|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
(a) She laughs, too.
(b) She agrees with her.
(c) She feels hurt for Mirabell.
(d) She is offended.
2. What does Mirabell state that he believes about Mrs. Millamant to Fainall?
(a) That Mrs. Millamant's faults are a nuisance.
(b) That Mrs. Millamant should not be so cruel to him.
(c) That he will help her improve on her faults.
(d) That Mrs. Millamant's faults suit her very well.
3. What does Mirabell's plan consist of?
(a) Hiding his true feelings about Mrs. Fainall.
(b) Entering into a plot with Mrs. Marwood.
(c) Winning Mrs. Millamant's aunt's favor so she would give her blessing.
(d) Trying to make others believe that he wasn't interested in Mrs. Millamant.
4. Why does Mirabell criticize Fainall at the chocolate house?
(a) Because Fainall is drinking too much.
(b) Because he is angry with Fainall.
(c) Because he dislikes Fainall's wife.
(d) Because he allowed his wife to ignored Mirabell the previous night.
5. With respect to Sir Wilfull, what does Mrs. Marwood suggest to Lady Wishfort?
(a) Sir Wilfull is a country bumpkin.
(b) Sir Wilfull is a drunkard.
(c) Sir Wilfull is going to continue his travels.
(d) Sir Wilfull will make an excellent husband for Mrs. Millamant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Foible tell Lady Wishfort all but one of the following. Which statement is incorrect?
2. The prologue begins with a comparison of what?
3. Lady Wishfort is all of the following except one. Which one does not apply to her character?
4. What does the prologue do?
5. Who is Sir Rowland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sir Wilfull Witwoud.
2. What do you think is Congreve's purpose in establishing an affair between Fainall and Mrs. Marwood?
3. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
4. In Act 3, Scene 1, Lady Wishfort is excited about the arrival of Sir Rowland in the evening. In a short paragraph, describe the Sir Rowland plot as shown up to this point. What do you think will happen to Sir Rowland and Lady Wishfort?
5. Describe Petulant.
6. Describe what we know about Mrs. Marwood at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
7. What is the relationship between Waitwell and Foible?
8. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
9. Describe Lady Wishfort.
10. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)