|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mrs. Millamant's response to her aunt's statement?
(a) She agrees with her.
(b) She laughs, too.
(c) She is offended.
(d) She feels hurt for Mirabell.
2. What does the prologue permit Congreve to do to the audience?
(a) It serves as a sounding board for his concept of drama.
(b) It allows him to introduce the themes of the play.
(c) It gives him a platform where he can answer his critics.
(d) It shows how the poet is always in charge of the performance.
3. What is the purpose of this play's prologue?
(a) To introduce Congreve and his play.
(b) To encourage other poets.
(c) To instruct the audience about love.
(d) To set the stage for a 'rant' against society.
4. Who told Lady Wishfort about Mirabell's deception?
(b) Mrs. Millamant.
(c) Mrs. Marwood.
5. Who are the fools spoken of in the prologue?
(a) Members of society in general.
(b) Husbands, wives and lovers.
(c) Poets and natural fools.
(d) Critics of the play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Fainall bored when talking with Mirabell in the chocolate house?
2. Why does Wishfort dislike Mirabell?
3. What are the tastes of poets determined by?
4. Why did Mirabell pretend to love Lady Wishfort?
5. While drinking chocolate, what else are Mirabell and Fainall doing?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)