|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Constance ask Merricat to do before dinner?
(a) Comb her hair.
(b) Get some preserves from the cellar.
(c) Collect the mail.
(d) Change into a clean dress.
2. What does Merricat find against a bush in Chapter 9?
(a) An unbroken figurine.
(b) The harp.
(c) Her cat.
(d) Charles' watch.
3. What does Charles try to fix in Chapter 7?
(a) A radiator.
(b) A broken step.
(c) A crack in the wall.
(d) A broken cupboard.
4. Who throws a rock through the Blackwood's window?
(a) A small boy.
(c) Jim Donell.
5. Who does Jim Clarke bring to the house in Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Wright.
(b) Dr. Levy.
(c) Mr. Carrington.
6. To what does Merricat compare her house, now that it is burned and damaged?
(a) A castle.
(b) A greek ruin.
(c) A burned cake.
(d) A haunted house.
7. What does Constance think Julian would have been buried in?
(a) His robe.
(b) Clothes from a charity shop.
(c) One of Jim Clarke's old suits.
8. Who killed the Blackwood family?
(b) Mrs. Blackwood.
9. What does Merricat feel within the house when she goes home in Chapter 8?
10. What does Merricat break in Chapter 7?
(a) A cookie jar.
(b) Charles's watch.
(c) The lock on Charles' door.
(d) A stair rail.
11. What does Constance give to Charles in Chapter 6?
(a) Julian's shoes.
(b) The library books.
(c) A key to the gate.
(d) Her father's watch.
12. Which room of the house does Merricat hate to go in?
(a) Her father's study.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The dining room.
(d) Her mother's bedroom.
13. What does Constance play in Chapter 6?
(a) A piano.
(b) A violin.
(c) A harp.
(d) A flute.
14. What does Julian say happened to Merricat at the orphanage?
(a) Merricat wrote stories.
(b) Merricat died.
(c) Merricat was abused.
(d) Merricat went crazy.
15. Where does Merricat take her sister in Chapter 8?
(a) To the summerhouse.
(b) To an abandoned church.
(c) To her secret hiding spot.
(d) To Helen's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merricat complain about Charles leaving everywhere in Chapter 6?
2. What does Julian worry about Charles seeing?
3. What did Merricat's mother want to do to the summerhouse?
4. Where does Merricat go when Charles leaves for the village?
5. What does Merricat persuade Constance to take outside and add to the barricade?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)