|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mirabell pretend to love Lady Wishfort?
2. What does Mrs. Marwood promise herself after hearing how Mirabell feels about her?
3. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
4. Why did Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall choose Fainall as her husband?
5. What does Fainall claim about Mrs. Marwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1 become a symbol.
2. Is Congreve's use of character names symbolic of their personalities an effective device?
3. Explain what Mrs. Marwood learned when she stayed in the closet in Lady Wishfort's dressing room. How does she react?
4. Describe Sir Wilfull Witwoud.
5. Do you think that a prologue is a good way to introduce a play? Why or why not?
6. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
7. Describe Lady Wishfort.
8. Describe Mrs. Millamant.
9. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
10. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the terms of marriage between the couples in the play and how those terms of marriage are the same or different from today's marriages. Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways has the structure of play changed since Congreve wrote The Way of the World? Give specific examples to back up your statements.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)