|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Millamant agree to marry Sir Wilfull?
2. What does Sir Rowland claim as he enters the dining room and greets Lady Wishfort?
3. What is Lady Wishfort's reaction to Mrs. Marwood's suggestion about Mrs. Fainall?
4. What qualities is the proposed marriage between Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort rooted in?
5. What purpose does the interaction between Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort serve as they discuss marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the terms of marriage between the couples in the play and how those terms of marriage are the same or different from today's marriages. Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue, Congreve claims that tastes are determined by fate and that natural fools are blessed by fate. What does he mean? Does fate determine our destiny? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Find at least three examples in the play which show how Mirabell feels about Mrs. Millamant. Is his love true? What is true love? Explain your point of view.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)