|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Wishfort criticize her daughter, Mrs. Fainall?
2. How is this play properly classified?
3. What has Lady Wishfort discovered that has her so angry at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
4. How does Foible disobey Lady Wishfort instructions when Lady Wishfort sends Foible to ensure Sir Wilfull and Mrs. Millamant talk?
5. As Act 3, Scene 3 opens, Mrs. Millamant and Mrs. Marwood are talking. What do we learn from their interaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mirabell's elaborate plot going to be successful? Explain why or why not?
2. In what way does the discussion of marriage between Lady Wishfort and Sir Rowland differ from the discussion of Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell?
3. Discuss Lady Wishfort's character as it has developed throughout the play.
4. Explain the significance of the document in the black box.
5. Why is Mrs. Marwood trying to provoke Mrs. Millamant in Act 3, Scene 3?
6. Why is Mrs. Marwood one of the least sympathetic characters in the play?
7. Discuss Lady Wishfort's reaction to Foible's revelations in Act 5, Scene 1.
8. Explain Mrs. Fainall's relief at not being found out by her mother.
9. Why is this play considered to be universal instead of simply a Restoration comedy of manners?
10. Discuss Lady Wishfort's plans for receiving Sir Rowland. Why are the plans so elaborate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Witwoud, Sir Wilfull, and Petulant are minor characters in the play. They provide comic relief and further the plot along.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two cousins: Witwoud and Sir Wilfull.
Part 2) What do you think would have happened in the play if Sir Wilfull had insisted on marrying Mrs. Millamant?
Part 3) Describe how Petulant tries to show his importance.
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue, Congreve claims that tastes are determined by fate and that natural fools are blessed by fate. What does he mean? Does fate determine our destiny? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways has the structure of play changed since Congreve wrote The Way of the World? Give specific examples to back up your statements.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)