|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenny pretend Byron is after he sees what he did to his hair in Chapter 7?
2. What is the name of the store owner?
3. Why does Kenny not get bullied as much as other kids like him?
4. Who is the King of the 4th grade?
5. What is Momma's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Byron seem to like about being in Alabama?
2. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
3. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
4. What caused what Kenny heard in the back yard, and how does he discover this?
5. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
6. How does Kenny react to seeing Larry get beat up for stealing Kenny's gloves?
7. What does Kenny see Momma and Dad doing after the incident with Byron's hair?
8. Why does Momma bundle up her kids so much when it gets cold?
9. What does Dad say Momma's old boyfriend said to try to keep her from marrying Dad?
10. What is true about the church bombing in this book?
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What happened when Byron threw a cookie at the bird? How did this event change Byron, and how did this change affect the other characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Joetta has a pure and compassionate heart. How does she show this compassion, and in what ways does this compassion of hers change the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)