Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Prologue
1. Why are fame and fortune said to be 'fleeting'?
2. Why does Congreve believe that 'natural fools' are blessed by fortune?
3. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
4. In what way(s) is the play different from the usual farce audiences were accustomed to?
5. Do you think that a prologue is a good way to introduce a play? Why or why not?
6. Congreve says the play doesn't...
This section contains 1,063 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)