|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the King of the school, according to Chapter 2?
2. Why does the new kid stop eating lunch with Kenny for a while?
3. During which season does the story begin?
4. Why did Kenny stop being friends with the boy he used to play with before the new kid moved in?
5. Why is the method Momma suggests for buying food in Chapter 6 so embarrassing at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dad do after seeing what Byron did to his hair?
2. What does Momma do when she realizes what Byron is doing in the locked bathroom?
3. How does Kenny tease Byron after seeing his hair?
4. What happens when Kenny asks to sign the welfare list to pay for his groceries?
5. In Chapter 3, how does Kenny feel about havng to sit by the new kid at first, and why?
6. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
7. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
8. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
9. What does Dad say Momma's old boyfriend said to try to keep her from marrying Dad?
10. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
How is the role of discipline presented in this book, and what are the most successful methods used? How do these methods shape the personality of the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)