|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Dad tell about his plan to drive through the night?
2. Where does Byron sleep on the night before the road trip?
3. Why doesn't Byron sleep in his own room on the night before the road trip?
4. What does Kenny do when he sees his reflection in the mirror in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Kenny want to go to the area of the lake that Grandma warned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
2. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
3. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
4. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
5. What scares the kids when they get out of the car for the second time during the trip?
6. Why does Kenny feel he won a small victory during the car ride in Chapter 9?
7. What does Byron seem to like about being in Alabama?
8. What does Kenny see when he gets to the church to find Joey?
9. What bothers the Watson kids so much at their first stop along the road trip?
10. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the stories Byron told, and how did they affect the characters who heard them?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of social codes were disobeyed in this book, and how did this lack of observance affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)