|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Fainall give for Mirabell's deception being revealed?
(a) He deserved it.
(b) He should have expected Lady Wishfort's friends to tell her.
(c) He did not return Mrs. Marwood's romantic gestures.
(d) Mrs. Marwood tried to protect her friend, Lady Wishfort.
2. What is a cabal?
(a) A military uprising.
(b) A secret society; a plot.
(c) A meeting of enemies against the state.
(d) A group of friends.
3. What is the purpose of the play?
(a) To lecture the audience and therefore, society.
(b) To instruct the audience in life.
(c) To add to the audience's knowledge.
(d) To entertain the audience.
4. What is the purpose of this play's prologue?
(a) To introduce Congreve and his play.
(b) To encourage other poets.
(c) To set the stage for a 'rant' against society.
(d) To instruct the audience about love.
5. What does Fainall claim about Mrs. Marwood?
(a) She is concerned about her reputation.
(b) She is bored in his company.
(c) She is jealous of his wife spending time with Mirabell.
(d) She is really angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the first performances heavily criticized?
2. Why does Wishfort dislike Mirabell?
3. What happens if Mirabell's uncle marries and has a child?
4. Why does Congreve tell the audience that they will not be offended to any reference to fools in the play?
5. What does the prologue permit Congreve to do to the audience?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)