|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Kenny from the dangerous part of the lake?
2. Why does Byron want to go to the lake in Chapter 12?
3. Why can't Grandma's gentleman friend hunt anymore?
4. Where was racial segregation the worst at the time of this book?
5. What about Grandma does Momma not approve of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Byron seem to like about being in Alabama?
2. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
3. What saps the energy out of Kenny in Alabama?
4. What was Kenny ashamed about after the bombing?
5. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
6. What does Kenny hear after Joey goes to church in Chapter 14, and what does Dad think caused it?
7. What bothers the Watson kids so much at their first stop along the road trip?
8. What does Kenny see when he gets to the church to find Joey?
9. What does Kenny think about the lecture Byron gives him after he gets out from behind the couch?
10. What do Kenny and Byron trade off doing while driving in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Joetta has a pure and compassionate heart. How does she show this compassion, and in what ways does this compassion of hers change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)