|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merricat check for damage on the Blackwood property?
(a) The tractor.
(b) The shed.
(c) The birdbath.
(d) The fence.
2. Who is Jim Donell?
(a) The post master.
(b) The fire chief.
(c) A peddler.
(d) The grocer.
3. What do Merricat and Constance find Charles doing in the kitchen in Chapter 5?
(a) Smoking a pipe.
(b) Looking at Julian's papers.
(c) Shining his shoes.
(d) Eating a piece of pie.
4. What reason is given in Chapter 4 for why people used to come up to the Blackwood house?
(a) To drop food off for the Blackwoods.
(b) To visit Merricat's parents.
(c) To collect money owed to them.
(d) To catch a glimpse of Constance.
5. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping?
(a) That she can read minds.
(b) The she is a princess.
(c) That she is being chased by pirates.
(d) That she is in a board game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julian describe in detail in Chapter 3?
2. Why didn't Charles ever visit the girls before?
3. What does Merricat's uncle talk about in Chapter 2?
4. What does the stranger who comes to the house in Chapter 4 call from outside?
5. What is the name of the man who comes to the house in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Merricat's safeguards as described in Chapter 3?
2. Who does Helen Clarke bring with her to the Blackwoods'? How do Merricat and Constance feel about having an extra guest?
3. What does Mary Katherine imagine while she is shopping in order to distract herself from the villagers?
4. How does Stella act around Mary Katherine in Chapter 1?
5. What are Mary Katherine's thoughts about the Rochester house?
6. What was Mary Katherine's routine when she visited the village?
7. How did many members of the Blackwoods family die?
8. What kinds of things does Merricat say the people who would come to her house looking for Constance after the murders would do?
9. What does Julian ask Charles about at breakfast? How does Charles act toward Julian?
10. What does Merricat speak to Constance about playfully at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)