|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Karen Jerome in Part One of the novel?
2. Who was the pastor at Jane’s old Methodist church in Monument, according to the narrator in Part One?
3. What grade in school is the Avenger when he kills the school bully in Part One?
4. What is the name of the high school that Jane attends in the novel?
5. On what date does Mickey tell Jane it will be time to plant the tomatoes in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the central questions that arise in the plot of We All Fall Down? How do these questions relate to the novel’s themes?
2. How is Buddy Walker’s descent into alcoholism described in Part One? What led Buddy to begin drinking?
3. How does Jane discover Buddy’s drinking in Part Two? How does she address the issue?
4. How does the narrator in Part One describe the character of the Avenger? How old is he said to be?
5. What is significant about the setting of We All Fall Down in relation to the central topics addressed in the novel?
6. What are the central societal issues faced by the main characters in We All Fall Down?
7. What news does Buddy receive when he arrives at school in the opening of Part Two?
8. What information does Mr. Jerome relate to the police detective after the vandalism in Part One?
9. How does the narrator describe Jane’s school friends in Part One? What color unites these girls?
10. Is the violence in We All Fall Down portrayed in a realistic manner? How would you describe its characterization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of deceptive appearances in We All Fall Down. How is this theme illustrated through the characters of Buddy Walker and the Avenger? Do the characters in the novel that have hidden identities get revealed? What do you think the author’s statement is regarding deception in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of isolation apply to the main characters in the story? How has Jane’s sense of isolation increased since the trashing of her home? How does this theme apply to Buddy? How does it apply to Karen Jerome? How does it relate to the Avenger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the triggers leading up to Buddy’s drinking problem in the narrative. When is the first occurrence that Buddy got drunk? How did it make him feel? Who encouraged Buddy’s drinking?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)