|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are failed poets unable to judge Congreve's play?
2. What does the final couplet of the play warn the audience against?
3. How does Foible disobey Lady Wishfort instructions when Lady Wishfort sends Foible to ensure Sir Wilfull and Mrs. Millamant talk?
4. What does Sir Rowland claim as he enters the dining room and greets Lady Wishfort?
5. Who witnessed the document in the black box?
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
Essay Topic 2
There are multiple devious characters in this play. Discuss who they are, their motivations, and their purpose in the play. Did they deserve their outcome? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Congreve was criticized because he did not use farce in his play. Why was this important to the audiences? How is farce used in today's literature, movies, and TV programs?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)