|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Congreve use satire in the prologue?
(a) He states the play does not contain satire, but it is full of satirical pictures of the different behaviors of the characters.
(b) He makes fun of the audience.
(c) He suggests that farce is outdated.
(d) He uses theatrical devices to enhance satire.
2. Who are Witwoud and Petulant?
(a) Mrs. Millamant's servants.
(b) Followers of Mrs. Millamant.
(c) Lady Wishfort's servants.
(d) Important gentlemen of this social group.
3. What does Mirabell's plan consist of?
(a) Trying to make others believe that he wasn't interested in Mrs. Millamant.
(b) Entering into a plot with Mrs. Marwood.
(c) Winning Mrs. Millamant's aunt's favor so she would give her blessing.
(d) Hiding his true feelings about Mrs. Fainall.
4. What are the tastes of poets determined by?
(a) How their lives evolve over time.
(d) Religious beliefs.
5. The prologue begins with a comparison of what?
(a) Two kinds of fools.
(b) Poets and other artists.
(c) Poets and members of society.
(d) Fortune and destiny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are poets often fooled?
2. Why does Wishfort dislike Mirabell?
3. Who told Lady Wishfort about Mirabell's deception?
4. What is the purpose of this play's prologue?
5. What news does the footman bring Mirabell at the chocolate house?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)