|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the store owner confused when the two children ask to sign the welfare list in Chapter 6?
(a) He does not allow people to sign for items.
(b) The Hicks are not on welfare.
(c) There is no list.
(d) He does not recognize them.
2. What does Kenny pretend Byron is after he sees what he did to his hair in Chapter 7?
(a) A hair stylist.
(b) A deathrow inmate.
(c) A crazy person.
(d) A Mexican celebrity.
3. Why is Kenny so grateful when Southern boys start coming to school?
(a) They take the attention off Kenny.
(b) They can be new friends.
(c) They are nice and wealthy.
(d) They can tell him about the south.
4. Why does Kenny not get bullied as much as other kids like him?
(a) Byron is his brother.
(b) He is smarter than the other kids.
(c) He is big for his age.
(d) The kids usually like him.
5. Why does Momma bundle her kids up so much in the winter?
(a) She thinks cold is deadly.
(b) She likes how they look.
(c) She says if she is cold, so are they.
(d) She had a sister die of pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Kenny's eyes?
2. What is Momma's maiden name?
3. What did the new boy used to eat for dinner before he moved?
4. What is the only way to reverse what Byron did to his hair?
5. What is Dad's sister's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Kenny feel about havng to sit by the new kid at first, and why?
2. What does Dad reveal as the final touch to his repairs on the car?
3. What does Kenny see Byron doing in the locked bathroom?
4. What does Kenny like to watch his father do in the mornings, and why?
5. What are the Watsons doing at the very beginning of the book?
6. What makes Byron so happy after leaving the store with Kenny in Chapter 6?
7. What does Momma threaten to do to Byron if he plays with fire again, and why?
8. What do the other kids tease Rufus and Cody about?
9. What happens in Chapter 5 when Momma tries to punish Byron in the way she had threatened?
10. How does Byron react when Kenny comes to his class to read?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)