|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Are the tastes of poets random?
2. Why is eavesdropping so successful in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Why did Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall choose Fainall as her husband?
4. Why does Fainall say he married his wife?
5. What is Lady Wishfort planning to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Waitwell and Foible?
2. What are some of the ways in which Mrs. Marwood is able to manipulate the men around her?
3. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
4. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Why does Mrs. Fainall support Mirabell's plans?
6. Describe Mirabell's feelings for Mrs. Millamant when he discusses his love for her with Fainall in Act 1, Scene 2 in the chocolate house.
7. Describe Mrs. Millamant.
8. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
9. Who is the most important character in the play? Describe him.
10. What opinion do you have of Mirabell's trickery in pretending to love Lady Wishfort in order to marry Mrs. Millamant? Is this too far-fetched to be believable or is it a possibility? Explain your point of view using specific examples from the play.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Witwoud, Sir Wilfull, and Petulant are minor characters in the play. They provide comic relief and further the plot along.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two cousins: Witwoud and Sir Wilfull.
Part 2) What do you think would have happened in the play if Sir Wilfull had insisted on marrying Mrs. Millamant?
Part 3) Describe how Petulant tries to show his importance.
Essay Topic 2
Did you like the ending of the play? Do you think it was consistent with the events leading up to the conclusion? How would you have changed it? Write a brief essay explaining how you felt about Congreve's ending.
Essay Topic 3
If you were a friend of Mirabell, would you have supported his scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)