|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Byron does Momma use to pull him out of the bathroom?
2. What does Joey stop doing after Byron talks to her about the garbage trucks?
3. Where does Momma send Byron after Momma sees his hair?
4. What is Joetta's nickname?
5. How does Kenny feel when he has to sit next to the new boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kenny tease Byron after seeing his hair?
2. Where does Grandma warn the children not to go, and why?
3. What does Byron do to his hair in Chapter 7 and why?
4. How does Kenny describe the social hierarchy at Clark Elementary School?
5. What does Momma do to try to help Byron get his lips off the mirror?
6. What does Kenny see Momma and Dad doing after the incident with Byron's hair?
7. Why does Kenny feel he won a small victory during the car ride in Chapter 9?
8. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
9. What surprises Kenny about Birmingham when they finally get there?
10. What does Momma do when she realizes what Byron is doing in the locked bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Kenny has a somewhat negative view of his intellect. Where does this view come from, and how has this affected his personality and his place in the school?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)