|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is eavesdropping so successful in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Why did Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall choose Fainall as her husband?
3. Why does Fainall say he married his wife?
4. Who are the fools spoken of in the prologue?
5. Does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort everything she overheard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what we know about Mrs. Marwood at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
2. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What are some of the ways in which Mrs. Marwood is able to manipulate the men around her?
4. Describe how the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1 become a symbol.
5. Is Congreve's use of character names symbolic of their personalities an effective device?
6. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
7. What is the relationship between Lady Wishfort and Mrs. Marwood?
8. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
9. What opinion do you have of Mirabell's trickery in pretending to love Lady Wishfort in order to marry Mrs. Millamant? Is this too far-fetched to be believable or is it a possibility? Explain your point of view using specific examples from the play.
10. Mrs. Marwood is someone who thinks of revenge when others cross her. What scheme do you think Mrs. Marwood is planning to extract her revenge on Mirabell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways has the structure of play changed since Congreve wrote The Way of the World? Give specific examples to back up your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Find at least three examples in the play which show how Mirabell feels about Mrs. Millamant. Is his love true? What is true love? Explain your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)