|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Dad tell about his plan to drive through the night?
2. How many children died in the church bombing in Birmingham?
3. What are the Watson children afraid of when they take their second break of the road trip?
4. What do Byron and Kenny trade off doing while Joey sleeps?
5. Who was most effected by the bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
2. Why does Kenny want to go to Collier's Landing, and how do his siblings react to this?
3. What bothers the Watson kids so much at their first stop along the road trip?
4. What does Kenny see when he gets to the church to find Joey?
5. Why does Kenny feel he won a small victory during the car ride in Chapter 9?
6. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
7. What was Kenny ashamed about after the bombing?
8. What relieves Momma about Dad ignoring all of her plans for the trip?
9. What scares the kids when they get out of the car for the second time during the trip?
10. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of social codes were disobeyed in this book, and how did this lack of observance affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are the family dynamics of the Watson family, and how do these relationships change over the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)