Short Essay Questions
1. Why are fame and fortune said to be 'fleeting'?
2. Why does Congreve believe that 'natural fools' are blessed by fortune?
3. Is Congreve being facetious when he says the play's purpose is to entertain the audience and not instruct them about life?
4. In what way(s) is the play different from the usual farce audiences were accustomed to?
5. Do you think that a prologue is a good way to introduce a play? Why or why not?
6. Congreve says the play doesn't contain satire yet the play is full of satirical pictures of different behaviors by the characters. Why do you think he made this statement?
7. How does Congreve feel about Mirabell's plot?
8. Describe Mirabell's character.
9. Describe Fainall's character.
10. Is Congreve's use of character names symbolic of their personalities an effective device?
11. What do you think that Mirabell's scheme to marry Mrs. Millamant will entail?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)