|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Epilogue talk about?
(a) The true bombing.
(b) Civil rights.
(d) African American culture.
2. What are the kids upset about at the first stop on their road trip?
(a) There are no vending machines.
(b) The stop is at a tiny shack.
(c) There are only outhouses.
(d) There is a drinking fountain for colored people.
3. Who did Dad tell about his plan to drive through the night?
(a) Mrs. Davidson.
(b) Mr. Johnson.
(c) Mr. Martinez.
(d) Ms. Jones.
4. What does Kenny take from the place where the big boom occurred?
(a) A ribbon.
(b) A burned brick.
(c) A piece of charred wood.
(d) A shoe.
5. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron?
(a) To go to the store.
(b) To fetch some water.
(c) To feed the chickens.
(d) To cut some wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of house did Kenny think Grandma lived in?
2. What is Kenny's favorite song?
3. What street did the church bombing in Birmingham take place?
4. What does Dad call the family when they all wake up in the car in Chapter 11?
5. Who does Dad think is responsible for the big boom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused what Kenny heard in the back yard, and how does he discover this?
2. Why does Dad tell Kenny that Byron needs to go to Alabama for a time?
3. What was Kenny ashamed about after the bombing?
4. What does the author ask his readers to do at the end of the book?
5. What is the first chore Grandma gives Byron, and how does he respond to this?
6. How does Momma prepare for the trip to Alabama?
7. What has Dad planned for the trip despite Momma's intense research?
8. What surprises Kenny about Birmingham when they finally get there?
9. What do Kenny and Byron trade off doing while driving in Chapter 10?
10. What does Byron seem to like about being in Alabama?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)