|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Mrs. Davidson give her favorite Watson before they leave on their trip?
2. Why do the kids all go to the lake in Chapter 13?
3. How many children died in the church bombing in Birmingham?
4. Why does Kenny want to go to the area of the lake that Grandma warned about?
5. Where do Momma and Grandma sit while they catch up in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
2. What bothers the Watson kids so much at their first stop along the road trip?
3. What does Kenny first think when Joey talks to him in his room in Chapter 14?
4. What saps the energy out of Kenny in Alabama?
5. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
6. What does Kenny see when he gets to the church to find Joey?
7. What scares the kids when they get out of the car for the second time during the trip?
8. Where does Grandma warn the children not to go, and why?
9. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
10. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Byron is incredibly protective of his little brother. What are some of the ways this protective feeling is shown, and how do these moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)