|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes what Mincing believes Witwoud to be?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) A despot.
(c) A fool.
(d) A country bumpkin.
2. What does Mrs. Marwood's discussion with Fainall reveal about her character?
(a) It demonstrates her ability to get information from anyone.
(b) It shows she conspires with him often.
(c) It suggests Fainall blackmailed Mirabell about his affair with his wife, Mrs. Fainall.
(d) It conveys her willingness to hurt anyone in order to get her way.
3. All of the following characteristics of Lady Wishfort's girlish excitement at Sir Rowland's visit are revealed except one. Which characteristic is not true of Lady Wishfort?
(a) She is a typical lady of Restoration society.
(b) She is a genuine person.
(c) She is a vain fool.
(d) She is an aging woman.
4. Why does Mrs. Millamant leave the room after the arrival of Witwoud and Petulant?
(a) She dislikes them.
(b) She becomes frustrated with Witwoud and Petulant.
(c) She needs to get dressed for dinner.
(d) She believes that Mirabell is coming.
5. Why was the cologne given to the footmen?
(a) To add to the elegance of the party.
(b) To give the footmen a little bonus.
(c) To prevent the footmen from smelling like stable hands.
(d) To disguise bodily odor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the success of Congreve's play depend on?
2. Why did Waitwell marry Foible?
3. What is a prologue?
4. What demands does Mrs. Millamant's discussion with Mirabell about marriage reveal?
5. Why does the prologue refer to Congreve as a 'passive poet'?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)