|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many martinis does Buddy’s father drink before lunch when they meet at the restaurant in Part Two?
2. Who calls Buddy as he contemplates taking a drink from the bottle in the garage in Part Two?
3. Buddy’s mother tells him and his sister that she’s planning on taking a retreat for how long in the beginning of Part Two?
4. Who calls Jane to defend Buddy after the ordeal and their breakup in Part Two?
5. Who wrote, “In a real dark night of the soul it is always three o’clock in the morning”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Jerome family characterized in the novel? How does this family unit differ from others presented in the story?
2. What justifications does the author make for Buddy Walker’s behavior in the novel?
3. How are the characters of Randy and Marty depicted in We All Fall Down? How do these characters differ from Buddy Walker?
4. What revelation does the Avenger reveal to Jane as she is entrapped in Part Two? How does Jane respond?
5. How does Buddy’s fall at the mall stand out among examples of characters “falling down” in the novel?
6. What does the character of the Avenger represent symbolically in the novel?
7. How does the author characterize the relationship between Buddy and Jane prior to their breakup in the novel?
8. What is the principle reason for Jane’s feelings of isolation after the abduction in Part Two?
9. What happens when Jane enters the abandoned shed at the empty lot in Part Two?
10. Describe the narrative point of view in We All Fall Down. In what ways is this narrative style sophisticated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the controversies surrounding the works of Robert Cormier and his response to the criticism that We All Fall Down garnished after publication. How did the author defend his work? What are your thoughts on the banning of this book from libraries? On what grounds has the book been banned?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Marty Sanders and Randy Pierce in the novel. How old are each of these characters? What is their relationship like to Harry Flowers? How do these characters relate to Buddy Walker?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Buddy Walker’s perspective as he descends the stairs and sees his friends in the process of attacking and (potentially) raping Karen Jerome in Part One. Why does Buddy not intervene? How does Buddy feel about the situation? What sound stands out to Buddy in this scene?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)