|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wishfort dislike Mirabell?
2. What did Lady Wishfort say or do that offended Mirabell?
3. How does Witwoud describe Petulant?
4. Which one of the follow was not part of Mirabell's plan?
5. How does Mrs. Marwood attack Fainall when he angers her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Waitwell and Foible?
2. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
3. Describe Mirabell's character.
4. Discuss Lady Wishfort's character as it has developed throughout the play.
5. Explain the importance of the discussion of their marriage by Mrs. Millamant and Mirabell.
6. Does Congreve achieve his purpose with the endless teasing of Sir Wilfull by his half-brother Witwoud and Petulant?
7. Throughout the play, Mirabell has protested his love for Mrs. Millamant. Citing specific examples, what are some of the ways he has demonstrated his love for Mrs. Millamant?
8. Compare Congreve's opinions on love, marriage, and honesty with another play, novel, movie, etc. you know well.
9. Describe Fainall's character.
10. Why do we feel sympathy for Lady Wishfort even though she is vain and is berating a servant at the beginning Act 5, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
Do the characters in the play show growth or changes as the play progresses? How much of the play's meaning depends on this growth? How do you think the characters will have changed five or ten years from now?
Essay Topic 2
Witwoud, Sir Wilfull, and Petulant are minor characters in the play. They provide comic relief and further the plot along.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the two cousins: Witwoud and Sir Wilfull.
Part 2) What do you think would have happened in the play if Sir Wilfull had insisted on marrying Mrs. Millamant?
Part 3) Describe how Petulant tries to show his importance.
Essay Topic 3
Find at least three examples in the play which show how Mirabell feels about Mrs. Millamant. Is his love true? What is true love? Explain your point of view.
This section contains 1,565 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)