|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Momma send Byron after Momma sees his hair?
2. Where will Byron stay for the summer?
3. What is Kenny's favorite morning smell?
4. Who does Momma send to the store for food in Chapter 6?
5. Why is Dad fixing up the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
2. What does Dad do after seeing what Byron did to his hair?
3. How does Byron react when Kenny comes to his class to read?
4. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
5. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
6. What do the other kids tease Rufus and Cody about?
7. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
8. Why has Dad been making so many repairs to the car in Chapter 8?
9. What does Momma do to try to help Byron get his lips off the mirror?
10. How does Momma soothe Rufus's hurt feelings for Kenny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the stories Byron told, and how did they affect the characters who heard them?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)