|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Buddy and Jane occasionally meet to do their homework together once they’ve started dating in Part Two?
2. Jane’s ordeal with the Avenger takes place on what day of the week in Part Two?
3. Jane comes to learn that the Avenger’s murders of the school bully and his grandfather took place how many years ago in the end of Part Two?
4. What doctor has prescribed sleeping pills for Jane when her family is in seclusion in Part Two?
5. How does Jane respond when the Avenger tells her that Buddy was one of the trashers in Part Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the value systems of the main characters presented in the novel?
2. What revelation does the Avenger reveal to Jane as she is entrapped in Part Two? How does Jane respond?
3. Who intercepts Jane and lures her to the abandoned lot in Part Two? How?
4. How does Jane confront Buddy about his past after her abduction in Part Two? How does Buddy respond?
5. What happens when Jane enters the abandoned shed at the empty lot in Part Two?
6. How does Buddy’s fall at the mall stand out among examples of characters “falling down” in the novel?
7. What is the principle reason for Jane’s feelings of isolation after the abduction in Part Two?
8. What are the second and third examples in the novel of a character “falling down”?
9. What similarities can be seen in the families of the four boys who vandalize the Jerome home in We All Fall Down?
10. How does the author delineate the strengths and weaknesses of his characters in We All Fall Down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of isolation apply to the main characters in the story? How has Jane’s sense of isolation increased since the trashing of her home? How does this theme apply to Buddy? How does it apply to Karen Jerome? How does it relate to the Avenger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characteristics of Vaughn Masterson in the narrative. How old is Vaughn Masterson? Where does he attend school? What interactions has the Avenger had with Vaughn prior to his plotting to kill him? Why does the Avenger kill Vaughn?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the clues in the narrative that identify the setting of We All Fall Down. What popular culture references in Part One indicate approximately what year the story takes place in? Where in the country does the story appear to be set? What holiday is it when the home invasion takes place? How do you relate to this setting?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)