|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles try to talk to Merricat about?
(a) The day her family died.
(c) The treasures she buries.
(d) Her cat.
2. What kind of day does Merricat say are ending for her?
(a) Dull days.
(b) Happy days.
(c) Slow days.
(d) Carefree days.
3. How can Merricat tell that Julian is well when she goes home in Chapter 5?
(a) Constance is preparing tea for him.
(b) Julian is speaking nicely with Charles.
(c) Julian is out of his room even though it is late.
(d) Merricat can hear Julian whistling.
4. What do Constance's guests suggest she buy in Chapter 2?
(a) Some new clothes.
(b) A new china set.
(c) Some self-help books.
(d) A radio.
5. What does the stranger who comes to the house in Chapter 4 call from outside?
(a) That he is looking for Constance.
(b) That he is with the press.
(c) That he is looking for Julian.
(d) That he is a police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merricat imagine her buried baby teeth might someday turn into?
2. Besides the library, where did Mary Katherine usually stop when she went to the village?
3. What does Merricat do to make Charles go away in Chapter 5?
4. What does Merricat say is coming in Chapter 3?
5. What does Julian describe in detail in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Charles never come to help the Blackwood sisters before?
2. What does Merricat blame for the arrival of Charles Blackwood?
3. How does Stella act around Mary Katherine in Chapter 1?
4. What was Mary Katherine's routine when she visited the village?
5. What does Mary Katherine think of the villagers?
6. What does Merricat say will remind her to be kind to Uncle Julian in Chapter 4?
7. What is the first thing Constance says in the book, and what is its significance?
8. What does Merricat come up with to keep the change away?
9. What do Helen and Mrs. Wright encourage Constance to do in Chapter 2?
10. Describe the Blackwoods' collection of preserves.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)