|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is this play properly classified?
2. One of the three types of critics that Concreve claims is_____________.
3. What inconvenience does Foible point out about Sir Rowland to Lady Wishfort?
4. What does Sir Rowland claim as he enters the dining room and greets Lady Wishfort?
5. What is Lady Wishfort's reaction to Mrs. Marwood's suggestion about Mrs. Fainall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think audiences in this era would react to such a revolutionary position as that of Mrs. Millamant who was asking for equal rights?
2. Why does Mirabell agree to help the Fainall's achieve peace in their marriage?
3. Is Mirabell's elaborate plot going to be successful? Explain why or why not?
4. Why does Lady Wishfort accept Mirabell offer to help Mrs. Millamant?
5. Discuss Mrs. Marwood's statements in Act 5, Scene 2.
6. Throughout the play, Mirabell has protested his love for Mrs. Millamant. Citing specific examples, what are some of the ways he has demonstrated his love for Mrs. Millamant?
7. As a play, The Way of the World met with little success. However, critics believe it is one of the best comedies of manners ever written. Why do you think there is such a difference in opinion between audiences and critics?
8. Why is this play considered to be universal instead of simply a Restoration comedy of manners?
9. How have the fortunes of the lovers been determined in this play? Is this a good thing or a bad one? Explain your point of view.
10. As Act 4, Scene 2 opens Waitwell seems to be successful in his pursuit of Lady Wishfort. Why is this so? What is Lady Wishfort's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
Essay Topic 2
If you were a friend of Mirabell, would you have supported his scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Lady Wishfort is a vain, silly woman who is bound by the rules of Restoration society. Discuss her character giving illustrations from the play. What are some of the rules she tried to obey? How is this different from today's society?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)