|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sir Rowland?
2. What does Lady Wishfort do when she enters her dressing room?
3. Which word best describes what Mincing believes Witwoud to be?
4. What is the second kind of fool blessed by?
5. What does Foible convince Lady Wishfort to announce about the uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
2. In what way(s) is the play different from the usual farce audiences were accustomed to?
3. What is the relationship between Waitwell and Foible?
4. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
5. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
6. Describe Mirabell's plan to marry Mrs. Millamant.
7. What opinion do you have of Mirabell's trickery in pretending to love Lady Wishfort in order to marry Mrs. Millamant? Is this too far-fetched to be believable or is it a possibility? Explain your point of view using specific examples from the play.
8. Describe how the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1 become a symbol.
9. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. Do you think that a prologue is a good way to introduce a play? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, Congreve has used poetic devices such as eavesdropping, foreshadowing, and symbols. Citing examples from the play, how did he use each element? Was his use of the device effective or not? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How has Congreve worked to make us feel sympathetic to certain characters while having no sympathy for others? Explain your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
The motives of the characters seem to determine their success in the play. Discuss the different character's motivations in this play. Did any of them have the same motivations? What factors influenced the character's motivations?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)