• Part one begins with the narrator's description of the destruction of a "seven-room Cape Cod cottage" by four home invaders; the vandals break in at 9:02 p.m. on April Fool's Day and completely trash the home.
• At 9:46 p.m., 14-year-old Karen Jerome arrives home and discovers the chaotic scene.
• At 9:51 p.m., the home invaders flee the home, leaving behind 23 beer bottles, 2 empty vodka bottles, property value estimated at $20,000, and Karen Jerome, who is described as "broken" in the cellar.
• A character called "the Avenger" watches the entire scene from a hiding place outside the home, but can do nothing to help.
• The action jumps forward two days later to 16-year-old Jane Jerome feeling guilty for having argued with her sister on the night of the break-in.
• Karen Jerome is now in a coma in the intensive care unit at the hospital and their father discusses the...
This section contains 1,467 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)