|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word 'image' mean in this book?
(a) Any object that can be seen.
(b) Reproduced sight.
(c) Any reproduced art work.
(d) Any work of art.
2. The author proposes that there is a gap between what two concepts?
(a) Words and thought.
(b) Words and text.
(c) Words and sight.
(d) Words and poetry.
3. What affect does a title have on a painting's meaning?
(a) A title can be changed to any words without affecting the viewer.
(b) Words in a title will affect the painting more than the viewer.
(c) A title is not necessary in historical paintings.
(d) Words in a title can change the interpretation of a painting.
4. Which statement best describes what is eliminated when a work of art is reproduced?
(a) The presence of an authority on the artwork.
(b) The compostition of the artwork.
(c) The viewer of the artwork.
(d) The title of the artwork.
5. What diversifies the meaning of a painting?
(a) The type of museum lighting.
(b) Its reproduction in many locations.
(c) Its type of framing.
(d) Its title.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frans Hals?
2. What do images of the past promote?
3. Which phrase describes Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams"?
4. Which statement best describes the Cubist style?
5. Which statement summarizes how images are subjective?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)