|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While drinking chocolate, what else are Mirabell and Fainall doing?
2. By firing back at the audience, what does Congreve do?
3. Why does Mirabell criticize Fainall at the chocolate house?
4. What is a prologue?
5. What does Mrs. Marwood say to Mrs. Fainall about men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
2. In Act 3, Scene 1, Lady Wishfort is excited about the arrival of Sir Rowland in the evening. In a short paragraph, describe the Sir Rowland plot as shown up to this point. What do you think will happen to Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort?
3. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
4. Explain what Mrs. Marwood learned when she stayed in the closet in Lady Wishfort's dressing room. How does she react?
5. Describe Mrs. Millamant.
6. Describe Mirabell's feelings for Mrs. Millamant when he discusses his love for her with Fainall in Act 1, Scene 2 in the chocolate house.
7. Explain Fainall's circumstances as we know them by Act 2, Scene 1. What is his relationship with the women in the play?
8. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
9. Describe Lady Wishfort.
10. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Witwoud, Sir Wilfull, and Petulant are minor characters in the play. They provide comic relief and further the plot along.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two cousins: Witwoud and Sir Wilfull.
Part 2) What do you think would have happened in the play if Sir Wilfull had insisted on marrying Mrs. Millamant?
Part 3) Describe how Petulant tries to show his importance.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Congreve has used poetic devices such as eavesdropping, foreshadowing, and symbols. Citing examples from the play, how did he use each element? Was his use of the device effective or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)