|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marty’s suede flight jacket is said to be worth how much money in Part One?
2. How much weekly allowance does Buddy receive from his mother after his father has left the household in Part One?
3. Jane describes her house and the street it is on as something like you might see in what old television show in Part One?
4. How old is Jane Jerome in the beginning of We All Fall Down?
5. Where do Buddy and his friends stop to clean up after trashing the Jerome home and attacking Karen in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the title of We All Fall Down? From where is this title derived?
2. What happens when Karen Jerome flees from her attackers during the break-in in Part One?
3. Why is Jane Jerome upset when the narrative switches to her storyline in the beginning of Part One?
4. What is the first example of a character “falling down” in the novel?
5. How does the relationship between Buddy Walker and Jane Jerome begin in Part Two?
6. What happens when Buddy’s sister confronts him about his drinking in Part One?
7. What information does Mr. Jerome relate to the police detective after the vandalism in Part One?
8. Describe the character of Buddy Walker in Part One. What makes Buddy a “likeable” character in the novel?
9. When, precisely, do the vandals break into the Jerome home in the beginning of Part One? Who encounters them as they are vandalizing the house?
10. What news does Buddy receive when he arrives at school in the opening of Part Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Patti Amarelli and Leslie Cairns in the novel. For how long has Jane been best friends with these two girls? How have they developed the motif of “pink” to unite them in their friendship? How does their friendship change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the romance of Jane and Buddy in Part Two. Do you believe that each of these characters’ feelings are pure? Why or why not? Do you think that Jane is justified in ending their relationship once she learns the truth about Buddy’s past?
Essay Topic 3
Motivations for Violence
a. Discuss the motivations or objectives of the boys who vandalize the Jerome household. What compels the boys to this act of violence and vandalism?
b. Discuss the Avenger’s motivations in the novel. Why does the Avenger seek out the boys who trashed the Jerome house? How do the Avenger’s motivations change in the course of the story?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)