|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Wishfort has arranged for the party to include all of the following except one item. Which one is it?
2. Why does Mrs. Marwood urge Lady Wishfort to reconsider her desire to hear Fainall's proof of his wife's adultery?
3. All of the following characteristics of Lady Wishfort's girlish excitement at Sir Rowland's visit are revealed except one. Which characteristic is not true of Lady Wishfort?
4. What does Foible tell Mrs. Millamant when she reaches her in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. As Act 3, Scene 3 opens, Mrs. Millamant and Mrs. Marwood are talking. What do we learn from their interaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout the play, Mirabell has protested his love for Mrs. Millamant. Citing specific examples, what are some of the ways he has demonstrated his love for Mrs. Millamant?
2. As Act 4, Scene 2 opens Waitwell seems to be successful in his pursuit of Lady Wishfort. Why is this so? What is Lady Wishfort's reaction?
3. How have the fortunes of the lovers been determined in this play? Is this a good thing or a bad one? Explain your point of view.
4. How do you think audiences in this era would react to such a revolutionary position as that of Mrs. Millamant who was asking for equal rights?
5. Discuss Lady Wishfort's character as it has developed throughout the play.
6. Compare Congreve's opinions on love, marriage, and honesty with another play, novel, movie, etc. you know well.
7. In what way does the discussion of marriage between Lady Wishfort and Sir Rowland differ from the discussion of Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell?
8. Why does Lady Wishfort accept Mirabell offer to help Mrs. Millamant?
9. Why does Lady Wishfort come to the conclusion that Sir Wilfull will not make a good husband for Mrs. Millamant?
10. As a play, The Way of the World met with little success. However, critics believe it is one of the best comedies of manners ever written. Why do you think there is such a difference in opinion between audiences and critics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways has the structure of play changed since Congreve wrote The Way of the World? Give specific examples to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
Essay Topic 3
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)