|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the footman bring Mirabell at the chocolate house?
2. What is Sir Wilfull's relationship with Lady Wishfort?
3. Who is Mrs. Millamant?
4. Where is Mrs. Marwood at the opening of Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Why were the first performances heavily criticized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Congreve's use of character names symbolic of their personalities an effective device?
2. Why are fame and fortune said to be 'fleeting'?
3. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
4. Describe Lady Wishfort.
5. Describe Sir Wilfull Witwoud.
6. What opinion do you have of Mirabell's trickery in pretending to love Lady Wishfort in order to marry Mrs. Millamant? Is this too far-fetched to be believable or is it a possibility? Explain your point of view using specific examples from the play.
7. What are some of the ways in which Mrs. Marwood is able to manipulate the men around her?
8. Mrs. Marwood is someone who thinks of revenge when others cross her. What scheme do you think Mrs. Marwood is planning to extract her revenge on Mirabell?
9. What is the relationship between Waitwell and Foible?
10. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that the audiences of Restoration society did not like the play? Would audiences today be more receptive? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, who was the most successful character in achieving his or her goals in the play? Why have you chosen this character? Explain why you think this character succeeded where other failed.
Essay Topic 3
In the prologue, Congreve claims that tastes are determined by fate and that natural fools are blessed by fate. What does he mean? Does fate determine our destiny? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)