|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Byron's friend in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Dad fixing up the car?
3. Who gets Kenny's gloves back after they are stolen?
4. How does Byron feel when he hits the bird on the phone wire?
5. What is the new kid's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kenny tease Byron after seeing his hair?
2. What does Kenny like to watch his father do in the mornings, and why?
3. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
4. What does Byron say to get Joetta to stop complaining about the warm clothes?
5. What happens when Kenny asks to sign the welfare list to pay for his groceries?
6. Why does Momma bundle up her kids so much when it gets cold?
7. In Chapter 3, how does Kenny feel about havng to sit by the new kid at first, and why?
8. What does Dad say Momma's old boyfriend said to try to keep her from marrying Dad?
9. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
10. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Kenny has a somewhat negative view of his intellect. Where does this view come from, and how has this affected his personality and his place in the school?
Essay Topic 3
How is Byron able to help Kenny heal from the events that took place at the church in Montgomery? How did Byron's interaction change Kenny's perspective on things?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)