|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the scene where Mrs. Marwood is left in the closet reveal about her?
2. What does Foible tell Mrs. Fainall when Lady Wishfort leaves the dressing room?
3. With respect to Sir Wilfull, what does Mrs. Marwood suggest to Lady Wishfort?
4. What does Mrs. Marwood mean when she tells Lady Wishfort she was entertained by what she heard?
5. What are Mrs. Fainall and Mrs. Marwood doing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Congreve believe that 'natural fools' are blessed by fortune?
2. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
3. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. Explain Fainall's circumstances as we know them by Act 2, Scene 1. What is his relationship with the women in the play?
5. Describe Mirabell's character.
6. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
7. Describe Lady Wishfort.
8. Why does Mrs. Fainall support Mirabell's plans?
9. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
10. Describe how the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1 become a symbol.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are multiple devious characters in this play. Discuss who they are, their motivations, and their purpose in the play. Did they deserve their outcome? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
Essay Topic 3
If you were a friend of Mirabell, would you have supported his scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)