|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lady Wishfort's reaction to the revelations of Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall?
(a) She thanks her daughter for her deviousness.
(b) She is grateful to her daughter.
(c) She is upset.
(d) She praises Mrs. Fainall's prudence.
2. What does Waitwell bring into the room in the last scene?
(a) The black box.
(b) His marriage contract with Lady Wishfort.
(c) His marriage certificate.
(d) His personal documents.
3. Why does Sir Wilfull bow out of his marriage arrangement with Mrs. Millamant?
(a) He enjoys drinking and carousing with his friends.
(b) He wants to go home.
(c) He likes being a free man.
(d) He does not like the city environment of lies and deceit.
4. What does Congreve's cheerful discussion of marriage reveal to the audience?
(a) He offers a serious commentary on love.
(b) He shows the true concept of marriage at the time.
(c) He feelings that marriage should be based on true communication and understanding.
(d) He illustrates the ways marriage can be perverted.
5. As Lady Wishfort steps out of the dining room to read a letter, what does Waitwell claim to Foible?
(a) He thinks Lady Wishfort is obsessed with sex.
(b) He knows he is in over his head.
(c) He is rather tired of this pretense.
(d) He would rather be a chairman than Wishfort's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Congreve's character Mirabell is a master ________ .
2. What does Lady Wishfort demonstrate when she agrees to Fainall and Mrs. Marwood's schemes?
3. What does Mrs. Millamant achieve when she renounces Mirabell?
4. One of the three types of critics that Concreve claims is_____________.
5. Why did Congreve use the epilogue?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)