|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Are the tastes of poets random?
2. Who told Lady Wishfort about Mirabell's deception?
3. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
4. Why were the first performances heavily criticized?
5. Why does Mirabell believe the scheme to deceive Lady Wishfort is necessary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Millamant.
2. Describe Lady Wishfort.
3. In what way(s) is the play different from the usual farce audiences were accustomed to?
4. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
5. Why does Mrs. Fainall support Mirabell's plans?
6. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
7. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
8. Describe Mirabell's feelings for Mrs. Millamant when he discusses his love for her with Fainall in Act 1, Scene 2 in the chocolate house.
9. In Act 3, Scene 1, Lady Wishfort is excited about the arrival of Sir Rowland in the evening. In a short paragraph, describe the Sir Rowland plot as shown up to this point. What do you think will happen to Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort?
10. Why are fame and fortune said to be 'fleeting'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Congreve was criticized because he did not use farce in his play. Why was this important to the audiences? How is farce used in today's literature, movies, and TV programs?
Essay Topic 2
How much are the characters molded by their time and place? Would the same characters act differently in modern society? What traits would remain the same and which ones would be replaced with other traits?
Essay Topic 3
Congreve claimed that 'Fame and fortune are fleeting'. What does he mean by this statement? Do you think it is true? Why or why not? Give specific examples (either from the play or real life) to illustrate your point of view.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)