|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Wilfull Witwoud's remarks on Wishfort's dressing reveal about his character?
2. In order for Mrs. Millamant to become Mirabell's prize, he must first ___________ .
3. What is Lady Wishfort's reaction to the revelations of Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall?
4. Which room in Lady Wishfort's house is the setting for Act 4, Scene 2?
5. Why does Lady Wishfort praise Mrs. Marwood at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Congreve seemed to be critical of Restoration society for various reasons. Find at least three examples in the play that illustrate his criticism. Explain why he thought each one of these points was negative. How would he have changed these failings? Explain your answer in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Congreve's play is a comedy yet it has serious overtones. Explain how the playwright achieves both in this work. Give examples to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 3
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)