|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma say to Dad when he gets home after Byron changed his hair?
2. What part of Byron does Momma use to pull him out of the bathroom?
3. Who does Kenny give one of his extra pairs of gloves to?
4. What does Kenny like to do most?
5. How many pairs of gloves does Momma buy for each child every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kenny stop playing with LJ?
2. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
3. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
4. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
5. What are the Watsons doing at the very beginning of the book?
6. What happens when Kenny finds a dollar at school?
7. What is the biggest addition Dad makes to the car in Chapter 8?
8. What does Momma do to try to help Byron get his lips off the mirror?
9. How does Byron react when Kenny comes to his class to read?
10. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Byron is incredibly protective of his little brother. What are some of the ways this protective feeling is shown, and how do these moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Watsons decide to make the trek down to Alabama, and how did this trip change the lives of each member of the family?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)