|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merricat see when she peeks into Charles's room in Chapter 8?
(a) Her mother's pearls.
(b) Charles's bank book.
(c) Jonas on his bed.
(d) Charles's pipe.
2. Who finds Julian dead?
(c) Helen Clarke.
(d) Dr. Levy.
3. How does Julian describe Charles?
(a) As dishonest.
(b) As naive.
(c) As rude.
(d) As confused.
4. What does Merricat break in Chapter 6?
(a) A pair of cufflinks.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A jar.
(d) A clock.
5. Which of the following supplies did the villagers ruin?
(a) The flour.
(b) The potatoes.
(c) The salt.
(d) The sugar.
6. What feature of the Blackwood house do women on the lawn talk about in Chapter 10?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The marble floors.
(c) The staircase.
(d) The wainscotting.
7. How does Merricat refer to Charles in Chapter 7?
(a) As a devil.
(b) As a monster.
(c) As a demon.
(d) As a beast.
8. What does Constance bake in Chapter 7?
(a) An apple pie.
(b) Chocolate chip cookies.
(c) Spice cookies.
(d) Gingerbread cookies.
9. What does Merricat notice about Constance in Chapter 8?
(a) Constance is well made-up.
(b) Constance is in a bad mood.
(c) Constance's eyes are red.
(d) Constance is limping.
10. Which of the following is not a song that Constance plays in Chapter 6?
(a) "Flow Gently, Sweet Afton."
(b) "Over the Sea to Skye."
(c) "A Vision in the Valley."
(d) "I Saw a Lady."
11. What was the name of Merricat's brother?
12. What does Merricat tell Constance when she wakes up in Chapter 9?
(a) That they should go find Julian.
(b) That they should bury some charms.
(c) That she is sorry for starting the fire.
(d) That they are on the moon.
13. What does Constance decide to do with Uncle Julian's papers?
(a) Bury them.
(b) Paper the damaged walls with them.
(c) Burn them.
(d) Keep them in the cellar.
14. What does Merricat use to tie the gate closed in Chatpter 6?
(a) Her father's scarf.
(b) Her father's belt.
(c) A cord from the curtains.
(d) Her mother's shawl.
15. In Chapter 7, what does Merricat say she is not allowed to touch?
(c) Her mother's fine china.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Merricat take her sister in Chapter 8?
2. What does a woman called Ethel tell some children outside the Blackwoods' house?
3. Who does Jim Clarke bring to the house in Chapter 9?
4. What blocks the kitchen door when Constance and Merricat return home?
5. What does Merricat complain about Charles leaving everywhere in Chapter 6?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)