|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Amos leads Jane to a remote lot in the neighborhood in Part Two, he tells her that who is in trouble?
2. How old is Amos Dalton described as being on the newscast as Buddy watches in Part Two?
3. How does the Avenger commit suicide in Part Two?
4. What river do Jane and Buddy walk along holding hands in Part Two?
5. What word from Part Two means moved to showing sudden emotion or irritation, especially over a trifling annoyance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author delineate the strengths and weaknesses of his characters in We All Fall Down?
2. When and where does Jane encounter Buddy after their breakup in Part Two? How have Jane’s feelings changed at this point?
3. Who are the protagonists in the novel? How are these protagonists different?
4. What are the second and third examples in the novel of a character “falling down”?
5. What revelation does the Avenger reveal to Jane as she is entrapped in Part Two? How does Jane respond?
6. Who calls Jane to plead with her regarding Buddy in Part Two? What information is revealed in this phone call?
7. What similarities can be seen in the families of the four boys who vandalize the Jerome home in We All Fall Down?
8. What justifications does the author make for Buddy Walker’s behavior in the novel?
9. What is the principle reason for Jane’s feelings of isolation after the abduction in Part Two?
10. How is the character of the Avenger described as he entraps Jane in Part Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the romance of Jane and Buddy in Part Two. Do you believe that each of these characters’ feelings are pure? Why or why not? Do you think that Jane is justified in ending their relationship once she learns the truth about Buddy’s past?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of deceptive appearances in We All Fall Down. How is this theme illustrated through the characters of Buddy Walker and the Avenger? Do the characters in the novel that have hidden identities get revealed? What do you think the author’s statement is regarding deception in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characteristics of Vaughn Masterson in the narrative. How old is Vaughn Masterson? Where does he attend school? What interactions has the Avenger had with Vaughn prior to his plotting to kill him? Why does the Avenger kill Vaughn?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)