|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Momma bundle her kids up so much in the winter?
2. What does Kenny call his brother at the beginning of the book?
3. What part of Byron does Momma use to pull him out of the bathroom?
4. What is the name of the biggest addition to the car in Chapter 8?
5. What style of hair does Byron say he wanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dad say Momma's old boyfriend said to try to keep her from marrying Dad?
2. Why has Dad been making so many repairs to the car in Chapter 8?
3. What does Kenny like to watch his father do in the mornings, and why?
4. How does Momma soothe Rufus's hurt feelings for Kenny?
5. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
6. What are the Watsons doing at the very beginning of the book?
7. What does Kenny see Momma and Dad doing after the incident with Byron's hair?
8. What does Momma do to try to help Byron get his lips off the mirror?
9. Why does Kenny say he is the kind of kid who gets teased?
10. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the family dynamics of the Watson family, and how do these relationships change over the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the stories Byron told, and how did they affect the characters who heard them?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)