|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of hair does Byron say he wanted?
2. Where did the new boy in Kenny's class move from?
3. What is wrong with Kenny's eyes?
4. Why does Dad want to go to his sister's house at the beginning of the book?
5. Who does Momma send to the store for food in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
2. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
3. What does Momma do to try to help Byron get his lips off the mirror?
4. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
5. What does Kenny say to tease Byron as they drive to Cyndey's house?
6. How does Byron react when Kenny comes to his class to read?
7. What does Kenny like to watch his father do in the mornings, and why?
8. What does Dad do after seeing what Byron did to his hair?
9. What does Kenny see Byron doing in the locked bathroom?
10. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the Watsons decide to make the trek down to Alabama, and how did this trip change the lives of each member of the family?
Essay Topic 2
How is Byron able to help Kenny heal from the events that took place at the church in Montgomery? How did Byron's interaction change Kenny's perspective on things?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)