|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following characteristics of Lady Wishfort's girlish excitement at Sir Rowland's visit are revealed except one. Which characteristic is not true of Lady Wishfort?
2. Why is Fainall upset with Mrs. Marwood at the end of Act 3, Scene 3?
3. Why was the cologne given to the footmen?
4. What does the expression 'errant knave' mean?
5. Lady Wishfort convinces herself that her daughter is innocent in a soliloquy. What is a soliloquy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do critics today differ from Congreve's description of them?
2. Explain the importance of the discussion of their marriage by Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell.
3. Lay out Fainall's demands to keep his knowledge about his wife from society. Is this a reasonable revenge or not?
4. Discuss Lady Wishfort's character as it has developed throughout the play.
5. How have the fortunes of the lovers been determined in this play? Is this a good thing or a bad one? Explain your point of view.
6. Does Congreve achieve his purpose with the endless teasing of Sir Wilfull by his half-brother Witwoud and Petulant?
7. Why does Lady Wishfort accept Mirabell offer to help Mrs. Millamant?
8. What makes the scene between Mrs. Fainall and Foible comic?
9. Compare Congreve's opinions on love, marriage, and honesty with another play, novel, movie, etc. you know well.
10. Discuss Mrs. Marwood's statements in Act 5, Scene 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The motives of the characters seem to determine their success in the play. Discuss the different character's motivations in this play. Did any of them have the same motivations? What factors influenced the character's motivations?
Essay Topic 2
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
Essay Topic 3
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)