|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for Dad's car?
2. What does Kenny call his brother at the beginning of the book?
3. How does the person who steals Kenny's gloves try to hide the fact that they are stolen?
4. What does Momma say to Dad when he gets home after Byron changed his hair?
5. What is Momma's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kenny react to seeing Larry get beat up for stealing Kenny's gloves?
2. What does Byron do after accidentally killing the bird on the phone wire?
3. What does Kenny like to watch his father do in the mornings, and why?
4. What do the other kids tease Rufus and Cody about?
5. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
6. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
7. What happens when Kenny asks to sign the welfare list to pay for his groceries?
8. What does Dad say Momma's old boyfriend said to try to keep her from marrying Dad?
9. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
10. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Byron able to help Kenny heal from the events that took place at the church in Montgomery? How did Byron's interaction change Kenny's perspective on things?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Where in this plot did violence take a place, and how did these included moments of violence change the characters in the book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)