|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though she has been deceived by Mirabell and berates Foible, Lady Wishfort is shown as a __________ character.
2. Why does Lady Wishfort criticize her daughter, Mrs. Fainall?
3. What does Sir Wilfull Witwoud's remarks on Wishfort's dressing reveal about his character?
4. Why would tabloid reporters be unable to judge the play?
5. Why does Mrs. Millamant agree to marry Sir Wilfull?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Congreve's opinions on love, marriage, and honesty with another play, novel, movie, etc. you know well.
2. Why do we feel sympathy for Lady Wishfort even though she is vain and is berating a servant at the beginning Act 5, Scene 1?
3. As a play, The Way of the World met with little success. However, critics believe it is one of the best comedies of manners ever written. Why do you think there is such a difference in opinion between audiences and critics?
4. How do you think audiences in this era would react to such a revolutionary position as that of Mrs. Millamant who was asking for equal rights?
5. How do critics today differ from Congreve's description of them?
6. Discuss Lady Wishfort's plans for receiving Sir Rowland. Why are the plans so elaborate?
7. Why does Mirabell agree to help the Fainall's achieve peace in their marriage?
8. Why does Lady Wishfort accept Mirabell offer to help Mrs. Millamant?
9. Explain the significance of the document in the black box.
10. Why is Mrs. Marwood one of the least sympathetic characters in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Congreve has used poetic devices such as eavesdropping, foreshadowing, and symbols. Citing examples from the play, how did he use each element? Was his use of the device effective or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
Essay Topic 3
Find at least three examples in the play which show how Mirabell feels about Mrs. Millamant. Is his love true? What is true love? Explain your point of view.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)