|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children died in the church bombing in Birmingham?
2. Why can't Grandma's gentleman friend hunt anymore?
3. What is the hunting dog's name?
4. What street did the church bombing in Birmingham take place?
5. What does Kenny call Joey while he is hiding at his house in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kenny first think when Joey talks to him in his room in Chapter 14?
2. What does Kenny think about the lecture Byron gives him after he gets out from behind the couch?
3. Why does Dad tell Kenny that Byron needs to go to Alabama for a time?
4. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
5. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
6. Why does Kenny feel he won a small victory during the car ride in Chapter 9?
7. What surprises Kenny about Birmingham when they finally get there?
8. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
9. What saps the energy out of Kenny in Alabama?
10. What was Kenny ashamed about after the bombing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
How is the role of discipline presented in this book, and what are the most successful methods used? How do these methods shape the personality of the characters in the book?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)