|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mirabell leave Lady Wishfort's house the previous evening?
(a) Because of another commitment.
(b) Because he felt unwelcome.
(c) Because he detested Lady Wishfort and only went because of Mrs. Millamant.
(d) Because he felt ill and wanted to rest at home.
2. With respect to Sir Wilfull, what does Mrs. Marwood suggest to Lady Wishfort?
(a) Sir Wilfull is going to continue his travels.
(b) Sir Wilfull is a drunkard.
(c) Sir Wilfull is a country bumpkin.
(d) Sir Wilfull will make an excellent husband for Mrs. Millamant.
3. Why does Mirabell criticize Fainall at the chocolate house?
(a) Because Fainall is drinking too much.
(b) Because he dislikes Fainall's wife.
(c) Because he is angry with Fainall.
(d) Because he allowed his wife to ignored Mirabell the previous night.
4. What does Mirabell state that he believes about Mrs. Millamant to Fainall?
(a) That he will help her improve on her faults.
(b) That Mrs. Millamant's faults are a nuisance.
(c) That Mrs. Millamant's faults suit her very well.
(d) That Mrs. Millamant should not be so cruel to him.
5. Who are Witwoud and Petulant?
(a) Mrs. Millamant's servants.
(b) Important gentlemen of this social group.
(c) Followers of Mrs. Millamant.
(d) Lady Wishfort's servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort everything she overheard?
2. How does Mrs. Marwood attack Fainall when he angers her?
3. What do the different marriages introduced in the play seem to be motivated by?
4. What does Mrs. Marwood promise herself after hearing how Mirabell feels about her?
5. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, Lady Wishfort is excited about the arrival of Sir Rowland in the evening. In a short paragraph, describe the Sir Rowland plot as shown up to this point. What do you think will happen to Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort?
2. Describe how the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1 become a symbol.
3. Why does Congreve believe that 'natural fools' are blessed by fortune?
4. Describe Petulant.
5. Describe Sir Wilfull Witwoud.
6. Mrs. Marwood is someone who thinks of revenge when others cross her. What scheme do you think Mrs. Marwood is planning to extract her revenge on Mirabell?
7. Describe what we know about Mrs. Marwood at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
8. In what way(s) is the play different from the usual farce audiences were accustomed to?
9. What do you think is Congreve's purpose in establishing an affair between Fainall and Mrs. Marwood?
10. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)