|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the most important male character in the play?
2. Mirabell's plan involves ________ Lady Wishfort.
(d) Making love to.
3. Are the tastes of poets random?
4. All of the following are true except one. As Mrs. Marwood discovers Mirabell's plot, she ______ .
(a) Feels angry with Mrs. Wishfort.
(b) Plots to destroy Mirabell's scheme.
(c) Wants him to fail.
(d) Vows revenge.
5. What does Mirabell suggest that Mrs. Fainall do if she no longer loves her husband?
(a) Ignore him.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Maintain a status quo with him.
(d) Kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Fainall and Mrs. Marwood doing to each other in the park?
2. Why does Fainall say he married his wife?
3. What happens if Mirabell's uncle marries and has a child?
4. Who are the fools spoken of in the prologue?
5. Why did Lady Wishfort need to apply rouge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Fainall support Mirabell's plans?
2. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
3. Mrs. Marwood is someone who thinks of revenge when others cross her. What scheme do you think Mrs. Marwood is planning to extract her revenge on Mirabell?
4. Why does Mrs. Marwood tell Lady Wishfort she has seen Foible with Mirabell?
5. Explain Fainall's circumstances as we know them by Act 2, Scene 1. What is his relationship with the women in the play?
6. Describe Lady Wishfort.
7. What are some of the ways in which Mrs. Marwood is able to manipulate the men around her?
8. What is the relationship between Lady Wishfort and Mrs. Marwood?
9. Do you think that a prologue is a good way to introduce a play? Why or why not?
10. Describe what we know about Mrs. Marwood at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)