|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though she has been deceived by Mirabell and berates Foible, Lady Wishfort is shown as a __________ character.
2. Who would have received Mrs. Millamant's fortune if Lady Wishfort took it from her?
3. Why does Congreve say these critics should be the subject of onstage satire?
4. What seems to determine the success of the characters in the play?
5. Who delivered the epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lady Wishfort come to the conclusion that Sir Wilfull will not make a good husband for Mrs. Millamant?
2. Why is this play considered to be universal instead of simply a Restoration comedy of manners?
3. Discuss Mrs. Marwood's statements in Act 5, Scene 2.
4. How do you think audiences in this era would react to such a revolutionary position as that of Mrs. Millamant who was asking for equal rights?
5. What makes the scene between Mrs. Fainall and Foible comic?
6. Does Congreve achieve his purpose with the endless teasing of Sir Wilfull by his half-brother Witwoud and Petulant?
7. Why do we feel sympathy for Lady Wishfort even though she is vain and is berating a servant at the beginning Act 5, Scene 1?
8. Explain the significance of the document in the black box.
9. Discuss Lady Wishfort's plans for receiving Sir Rowland. Why are the plans so elaborate?
10. In what way does the discussion of marriage between Lady Wishfort and Sir Rowland differ from the discussion of Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were a friend of Mirabell, would you have supported his scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that the audiences of Restoration society did not like the play? Would audiences today be more receptive? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In the prologue, Congreve claims that tastes are determined by fate and that natural fools are blessed by fate. What does he mean? Does fate determine our destiny? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)