|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Avenger’s grandfather?
2. Where did Harry get the fireworks that he presents to Buddy and the gang in Part One?
3. What does Jane tell her friends people call Mickey Stallings behind his back in Part One?
4. How old is Jane Jerome in the beginning of We All Fall Down?
5. What position does Mr. Jerome have at the telephone company where he works in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the central questions that arise in the plot of We All Fall Down? How do these questions relate to the novel’s themes?
2. What happens when Karen Jerome flees from her attackers during the break-in in Part One?
3. What is significant about the title of We All Fall Down? From where is this title derived?
4. How does the narrator in Part One describe the character of the Avenger? How old is he said to be?
5. How does the Avenger cover up the murder of Vaughn Masterson?
6. What is significant about the setting of We All Fall Down in relation to the central topics addressed in the novel?
7. How does Jane discover Buddy’s drinking in Part Two? How does she address the issue?
8. Where does the Avenger spend much of his time trying to track down the vandals who destroyed the Jerome home in Part One? What impression does he have when he encounters Jane Jerome here?
9. When, precisely, do the vandals break into the Jerome home in the beginning of Part One? Who encounters them as they are vandalizing the house?
10. How does the author effectively draw the reader into the story in Part One?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Buddy Walker in the novel. How old is Buddy? What is Buddy’s family like? How does Buddy’s family compare with the Jerome family? How does Buddy evolve as a character throughout the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Addy Walker in the novel. How old is Addy? What has her relationship with her brother been like in the past? How does their relationship change when Addy confronts Buddy about his drinking?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the romance of Jane and Buddy in Part Two. Do you believe that each of these characters’ feelings are pure? Why or why not? Do you think that Jane is justified in ending their relationship once she learns the truth about Buddy’s past?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)