|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who screams just after the big boom was heard?
2. What does Kenny take from the place where the big boom occurred?
3. Where does Joey sleep in the car?
4. Why can't Grandma's gentleman friend hunt anymore?
5. What does the family do while Dad drives after the first stop on the road trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
2. What does Byron do after Kenny is saved and is breathing again in Chapter 13?
3. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
4. What does Kenny hear after Joey goes to church in Chapter 14, and what does Dad think caused it?
5. What has Dad planned for the trip despite Momma's intense research?
6. What saps the energy out of Kenny in Alabama?
7. Who is the Wool Pooh?
8. What was Kenny ashamed about after the bombing?
9. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
10. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Kenny has a somewhat negative view of his intellect. Where does this view come from, and how has this affected his personality and his place in the school?
Essay Topic 3
Joetta has a pure and compassionate heart. How does she show this compassion, and in what ways does this compassion of hers change the course of the plot?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)