|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By firing back at the audience, what does Congreve do?
(a) He lectures them about their lack of artistic understanding.
(b) He infuriates the audience.
(c) He defends his decision to add some unusual and new elements to the play.
(d) He pretends to admire them while he really hates them.
2. What did Lady Wishfort say or do that offended Mirabell?
(a) She ignored Mirabell and talked only with Fainall.
(b) She said that Mirabell should leave.
(c) She laughed at him.
(d) She commented that some people overstay their welcome.
3. The actor who reads the prologue also plays which character?
(b) Sir Rowland.
(c) Sir Wilfull.
4. What does the prologue permit Congreve to do to the audience?
(a) It shows how the poet is always in charge of the performance.
(b) It gives him a platform where he can answer his critics.
(c) It allows him to introduce the themes of the play.
(d) It serves as a sounding board for his concept of drama.
5. What is a chocolate house?
(a) A meeting place for women.
(b) A place for men to meet.
(c) A new type of coffee shop celebrating the discovery of chocolate.
(d) A shop serving only pastries made of chocolate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Millamant?
2. What news does the footman bring Mirabell at the chocolate house?
3. Why does Congreve tell the audience that they will not be offended to any reference to fools in the play?
4. Who are the fools spoken of in the prologue?
5. What is the purpose of the play?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)