|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Byron say southern people get colder faster than northern people?
2. What is the name of Byron's friend in Chapter 1?
3. Who does not allow Momma to punish Byron?
4. What is the name of the biggest addition to the car in Chapter 8?
5. What is Dad's sister's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Watsons doing at the very beginning of the book?
2. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
3. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
4. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
5. Why does Byron say Kenny cannot tell on him for buying things at the store without permission?
6. How does Momma soothe Rufus's hurt feelings for Kenny?
7. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
8. Why did Kenny stop playing with LJ?
9. What does Dad do after seeing what Byron did to his hair?
10. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the Watsons decide to make the trek down to Alabama, and how did this trip change the lives of each member of the family?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of social codes were disobeyed in this book, and how did this lack of observance affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)