|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what does Joey show Kenny to prove she is alive?
2. Why does Kenny want to go to the area of the lake that Grandma warned about?
3. What about Grandma does Momma not approve of?
4. Where does Byron sleep on the night before the road trip?
5. What caused the big boom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
2. What scares the kids when they get out of the car for the second time during the trip?
3. What does Kenny hear after Joey goes to church in Chapter 14, and what does Dad think caused it?
4. What caused what Kenny heard in the back yard, and how does he discover this?
5. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
6. What does Byron seem to like about being in Alabama?
7. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
8. What does Byron do after Kenny is saved and is breathing again in Chapter 13?
9. What do Kenny and Byron trade off doing while driving in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of social codes were disobeyed in this book, and how did this lack of observance affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What are the family dynamics of the Watson family, and how do these relationships change over the course of the plot?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)