|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Foible do when she enters Lady Wishfort's dressing room?
(a) She announces Sir Rowland.
(b) She helps Lady Wishfort dress.
(c) She says Witwoud and Petulant have arrived.
(d) She asks Mrs. Marwood to keep the men company.
2. What are Mrs. Fainall and Mrs. Marwood doing to each other in the park?
(a) Questioning each other about their opinion of love.
(b) Trying to determine if the other is having an affair.
(c) Investigating each other's love affairs.
(d) Testing each other about Mirabell.
3. Why are poets often fooled?
(a) They don't study their critics.
(b) They believe what people tell them to their face.
(c) They believe in their work and expect others to understand and like it.
(d) They are fooled into believing that one successful play means the next one will be successful also.
4. What does Lady Wishfort ask Mrs. Marwood to do after Foible's announcement?
(a) She asks her help in dressing.
(b) She asks Mrs. Marwood to keep Witwoud and Petulant company.
(c) She asks Mrs. Marwood to receive her guests.
(d) She asks her to accompany her to dinner.
5. What news does the footman bring Mirabell at the chocolate house?
(a) That Foible wanted to speak to him.
(b) That Waitwell and Foible are married.
(c) That his coachman, Waitwell, is waiting with his carriage.
(d) That Waitwell and Foible have run away together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mirabell believe the scheme to deceive Lady Wishfort is necessary?
2. What phrase describes the relationship between Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall?
3. How does Mrs. Marwood answer Fainall when he joins her in the park?
4. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
5. Why does Mirabell criticize Fainall at the chocolate house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
2. Mrs. Marwood is someone who thinks of revenge when others cross her. What scheme do you think Mrs. Marwood is planning to extract her revenge on Mirabell?
3. Describe Mirabell's plan to marry Mrs. Millamant.
4. Describe Mrs. Millamant.
5. Is Congreve's use of character names symbolic of their personalities an effective device?
6. Explain what Mrs. Marwood learned when she stayed in the closet in Lady Wishfort's dressing room. How does she react?
7. Describe Sir Wilfull Witwoud.
8. Explain Fainall's circumstances as we know them by Act 2, Scene 1. What is his relationship with the women in the play?
9. In Act 3, Scene 1, Lady Wishfort is excited about the arrival of Sir Rowland in the evening. In a short paragraph, describe the Sir Rowland plot as shown up to this point. What do you think will happen to Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort?
10. Describe Mirabell's character.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)