|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Part Two that Buddy did not learn of Jane’s ordeal with the Avenger until what time that night?
2. When Marty tells Buddy about Harry’s arrest in Part Two, he says, “I’ve known Harry all my life. We were in preschool together. Harry never” what?
3. Buddy’s mother tells him and his sister that she’s planning on taking a retreat at a monastery just south of what town?
4. How does the Avenger commit suicide in Part Two?
5. When Jane begins to shout at the Avenger as she’s tied to the chair in Part Two, he tells her, “Don’t yell—don’t scream. If you scream, I’ll have to do to you what I did to Vaughn Masterson and” whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does the Avenger reveal to Jane as she is entrapped in Part Two? How does Jane respond?
2. How does the concept of motivation tie into the themes seen in Part One of We All Fall Down?
3. How is the character of the Avenger described as he entraps Jane in Part Two?
4. How are the characters of Randy and Marty depicted in We All Fall Down? How do these characters differ from Buddy Walker?
5. Describe the narrative point of view in We All Fall Down. In what ways is this narrative style sophisticated?
6. What does the character of Harry Flowers represent symbolically in the novel?
7. What happens when Jane enters the abandoned shed at the empty lot in Part Two?
8. What does Mr. Jerome represent symbolically in We All Fall Down?
9. When and where does Jane encounter Buddy after their breakup in Part Two? How have Jane’s feelings changed at this point?
10. How does Buddy’s fall at the mall stand out among examples of characters “falling down” in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of isolation apply to the main characters in the story? How has Jane’s sense of isolation increased since the trashing of her home? How does this theme apply to Buddy? How does it apply to Karen Jerome? How does it relate to the Avenger?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the triggers leading up to Buddy’s drinking problem in the narrative. When is the first occurrence that Buddy got drunk? How did it make him feel? Who encouraged Buddy’s drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Motivations for Violence
a. Discuss the motivations or objectives of the boys who vandalize the Jerome household. What compels the boys to this act of violence and vandalism?
b. Discuss the Avenger’s motivations in the novel. Why does the Avenger seek out the boys who trashed the Jerome house? How do the Avenger’s motivations change in the course of the story?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)