|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charles try to talk to Merricat about?
(a) The day her family died.
(b) Her cat.
(d) The treasures she buries.
2. What does Merricat go to get for Constance which leads her to see an approaching stranger in Chapter 4?
(a) A pair of slippers.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A cushion.
(d) A sweater.
3. What does Merricat say the long field looks like in Chapter 4?
(a) An ice rink.
(b) A fluffy quilt.
(c) A large rug.
(d) An ocean.
4. Where does Merricat write the first of her three powerful words?
(a) In the jam of her toast.
(b) Outdoors in dirt.
(c) In the steamed-up window.
(d) On a scrap of newspaper.
5. What does Merricat have buried in the long field?
(a) A silver spoon.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A doll.
(d) A clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stella treat Mary Katherine?
2. Who is not allowed in Julian's room?
3. What is in the Blackwoods' orchard?
4. What did the murdered Blackwoods have for dessert before their deaths?
5. What does Merricat keep at her secret hiding spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mary Katherine's routine when she visited the village?
2. What does Merricat come up with to keep the change away?
3. Why has Charles never come to help the Blackwood sisters before?
4. Who does Helen Clarke bring with her to the Blackwoods'? How do Merricat and Constance feel about having an extra guest?
5. How did many members of the Blackwoods family die?
6. What does Merricat recite after Charles offers carry out her errands in the village?
7. What are Merricat's safeguards as described in Chapter 3?
8. Which of Merricat's safeguards does she find has fallen in Chapter 4?
9. Where does Merricat go in Chapter 4?
10. What does Julian ask Charles about at breakfast? How does Charles act toward Julian?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)