|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children died in the church bombing in Birmingham?
2. What is Kenny's favorite song?
3. Where did Momma write out the plan for the trip?
4. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron?
5. Who saves Kenny from the dangerous part of the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kenny see when he gets to the church to find Joey?
2. What does Byron do after Kenny is saved and is breathing again in Chapter 13?
3. Why does Kenny feel he won a small victory during the car ride in Chapter 9?
4. What does Kenny first think when Joey talks to him in his room in Chapter 14?
5. What has Dad planned for the trip despite Momma's intense research?
6. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
7. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
8. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
9. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
10. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the role of discipline presented in this book, and what are the most successful methods used? How do these methods shape the personality of the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Watsons decide to make the trek down to Alabama, and how did this trip change the lives of each member of the family?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)