|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7?
2. Why did Kenny stop being friends with the boy he used to play with before the new kid moved in?
3. How does Kenny feel when he has to sit next to the new boy?
4. Who does Momma send to the store for food in Chapter 6?
5. What does Kenny suggest Byron should do before Momma can punish him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Kenny asks to sign the welfare list to pay for his groceries?
2. How does Kenny react to seeing Larry get beat up for stealing Kenny's gloves?
3. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7 and why?
4. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
5. Why did Kenny stop playing with LJ?
6. How does Kenny try to help Rufus stay warm in the winter?
7. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
8. What does Byron say to get Joetta to stop complaining about the warm clothes?
9. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
10. What does Momma do when she realizes what Byron is doing in the locked bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)