricat's mother want to do to the summerhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state is the kitchen in when the girls return home?
2. What do Merricat and Constance say to each other when they are safe at Merricat's hiding place?
3. What does Merricat notice is different when she returns home in Chapter 8?
4. What mistakes does Constance say she has made in Chapter 6?
5. What do Constance and Merricat hear a woman tell some children in the Blackwood's yard?
6. After the fire, what does Merricat say are her new safeguards? Why does she think she needs new ones?
7. What claim does Julian make about Merricat in Chapter 7?
8. How does Charles show his greediness in Chapter 6?
9. How do the villagers act while the Blackwoods' house is burning? What does Charles do while the house is burning?
10. What does Constance apologize to Merricat about at the end of Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)