|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the tastes of poets determined by?
(c) Religious beliefs.
(d) How their lives evolve over time.
2. What is the second kind of fool blessed by?
(a) How their lives evolve over time.
(b) Religious beliefs.
3. What does the prologue do?
(a) Challenges the audience to try something new.
(b) Introduces Congreve and his play.
(c) Instructs the audience on how to react to the play.
(d) Limits criticism of the play.
4. The prologue begins with a comparison of what?
(a) Poets and members of society.
(b) Fortune and destiny.
(c) Two kinds of fools.
(d) Poets and other artists.
5. Why are poets often fooled?
(a) They don't study their critics.
(b) They believe in their work and expect others to understand and like it.
(c) They believe what people tell them to their face.
(d) They are fooled into believing that one successful play means the next one will be successful also.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the success of Congreve's play depend on?
2. What is the purpose of this play's prologue?
3. Who are Witwoud and Petulant?
4. What reason does Fainall give for Mirabell's deception being revealed?
5. While drinking chocolate, what else are Mirabell and Fainall doing?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)