|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sir Wilfull bow out of his marriage arrangement with Mrs. Millamant?
2. Why does Lady Wishfort dismiss Foible?
3. Why does Congreve say these critics should be the subject of onstage satire?
4. What inconvenience does Foible point out about Sir Rowland to Lady Wishfort?
5. What problem must Lady Wishfort solve instead of attending Sir Rowland at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Congreve has used poetic devices such as eavesdropping, foreshadowing, and symbols. Citing examples from the play, how did he use each element? Was his use of the device effective or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In the prologue, Congreve claims that tastes are determined by fate and that natural fools are blessed by fate. What does he mean? Does fate determine our destiny? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)