|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the kids upset about at the first stop on their road trip?
2. Why does Dad tell Kenny that Byron needs to go South for a while?
3. What caused the big boom?
4. Where does Kenny hide at his house in Chapter 15?
5. What is Momma mad about when she sees Dad drove straight through the entire trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
2. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
3. What has Dad planned for the trip despite Momma's intense research?
4. What does Kenny hear after Joey goes to church in Chapter 14, and what does Dad think caused it?
5. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
6. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
7. Who is the Wool Pooh?
8. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
9. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
10. Where does Grandma warn the children not to go, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of social codes were disobeyed in this book, and how did this lack of observance affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)