|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mirabell leave Lady Wishfort's house the previous evening?
(a) Because he felt ill and wanted to rest at home.
(b) Because he detested Lady Wishfort and only went because of Mrs. Millamant.
(c) Because he felt unwelcome.
(d) Because of another commitment.
2. The prologue begins with a comparison of what?
(a) Fortune and destiny.
(b) Poets and members of society.
(c) Two kinds of fools.
(d) Poets and other artists.
3. What does Mrs. Marwood claim while talking to Mrs. Fainall?
(a) She is cuckolding her husband with Mirabell.
(b) Men are cold as husbands.
(c) Lovers are more passionate.
(d) She would rather love and be left than not be loved at all.
4. How does Mrs. Marwood answer Fainall when he joins her in the park?
(a) She is tired of arguing with him.
(b) She wants to go home.
(c) She is protective of Fainall's honor.
(d) She hates his wife.
5. Why does Petulant hire three prostitutes?
(a) Show his lack of social sensitivity.
(b) Act as a foil to his popularity.
(c) Feign importance to his peers.
(d) Satisfy his sexual needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Congreve use satire in the prologue?
2. What word best describes the relationship Fainall has with Mrs. Marwood?
3. How does Mrs. Marwood attack Fainall when he angers her?
4. What does the dramatic device of naming characters that are symbolic of their personality traits allow the playwright Congreve to do?
5. What does Fainall claim about Mrs. Marwood?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)