|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joey stop doing after Byron talks to her about the garbage trucks?
2. What does Byron say the garbage trucks really do in the morning?
3. Why is the store owner confused when the two children ask to sign the welfare list in Chapter 6?
4. Where did the new boy in Kenny's class move from?
5. How does Momma feel about what Byron does to his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Byron say Kenny cannot tell on him for buying things at the store without permission?
2. What does Momma say she dissapproves of her mother for, and what is Grandma's response?
3. What do Kenny and Byron trade off doing while driving in Chapter 10?
4. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
5. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7 and why?
6. Who is the Wool Pooh?
7. Why does Dad tell Kenny that Byron needs to go to Alabama for a time?
8. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
9. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
10. In Chapter 3, how does Kenny feel about havng to sit by the new kid at first, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)