|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Wishfort is all of the following except one. Which one does not apply to her character?
2. What does Foible convince Lady Wishfort to announce about the uncle?
(a) He is coming to marry Mrs. Millamant.
(b) He is coming to marry Mrs. Fainall.
(c) He is coming to marry Mrs. Marwood.
(d) He is coming to marry Lady Wishfort.
3. What is the second kind of fool blessed by?
(c) Religious beliefs.
(d) How their lives evolve over time.
4. What phrase describes the relationship between Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall?
(a) They are brother and sister.
(b) They were never romantically involved.
(c) They are lovers.
(d) They were previously lovers.
5. Which word best describes what Mincing believes Witwoud to be?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) A fool.
(c) A country bumpkin.
(d) A despot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Fainall and Mrs. Marwood doing to each other in the park?
2. What does Mrs. Marwood say to Mrs. Fainall about men?
3. What does Fainall claim about Mrs. Marwood?
4. What reason does Fainall give for Mirabell's deception being revealed?
5. Why did Mirabell and Mrs. Fainall choose Fainall as her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Mrs. Marwood learned when she stayed in the closet in Lady Wishfort's dressing room. How does she react?
2. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
3. Describe Mirabell's plan to marry Mrs. Millamant.
4. Explain Fainall's circumstances as we know them by Act 2, Scene 1. What is his relationship with the women in the play?
5. Describe Mirabell's feelings for Mrs. Millamant when he discusses his love for her with Fainall in Act 1, Scene 2 in the chocolate house.
6. Why does Congreve use 'eavesdropping' in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. Who is the most important character in the play? Describe him.
8. What is the relationship between Lady Wishfort and Mrs. Marwood?
9. Describe Lady Wishfort.
10. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)