|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron?
2. Who slept through the entire disaster after the big boom?
3. What does Kenny do when he sees his reflection in the mirror in Chapter 15?
4. Where did Momma write out the plan for the trip?
5. How does Momma let Grandma know she is there in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
2. Where does Grandma warn the children not to go, and why?
3. Why can't Mr. Robert and his dog hunt anymore?
4. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
5. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
6. What scares the kids when they get out of the car for the second time during the trip?
7. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
8. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
9. What caused what Kenny heard in the back yard, and how does he discover this?
10. What does Kenny think about the lecture Byron gives him after he gets out from behind the couch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)