|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lady Wishfort doing as Act 4, Scene 2 commences?
2. When Fainall enters in Act 5, Scene 2, what does he do?
3. What does Mrs. Marwood's letter to Lady Wishfort reveal?
4. What does Sir Wilfull Witwoud's remarks on Wishfort's dressing reveal about his character?
5. Why are failed poets unable to judge Congreve's play?
Essay Topic 1
In what ways has the structure of play changed since Congreve wrote The Way of the World? Give specific examples to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Witwoud, Sir Wilfull, and Petulant are minor characters in the play. They provide comic relief and further the plot along.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two cousins: Witwoud and Sir Wilfull.
Part 2) What do you think would have happened in the play if Sir Wilfull had insisted on marrying Mrs. Millamant?
Part 3) Describe how Petulant tries to show his importance.
Essay Topic 3
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)