|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what purpose are the cosmetics used in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) As a device to mask one's feelings.
(b) As a symbol of loose morals.
(c) As a symbol of how people cover themselves up.
(d) As a way to disguise age.
2. What does Mrs. Marwood's letter to Lady Wishfort reveal?
(a) Sir Rowland is actually an errant knight.
(b) Sir Rowland is an imposter.
(c) The contents of Sir Rowland's black box.
(d) The marriage contract is actually a fake.
3. What are the tastes of poets determined by?
(c) How their lives evolve over time.
(d) Religious beliefs.
4. Which word best describes what Mincing believes Witwoud to be?
(a) A fool.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A despot.
(d) A country bumpkin.
5. What does Mrs. Marwood claim while talking to Mrs. Fainall?
(a) Men are cold as husbands.
(b) Lovers are more passionate.
(c) She would rather love and be left than not be loved at all.
(d) She is cuckolding her husband with Mirabell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dramatic device of naming characters that are symbolic of their personality traits allow the playwright Congreve to do?
2. What are Mrs. Fainall and Mrs. Marwood doing to each other in the park?
3. Who are the fools spoken of in the prologue?
4. Why is Fainall upset with Mrs. Marwood at the end of Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Foible tell Mrs. Millamant when she reaches her in Act 4, Scene 1?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)