|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of grades does the Avenger get most of the time, according to the narrator in Part One?
2. The narrator says in Part One, “The first time he saw Randy and Marty together, Buddy flashed back to an old movie on television.” What was the movie?
3. How does the narrator describe Buddy’s mother in Part One?
4. With what weapon does the Avenger kill the school bully in Part One?
5. Where do Buddy and his friends stop to clean up after trashing the Jerome home and attacking Karen in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Harry Flowers obtain the key to the Jerome household, as revealed in Part Two?
2. How does Jane discover Buddy’s drinking in Part Two? How does she address the issue?
3. What leads the Avenger to murdering his grandfather? How does he kill him?
4. What is significant about the title of We All Fall Down? From where is this title derived?
5. How does the relationship between Buddy Walker and Jane Jerome begin in Part Two?
6. What information does Mr. Jerome relate to the police detective after the vandalism in Part One?
7. What happens when Karen Jerome flees from her attackers during the break-in in Part One?
8. What is the first example of a character “falling down” in the novel?
9. How does the Avenger cover up the murder of Vaughn Masterson?
10. How is Buddy Walker’s descent into alcoholism described in Part One? What led Buddy to begin drinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motivations for Violence
a. Discuss the motivations or objectives of the boys who vandalize the Jerome household. What compels the boys to this act of violence and vandalism?
b. Discuss the Avenger’s motivations in the novel. Why does the Avenger seek out the boys who trashed the Jerome house? How do the Avenger’s motivations change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the romance of Jane and Buddy in Part Two. Do you believe that each of these characters’ feelings are pure? Why or why not? Do you think that Jane is justified in ending their relationship once she learns the truth about Buddy’s past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative shifts that take place throughout We All Fall Down. Does the narrator of the story have a limited or omniscient perspective? How does the language style transition in the narrative changes? Who are the main characters that the story follows?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)