|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the safe place a sign points to along the lake?
2. How many children died in the church bombing in Birmingham?
3. Who saves Kenny from the dangerous part of the lake?
4. What does the author say we might be if we want to?
5. How many states do the Watsons drive through before their second break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Wool Pooh?
2. What saps the energy out of Kenny in Alabama?
3. What has Dad planned for the trip despite Momma's intense research?
4. What caused what Kenny heard in the back yard, and how does he discover this?
5. What bothers the Watson kids so much at their first stop along the road trip?
6. Why does Dad tell Kenny that Byron needs to go to Alabama for a time?
7. What does Kenny think about the lecture Byron gives him after he gets out from behind the couch?
8. In Chapter 11, how does Kenny realize how long they have really been in the car?
9. What do Kenny and Byron trade off doing while driving in Chapter 10?
10. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
What are the family dynamics of the Watson family, and how do these relationships change over the course of the plot?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)