|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Kenny in?
2. What is Dad's finishing touch to fixing up his car?
3. How long does Byron go before playing with the dangerous item again?
4. How long does the family enjoy the new addition to the car?
5. Who was Kenny's only friend before the new kid moved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
2. What happens when Kenny asks to sign the welfare list to pay for his groceries?
3. What are the Watsons doing at the very beginning of the book?
4. What does Byron do after accidentally killing the bird on the phone wire?
5. Why does Momma bundle up her kids so much when it gets cold?
6. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
7. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
8. How does Kenny react to seeing Larry get beat up for stealing Kenny's gloves?
9. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
10. What is the biggest addition Dad makes to the car in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)