|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Lady Wishfort discovered that has her so angry at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
2. Why were Witwoud and Petulant arguing at the end of Act 4, Scent 1?
3. What problem must Lady Wishfort solve instead of attending Sir Rowland at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
4. What does Foible tell Mrs. Millamant when she reaches her in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. What does Mrs. Marwood do to stop the argument between Petulant and Sir Wilfull in Act 3, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Sir Wilfull Witwoud's travels.
2. Why do we feel sympathy for Lady Wishfort even though she is vain and is berating a servant at the beginning Act 5, Scene 1?
3. As Act 4, Scene 2 opens Waitwell seems to be successful in his pursuit of Lady Wishfort. Why is this so? What is Lady Wishfort's reaction?
4. Explain the importance of the discussion of their marriage by Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell.
5. Why does Lady Wishfort come to the conclusion that Sir Wilfull will not make a good husband for Mrs. Millamant?
6. Lay out Fainall's demands to keep his knowledge about his wife from society. Is this a reasonable revenge or not?
7. In what way does the discussion of marriage between Lady Wishfort and Sir Rowland differ from the discussion of Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell?
8. Discuss Lady Wishfort's reaction to Foible's revelations in Act 5, Scene 1.
9. Does Congreve achieve his purpose with the endless teasing of Sir Wilfull by his half-brother Witwoud and Petulant?
10. Is Mirabell's elaborate plot going to be successful? Explain why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
Essay Topic 2
If you were a friend of Mirabell, would you have supported his scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)